2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Dealer said FX4 package would have a gentler ride quality on road compared to the suspension of the non FX4 package.

In your opinion; any truth to this?
Sponsored

JUrban

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Stinger, '14 F-Type, '09 G8 GXP, '22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is he confusing the FWD torsion beam with the AWD suspension? Wasn't aware of any suspension changes with the FX4 and I don't see the pirellis being different enough from the base tires to make a difference.

I do have an FX4 and the ride is fantastic, but I don't see why the non-FX4 wouldn't be either.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealer said FX4 package would have a gentler ride quality on road compared to the suspension of the non FX4 package.

In your opinion; any truth to this?
I sold my 2019 Ranger FX4 and now have an FX4 Maverick. There is absolutely no comparison between the two!

Ranger FX4 - bouncy as F! I liked the ride, it was kinda fun driving...but not fun for passengers, my wife hated it. It was extremely bouncy, exponentially more than any of the past 20 vehicles I have owned.

Maverick FX4 - steering is tight and reasonably responsive, and the ride is firm but compliant - road driving most bumps are well absorbed. I LOVE it after 500 miles! Honestly, I'd compare it with some of the nicer cars I've owned - Infiniti G35/Q40, FX35, Dodge Challenger GT AWD, even the Focus ST. Definitely better than any of the SUVs we've owned (Rogue, CR-v, Element).

No complaints so far from me, and my wife was immediately pleased as well.

OP
OP
shizelbs

shizelbs

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Is he confusing the FWD torsion beam with the AWD suspension? Wasn't aware of any suspension changes with the FX4 and I don't see the pirellis being different enough from the base tires to make a difference.

I do have an FX4 and the ride is fantastic, but I don't see why the non-FX4 wouldn't be either.
No idea. I suspect he was exploiting an opportunity to upsell me to the FX4 package. In other words, blowing smoke.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I believe there is a difference in the rear, with the FX4 having monotube shocks. I agree, fx4 ride is absolutely great.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No idea. I suspect he was exploiting an opportunity to upsell me to the FX4 package. In other words, blowing smoke.
While I didn't get an opportunity to drive a non-FX4, I wouldn't trade my current choice FWIW! For $800 bucks, what you get to me was a solid value, but at the end of the day it is largely cosmetic - there is some performance related changes, but I don't think that would be the sole reason to choose it over non-FX4 (in an XLT you're also getting the larger 6.5inch screen - that plus the wheels were my primary decision makers).

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There will be some *very slight* differences because of the hardware, but I seriously doubt the average person will ever notice.

Instead, I would either get, or not get, the FX4 package based on the utility of the contents, NOT as a ride enhancement.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a difference. There are some photos of each type of suspension here at MTC. The AWD/FX4 has Independent multi-link trailing arm suspension with mono-tube hydraulic gas-pressurized dampers with hydraulic rebound stop, coil springs, stabilizer bar, steel sub-frame and cast knuckle. FX4 package includes - Off-road tuned shock absorbers. With the AWD, should ride better due to multilink IRS instead of solid axle w/leaf spring.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a difference. There are some photos of each type of suspension here at MTC. The AWD/FX4 has Independent multi-link trailing arm suspension with mono-tube hydraulic gas-pressurized dampers with hydraulic rebound stop, coil springs, stabilizer bar, steel sub-frame and cast knuckle. FX4 package includes - Off-road tuned shock absorbers. With the AWD, should ride better due to multilink IRS instead of solid axle w/leaf spring.
The question was FX4 vs non-FX4, not AWD vs FWD.

The only negligible difference is the shocks, which again, the average person will never notice in on-road ride quality.

Sponsored

kcirevam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, Jeep, MINI
Engine
Undecided
There is no solid axle on any of the Mavericks

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the AWD, should ride better due to multilink IRS instead of solid axle w/leaf spring.
WTF, FWD are semi-independent twist beam with coil springs... well "fancy" coil springs per Ford with force vectoring.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I got the FX4 because I wanted it and the added features appealed to me.
Get what you want, not the blah blah of others

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Give me 6 months and I’ll have an answer for you, lol…
My test drive is identical to my ordered truck except for FX4 and colour.
Sponsored