First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lots of internet tough guys here. But if they can show it truly is the difference in tax charged you likely owe it. There will most likely be a clause in your contract for covering the tax. Validate the claim, and if it is truly tax I wouldn't get into a battle. They can turn it in to your credit report and blown things up for 7 years.

If they can't validate the claim tell them to pound sand.
Sponsored

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Ford will reimburse you"

That's how I would respond.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lots of internet tough guys here. But if they can show it truly is the difference in tax charged you likely owe it. There will most likely be a clause in your contract for covering the tax. Validate the claim, and if it is truly tax I wouldn't get into a battle. They can turn it in to your credit report and blown things up for 7 years.

You're not wrong but at the same time if they biffed him his price protection I'd push back a bit.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two issues at play here, and you probably shouldn’t entangle them.

First off, if they made an honest error calculating the taxes, you really should pay up. People make mistakes.

Secondly, if they aren’t giving you the proper price protection, then hold their feet to the fire. Get help from Ford, lawyers, etc.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You're not wrong but at the same time if they biffed him his price protection I'd push back a bit.
Agreed

First off, if they made an honest error calculating the taxes, you really should pay up. People make mistakes.

Secondly, if they aren’t giving you the proper price protection, then hold their feet to the fire. Get help from Ford, lawyers, etc.
Agree, really shouldn't conflate the separate issues. If they get the OP credit report or a collection service involved they won't care. Deal with the two issues separately.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry Charlie, if papers are signed by both parties,. the dealership doesn't have a leg to stand on, There are people on this forum that understand the law and how it works.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You are right, however, how do people learn? By mistakes, let the dealership or fiance department learn a lesson, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry Charlie, if papers are signed by both parties,. the dealership doesn't have a leg to stand on, There are people on this forum that understand the law and how it works.
You have no idea how their contract reads. If that's how the contract reads, then you're correct. But most contracts make reference to paying proper tax being the customer's responsibility. Giving blanket advice to not resolve the issue with the dealer is bad advice considering the potential negative impacts without actually knowing what the op agreed to.

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In Missouri we pay sales tax at the DMV when we title the truck. Anyway, like someone else said, their computer calculates the tax so they’re probably trying to scam you. Don’t fall for it.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You have no idea how their contract reads. If that's how the contract reads, then you're correct. But most contracts make reference to paying proper tax being the customer's responsibility. Giving blanket advice to not resolve the issue with the dealer is bad advice considering the potential negative impacts without actually knowing what the op agreed to.
You are correct; however, once BOTH parties sign the contract, even if the correct tax isn't calculated correctly, it will fall back on the dealership. When signing the contract, the dealership representative (fiance) takes responsibility for everything being correct. Nowhere in the contract is, "I (dealership) reserve the right to make revisions upon receipt of missing or inaccurate information."

When I was about to sign my contract, I noticed that the dealership added a "Tire and Wheel protection package" and didn't raise my payment. I never asked for it and was never told it was in the deal. If I signed the paperwork and noticed it three days later, do you think the dealership would rewrite the deal to take it out? NOPE. I should have taken the time to ensure what I was signing was correct. Same premises here.

Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are correct; however, once BOTH parties sign the contract, even if the correct tax isn't calculated correctly, it will fall back on the dealership. When signing the contract, the dealership representative (fiance) takes responsibility for everything being correct. Nowhere in the contract is, "I (dealership) reserve the right to make revisions upon receipt of missing or inaccurate information."

When I was about to sign my contract, I noticed that the dealership added a "Tire and Wheel protection package" and didn't raise my payment. I never asked for it and was never told it was in the deal. If I signed the paperwork and noticed it three days later, do you think the dealership would rewrite the deal to take it out? NOPE. I should have taken the time to ensure what I was signing was correct. Same premises here.
No it's not. Most contracts make reference to the fact that the customer is responsible for ensuring the proper sales tax is paid. Most States also require as party registration the sales tax to be paid in full. There is a grayness in this issue that would depend wholly on the wording of the contract and how responsibility for ensuring taxes paid. It is not the same thing as added features, price lock guarantee, and any other number of miscellaneous issues that are product and service related items.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No it's not. Most contracts make reference to the fact that the customer is responsible for ensuring the proper sales tax is paid. Most States also require as party registration the sales tax to be paid in full. There is a grayness in this issue that would depend wholly on the wording of the contract and how responsibility for ensuring taxes paid. It is not the same thing as added features, price lock guarantee, and any other number of miscellaneous issues that are product and service related items.
Lets just disagree here.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are right, however, how do people learn? By mistakes, let the dealership or fiance department learn a lesson, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
People learn when others discover their errors and ask for a correction if necessary. Most people don’t have to be screwed to learn something.
Sponsored