Firecap18

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX,
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey, I’ve had an awd lariat ecoboost ordered with the 4k tow since October. I doubt I’ll tow much if at all but wanted the 3.81 gear and trans cooler plus other features. Thought it was worth it for about 800. I also added 17 inch wheels with the Wildpeaks because I like the more aggressive look.
I’ve been twisting back and forth on adding the fx4 package. Mainly I like the look of the tow hooks and the added mechanical components plus skid plates are a good deal as well.
I have a few questions:
1. If you’ve driven fx4 and non fx4 is there a noticeable increase in ride stiffness? I know there is on the F150. Just wonder if the same would be true on fx4.
2. Is it really that much of an added aggravation to remove skid plates to change the oil filter as opposed to the plastic sheathing on the non fx4? If I don’t do it do the shops charge more for the added labor on oil changes.
3. I am torn over losing eco and sport mode if I go fx4 even though I rarely use either in my vehicles that have it. Eco isn’t worth the fuel savings for the lack of response most manufacturers eco modes provide. I do occasionally put into sport but don’t like winding the rpms out too high so it’s a rare occasion I use it.
Are the mud ruts sand modes more adaptive to conditions than just having normal and slippery ? I’m thinking snow mostly but maybe I’ll take it off road if I can find anyplace in massachusetts. Very few places for off-roading.
Sponsored

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When you go fx4 you never go back

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Like a vast majority of people I have only driven what I have. I have fx4 and 4k. Having been through several bak operations ride is King for me. This pickup rides like a dream off and on the road. Have 3,000. I have never used the modes but ould like the eco and I understand it can be added later. Yes the skid plate is a PITA but once every 10K is just a slight nuisance. Would i order it the same, yes. my two cents.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Only driven my FX4 - but I love it. I find it sporty and responsive, but not so overly firm as to be harsh. Night and day vs my 2019 FX4 Ranger which was bouncy as hell (as the driver it was sort of fun, but annoying - passengers did not enjoy). No complaints from my wife either, and she absolutely hated the Ranger's ride (would not drive it, always complained about the bumpy ride).

With that said, on an XLT you're getting the upgraded screen which is already included in the Lariat. I bought it primarily for the screen, wheels and rear suspension upgrade. Ultimately up to you to determine whether it is worth it based on what you'd be missing!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Firecap18

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX,
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Like a vast majority of people I have only driven what I have. I have fx4 and 4k. Having been through several bak operations ride is King for me. This pickup rides like a dream off and on the road. Have 3,000. I have never used the modes but ould like the eco and I understand it can be added later. Yes the skid plate is a PITA but once every 10K is just a slight nuisance. Would i order it the same, yes. my two cents.
Thank you. I’m in the same boat as you. Back and neck issues that a bad ride would make miserable. I Appreciate your thoughts

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It’s my understanding that fx4 rear shocks are the only difference - so I don’t believe there’s much ride quality disparity between non-fx4? Not like the bigger brothers ranger/f150. I have only test driven a plain awd a few miles but I own an fx4 and I didn’t notice any difference but I wasn’t looking for any at that time either.

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you. I’m in the same boat as you. Back and neck issues that a bad ride would make miserable. I Appreciate your thoughts
Also you get 17 inch wheels which gets you away from low profile tires. Low profile handle better but also gives a much stiffer ride.
Sponsored