First Name
Burnt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coyote, Lanche, Nauti,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m not a black-wheel or off-road guy. So, I’m leaning away from FX4 Package. (I’m planning on ordering a Lariat, EB, AWD.)
Plus, I think I want the other drive-modes (Eco, Sport). I understand there is a gearing difference. Is it detectable ?

FX 4

reasons for ?
reasons against ?

help

thanks,
BK
Sponsored

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m not a black-wheel or off-road guy. So, I’m leaning away from FX4 Package. (I’m planning on ordering a Lariat, EB, AWD.)
Plus, I think I want the other drive-modes (Eco, Sport). I understand there is a gearing difference. Is it detectable ?

FX 4

reasons for ?
reasons against ?

help

thanks,
BK
The reviews I have seen really like sport mode. That is why I did not order FX4 on purpose even though it is cheap. Losing sport mode on a 250hp engine vs off road mode for what is really a softroader that will be rarely used did not make sense to me. Unless you want to lift this low profile truck to make it look like a Tremor I would not lose sport or eco modes. Regular AWD will handle dirt roads to the trailhead just fine.

Oh and there are about 15 bolts you have to pay to remove the FX4 skidplate at every oil change.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I need the skidplat for my road, and the gearing for my driveway. Could care less about wheels all new ones are ugly.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, Ford has FX4 and 4K Tow packaged dumb. Too much redundancy. I went with the 4K Tow because that had more value to me than an off-road package on a unibody truck, and I wasn't buying both packages. YMMV.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
We thought the 4K tow package offered more value than the FX4 package. We won't be doing any serious off-roading but we do have a 8x12 flatbed trailer we tow around a lot so that's why we went with the 4K tow.

I guess it just depends on the person and what they need most out of their truck. For us it was the tow package but I can totally see the FX4 as something other buyers would want to.

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even in FX4 trim it's not a real off road truck. So if you don't like the style, skip it

HarlzMav

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Genesis coupe
I'm personally getting the Fx4 and the 4k towing packages.

The Fx4 gives the 6.5 Instrument cluster, tow hooks, hill descent and skid plates. as well as the heavy duty cooling fan and radiator.

The 4k package gives a 7 pin connector over the 4 and a transmission oil cooler and gearing which are the two sell points for me.

My personal reasoning is I could live without the 6.5 and tow hooks, but if I am going to get the tow package, it offers a "upgraded cooling fan and a higher capacity radiator". Now the upgraded and higher capacity may be the same exact thing as the heavy duty given with the Fx4 but I don't know, but for how affordable the truck is, screw it. I'll take the 6.5in cluster, tow hooks, and hill descent and skid plates and know if I do find a nice trail I am protected and rescuable.

derfolo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC 40
I just picked up my Lariat/AWD/4K, I live in Minnesota. We just had a quick storm blow through with some ice and snow, and the truck feels very sure footed with just the AWD. We plan to do some teardrop trailer camping and sometimes I need to haul stuff in a trailer. But we never plan to do any actual off-roading stuff, so FX4 was not needed.

Deleted member 1483

My 2014 2.0 escape handles everything I can throw at it with that year's Intelligent AWD. The 4k package is way more useful in practice.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Ford really sh*t the bed with the odd ball optioning/option omissions across the trim levels.

Sponsored

felsf50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When financing over many years, the cost monthly for the FX package is a no brainer:)

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When financing over many years, the cost monthly for the FX package is a no brainer:)
I did not want the FX4 stickers messing up the clean look of my nice paint job, especially if they peel or fade over time.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm personally getting the Fx4 and the 4k towing packages.

The Fx4 gives the 6.5 Instrument cluster, tow hooks, hill descent and skid plates. as well as the heavy duty cooling fan and radiator.

The 4k package gives a 7 pin connector over the 4 and a transmission oil cooler and gearing which are the two sell points for me.

My personal reasoning is I could live without the 6.5 and tow hooks, but if I am going to get the tow package, it offers a "upgraded cooling fan and a higher capacity radiator". Now the upgraded and higher capacity may be the same exact thing as the heavy duty given with the Fx4 but I don't know, but for how affordable the truck is, screw it. I'll take the 6.5in cluster, tow hooks, and hill descent and skid plates and know if I do find a nice trail I am protected and rescuable.
I got both as well. The towing package was more important to me and if I had to drop one it would be fx4. I like the rims a lot, (they look a lot better in person than in photos) wanted the bigger screen and tow hooks. Hill descent mode is nice but not necessary. Will probably leave the front skid plate off after the first oil change. The 4k is more value and functionality for your money. The trans cooler should help prolong the life of the trans. Lower diff ratio means quicker off the line and I love a car to be fun to drive.

My thought is that if you want AWD, get the 4k as well since it will upgrade the radiator, fan, read diff and add a transmission cooler. A cooler drive train will last longer. And hey, you will be able to tow 4000lbs which is always useful.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hair dryer and they peel right off.

Reactions: Guv

HarlzMav

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Genesis coupe
This exactly. It's already affordable, I work in sales so I intend to spread it out over an extended period and just pay it off when I have really good months.
Sponsored