Blinky

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fiesta ST, 1991 Toyota Dyna
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I personally think plug-in hybrids are a lot better suited to most North American customers and likely to be much easier to get people to move to from full gas power but GM has always been pretty timid when it comes to innovation in their trucks so this news doesn't really shock me.

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I would argue that if GM is pivoting to PHEV then the are closer to the Ford model since Hybrids and probably PHEV is where Ford is going. Just makes more sense to me, until battery technology gets better and we have a better charging infrastructure more people will turn to Hybrids than EV's.

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would argue that if GM is pivoting to PHEV then the are closer to the Ford model since Hybrids and probably PHEV is where Ford is going. Just makes more sense to me, until battery technology gets better and we have a better charging infrastructure more people will turn to Hybrids than EV's.
I bought this book when it came out almost 20 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Plug-Hybrids-Cars-Recharge-America/dp/0865715718

Almost comical how long it’s taken for the manufacturers to catch on.

Sponsored

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As long as there's an ICE in a vehicle, they will have a needlessly large footprint due to current EPA CAFE requirements. Full EV's will be smaller for improved range with smaller and lighter batteries decreasing demands on tires and our highway systems. Just my opinion.

The-X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Making PHEV the sticking point is what killed it. The hybrid mavericks battery is pretty small. You'd need to really start shifting things and compromising to fit a bigger one too. Like no back seat storage or no back seats depending how big the battery.

Chevy can make a no frills vehicle with a power wheels interior that flexes anywhere you poke it we know that. But making a PHEV at a competing price point with a maverick would be very difficult.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The lady at GM does her whirling dervish routine every six months. She changes her mind more often than my wife!!!!

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't blame the OEMs the least bit. They are desperately trying to navigate an insane business landscape.

• Interest rates went from zero to infinity.
  • Covid.
  • A likely recession.
  • UAW.
  • Fickle customers.
  • Government regulations that do a 180 every four years.
  • Competition from Tesla and China - who are moving at lightning fast speed and rendering all the rules you followed for the last 100 years completely irrelevant.
  • an aging ICE workforce protected by law and contracts, who are highly clueless in the new tech and BEV centric world

You try to run a capital intensive business where you have to invest billions six years before you see a single penny of return, while navigating all this chaos around you. See how well you do.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've read that PHEVs are the least financially good choice between EV, ICE, Hybrid, PHEV.

The battery has to be a lot bigger for PHEV. Sure it would be nice to plug in and use less gas, but the Maverick Hybrid is already VERY cramped- they'd have to ditch the spare tire or something to fit bigger battery in.

Sponsored

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't blame the OEMs the least bit. They are desperately trying to navigate an insane business landscape.

• Interest rates went from zero to infinity.
  • Covid.
  • A likely recession.
  • UAW.
  • Fickle customers.
  • Government regulations that do a 180 every four years.
  • Competition from Tesla and China - who are moving at lightning fast speed and rendering all the rules you followed for the last 100 years completely irrelevant.
  • an aging ICE workforce protected by law and contracts, who are highly clueless in the new tech and BEV centric world

You try to run a capital intensive business where you have to invest billions six years before you see a single penny of return, while navigating all this chaos around you. See how well you do.
I don't blame them either, I agree with all your points. Car brands are being required by the government to put more tech and features in cars, which drags up the price. The greedy UAW demands are driving up the expenses of doing business in the U.S. and customers are wanting cars filled with 70k worth of tech and materials for $15,599. It's just not sustainable, something has to give.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

"Greedy" union members built this country.
Where do you think 40 hr work week, medical coverage. 5 day work week, paid vacation, paid holidays, maternity leave, pensions, safe workplace, public education and many more perks came from? Do you really think that the suits sat in their offices dreaming up presents to hand to their employees.
If you don't like unions, go back to the 1900's. And if your kids are over 10, they can work next to you.
People DIED so you can have the cushy life that you have today.

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting read. I’m dumb, but it feels like Ford is making the right moves.

https://electrek.co/2024/02/22/gm-electric-ford-maverick-rival-pipe-dream/
There never was a rival from GM. Maybe there was an idea, never anything for sale at a dealership so effectively nothing. Just rumors and gossip.

GM appears to be stumbling around, drunk, in the dark, lost from where I sit. They promised total electrification now they are backtracking.

I remember circa 2011 when Ford said over and over there was no market for compact or midsize truck in North America. All the while selling over 80,000 Ranger in it's last year when it was far overdue for updates.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There never was a rival from GM. Maybe there was an idea, never anything for sale at a dealership so effectively nothing. Just rumors and gossip.

GM appears to be stumbling around, drunk, in the dark, lost from where I sit. They promised total electrification now they are backtracking.

I remember circa 2011 when Ford said over and over there was no market for compact or midsize truck in North America. All the while selling over 80,000 Ranger in it's last year when it was far overdue for updates.
Mary Barra is "The Peter Principal" in action.

What Is the Peter Principle? The Peter Principle is an observation that the tendency in most organizational hierarchies, such as that of a corporation, is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach a level of respective incompetence.

She is in way over her head and should go back to running a neighborhood PTA bake sale.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I personally think plug-in hybrids are a lot better suited to most North American customers and likely to be much easier to get people to move to from full gas power but GM has always been pretty timid when it comes to innovation in their trucks so this news doesn't really shock me.
According to Consumer Reports 2023 survey (330K vehicles), hybrids were the most reliable, followed by ICE, then EVs a distant third, and PHEVs dead last.
Consumer Reports said:
On average, hybrids are 26 percent more reliable than vehicles with only an internal combustion engine, but PHEVs are 146 percent less reliable.
I'd stay ICE or hybrid for now, as Ford has done with the Maverick.
Sponsored