Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lets just disagree here.
Fair enough.

I think my biggest point to make on this is op should work to get resolution. Even if the resolution is getting the dealer to agree OP owes nothing. Just because the op may be right and not know anymore, the dealer could still cause issues with registration, credit reports, in any other headaches that may be a major pain to resolve
Sponsored

Milous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Alto Blu, LUX, Sunroof, delivered 3/18/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After 51 weeks to the day I finally picked up my Maverick last Saturday. Today, 1 week later, I get a call that they charged me the wrong sales tax % and need to collect that extra money.
Can't you just look at your purchase/sales invoice and determine/calculate what would be the correct tax?

Brett currier

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick
After 51 weeks to the day I finally picked up my Maverick last Saturday. Today, 1 week later, I get a call that they charged me the wrong sales tax % and need to collect that extra money. My initial thought is "Sounds like a you problem". I financed the loan through my bank so I have no ties to Ford financing. They raised my price from my original 9/17/21 order $1,144. When I asked about price protection I was told "Ford will reimburse you" which I figured was a lie. The out the door price was exactly what I was comfortable paying, so I moved along with the deal anyways, and still feel like I stole my hybrid XL with copilot, drop in liner, and a few extras for $26.5k out the door. The difference in sales tax I believe is about $600. Should I tell them the beat it since they raised my price $1,144 and tell them to take it from there? Does anyone have any official documentation from Ford about price protection if they do want escalate the situation? Am I overreacting?
My window sticker also indicated a price increase over what I was quoted when I ordered my vehicle in October 2021 however my dealer honored the October price no questions asked so basically I paid below MSRP. With regards to the sales tax I would worry about the state franchise tax board coming after me. I do however think you should find a different Ford dealer going forward.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like their turn to bend over.
After 51 weeks to the day I finally picked up my Maverick last Saturday. Today, 1 week later, I get a call that they charged me the wrong sales tax % and need to collect that extra money. My initial thought is "Sounds like a you problem". I financed the loan through my bank so I have no ties to Ford financing. They raised my price from my original 9/17/21 order $1,144. When I asked about price protection I was told "Ford will reimburse you" which I figured was a lie. The out the door price was exactly what I was comfortable paying, so I moved along with the deal anyways, and still feel like I stole my hybrid XL with copilot, drop in liner, and a few extras for $26.5k out the door. The difference in sales tax I believe is about $600. Should I tell them the beat it since they raised my price $1,144 and tell them to take it from there? Does anyone have any official documentation from Ford about price protection if they do want escalate the situation? Am I overreacting?
What @maggie06 said.

FordDiehard

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As Tim the @fordvideoguy[/USER] has said, as long as the name on the order matches what is reported to Ford at the time of the sale, Ford will reimburse the DEALER the difference in price from the date you ordered and the date your truck arrives at the dealership.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Fair enough.

I think my biggest point to make on this is op should work to get resolution. Even if the resolution is getting the dealer to agree OP owes nothing. Just because the op may be right and not know anymore, the dealer could still cause issues with registration, credit reports, in any other headaches that may be a major pain to resolve
What do you think would happen if the dealership did those things? That is why I said, Lawyer up. Let the lawyer battle it for the OP, it's an uphill battle for the dealership.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

People learn when others discover their errors and ask for a correction if necessary. Most people don’t have to be screwed to learn something.
So the OP should just pay up?

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the OP should just pay up?
Yes, he needs to pay his taxes.

How would you feel if someone screwed you out of $600 for making an honest mistake?

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, he needs to pay his taxes.

How would you feel if someone screwed you out of $600 for making an honest mistake?
Well..... I would be having a conversation with the person who made the mistake; like I said, people will learn from this. Dealerships make money on EVERY deal they make, so they can bump someone's interest rate by .25% to make that $600. But to go back to that customer and say, Hey we made a mistake, and you owe us $600, bad business.

Now if this employee made the same mistake they would be gone.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well..... I would be having a conversation with the person who made the mistake; like I said, people will learn from this. Dealerships make money on EVERY deal they make, so they can bump someone's interest rate by .25% to make that $600. But to go back to that customer and say, Hey we made a mistake, and you owe us $600, bad business.

Now if this employee made the same mistake they would be gone.
So, you’d be fine with having your interest rate increased .25% to cover someone else’s taxes?

Sponsored

AHarris67

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 EB 2.5 XLT 302A, 2004 Chevy 1500HD 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tell them to take a hike

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So, you’d be fine with having your interest rate increased .25% to cover someone else’s taxes?
LOL, you are missing the point.

Dealers mark up rates all the time, ALL THE TIME; the percentage of people who purchase and fiance and don't know what they qualify for is very high. People tell the dealer, I want my payments to be no more than $450/m, and the dealer comes back and says, "Hey, you're in luck, you have good credit, and we got your payment at $451/m, and your interest rate is 4.35%. But the bank rate is 4.1%; this happens every day at dealerships. This is why it is always best to get financing before going to the dealership....

Now, to cut this short, if you are going to respond with, "That doesn't happen," then you don't know how dealerships work.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed

Agree, really shouldn't conflate the separate issues. If they get the OP credit report or a collection service involved they won't care. Deal with the two issues separately.
If they get a collection service involved they most likely just sold their right to collect to the collection service for 10-20% of the balance owed. So the dealership no longer has an interest. The collection service has purchased the right to turn you in, etc.
Sponsored