Sponsored

FX4 or not for driving paved roads 98% of the time?

SFA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
On the build and price tool, I built a 2.0 AWD Lariat with tow package. Is the FX4 package just overkill ?
I don't plan on going off road, mudding, or rock climbing. it will be on paved roads 98% of the time.
Also what exterior color works best with the blue & brown leather interior ? I'm leaning towards Carbonized Gray.
Throw some ideas at me.
Sponsored

mrrk47

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the build and price tool, I built a 2.0 AWD Lariat with tow package. Is the FX4 package just overkill ?
I don't plan on going off road, mudding, or rock climbing. it will be on paved roads 98% of the time.
Also what exterior color works best with the blue & brown leather interior ? I'm leaning towards Carbonized Gray.
Throw some ideas at me.
The Fx4 pkg gives some colors like A51 a bit more character, the sticker and black wheels pop! Also ,some folks like the better screen.

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Fx4 pkg gives some colors like A51 a bit more character, the sticker and black wheels pop! Also ,some folks like the better screen.
Ford Maverick FX4 or not for driving paved roads 98% of the time? PXL_20211005_134035136

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would say that you certainly do not need it. I have driven less capable vehicles on thousands of miles of dirt roads with few issues. Since you got the tow package, some of the advantages of the FX4 are already built in.

It's not that expensive though, so if you like the look, go for it! I just wouldn't say you need it for what you describe.

Sponsored

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
This little truck is not by any stretch an off-road vehicle so the FX package is more for looks although the falken tires are nice

Reactions: SFA

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This little truck is not by any stretch an off-road vehicle so the FX package is more for looks although the falken tires are nice
I got a good startle the other day driving my old BMW three series (roughly four inches of ground clearance), up a somewhat washed out dirt road to a trailhead. I've done the same with our van and would legit buy light skid plates for it if I could. Even if you're not going to be rock crawling, a few skid plates are nice at times (and the monotube shocks are probably nice as well if you're driving washboard dirt roads). Regular cars will go a lot of places if you drive them with care, and the FX4 package would make things a bit more secure I imagine.

Though in this case, I don't think the OP would need it if staying on pavement most of the time.

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
What's your budget?
Best answer, IMO. I started with a max budget and created my build. Yes, I added the FX4 package and I think it is a good deal for what you get. Zero plans of doing serious off roading, but I do ride on unpaved and gravel roads for some fishing and work. Plus, the dark rims look great, IMO.

ALL the colors with the FX4 package look great. My 3 favorites are Velocity Blue, Cyber Orange, and Rapid Red. Check out the various threads, and see what you like. Finally, establish a budget because you can build a good truck for $30k or <.

p.s. I chose Velocity Blue because it would be the best match for the XLT interior.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had the same thought but decided it's not overkill for the price. I will do a lot more trails and tough spots than it sounds like you will but I still think it might be worth it if you want it.

• The cost is small compared to adding an off-road package to many other vehicles
  • The skid plates are great for if you ever might bottom out on a dirt road even though they are pretty thin
  • The black wheels look pretty cool especially on some colors or on the darker colors - I ordered Alto Blue and the Black wheels look nice - I'm going to tint the front windows to match the back to complete a bit of the blackout effect but I won't be changing any lights or anything
  • Resale value - anything badged with off-road, 4x4 or in this case FX4 will have a higher resale value later
  • Rarity - while many of these might be made in the long run right now it's 60% hybrid so having a truck with 4K and FX4 is going to be more unique which might make the truck hold it's value longer
  • Bigger digital screen on the dash

Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The rear end with the FX4 is pretty stout for this little trucklet-As far as me @ 178 LBS jumping on the tow hitch and testing the bounce :)

Ford Maverick FX4 or not for driving paved roads 98% of the time? FX4 rear end

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Best answer, IMO. I started with a max budget and created my build. Yes, I added the FX4 package and I think it is a good deal for what you get. Zero plans of doing serious off roading, but I do ride on unpaved and gravel roads for some fishing and work. Plus, the dark rims look great, IMO.
Lol. I did basically the opposite. Started by looking at the base I had to pay and then asking is each trim level and option above that worth it?

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed, $800 is a deal for the FX4 package. Love what it offers and the looks sold me on it too.

$800 isn’t much when a dealer charges you $300 to program that 6.5 inch cluster you bought from a wrecked FX4 in 2024 off of eBay for $450 that you installed yourself after 8 hours of cursing in a 100 degree garage in July because it won’t display the mileage correctly until the dealer unlocks it....and you still have to track down a clean set of FX4 wheels, new tires for those wheels, skid plates, tow hooks, shocks, etc. And when you asked a question about the mileage issue on the cluster on social media, someone replies back “should have ordered the FX4 package, it was only $800 or trade it in on a FX4” just to add salt to the wound.

Seen the above situation a thousand times as I typically buy enthusiast vehicles (mustang, camaro, wranglers/Jeep’s, 4Runner, DSM’s, etc.) and been there myself. So when I placed my order, I made sure I added the FX4 because I always liked the FX4 packages on Ford trucks and didn’t want to regret not having it later to save a few dollars upfront. The truck for me is for family fun and utility on a budget so FX4 package fits that niche market space nicely as well.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

ALL the colors with the FX4 package look great. My 3 favorites are Velocity Blue, Cyber Orange, and Rapid Red. Check out the various threads, and see what you like. Finally, establish a budget because you can build a good truck for $30k or <.

p.s. I choose Velocity Blue because it would be the best match for the XLT interior.
James, not sure if you can get better than Alto blue to match the XLT interior. haha

Ford Maverick FX4 or not for driving paved roads 98% of the time? 1633481004994

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
James, not sure if you can get better than Alto blue to match the XLT interior. haha

1633481004994.png
That does look really good!!

Ford Maverick FX4 or not for driving paved roads 98% of the time? 97596017-3C91-4553-B364-92C40601DC5C
Sponsored