First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dont know about the 2. L Maverick but Turbo lag is a thing of the mast in most recent model vehicles. But my car 390hp is not phased with tossing in 200 lbs in the trunl, but my 170hp Honda Element is noticeably affected…Time will tell on the Maverick, but I have one on order but will have see and feel one before committing a delivery.
Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's how I am going to order mine. I believe other than the lower final drive, the 4K tow package includes an oil cooler.
*transmission cooler

plus the higher capacity radiator and cooling fans.
Ford Maverick FWD vs AWD for acceleration? 55841C5C-87F7-4815-A8A6-686AB423E2FA

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for all the responses. Still haven't quite decided between keeping my current hybrid build, swapping out for the 2.0L FWD, or downgrading to the XL and going all out with the 2.0L AWD and 4K tow package (XLT with the AWD and 4K is just outside my budget). Just wish I knew how difficult it's going to be to add cruise control to the XL. That's my main issue, otherwise I don't care about the other XLT features at all and actually prefer the XL interior.
Going from XL to XLT without luxury package isn't a world of difference really as long as you add the IMO mandatory 360 option. The main things XLT pays for around $2.3K is:
  • Cruise control
  • Alarm system
  • Keypad driver's door
  • Power locking tailgate
  • 4 extra bed tiedowns
  • Wiper activated headlamps
  • Upgraded wheel/tire package
Upgraded wheels/tires/TPMS is probably going to run you $1600 alone, unless you can get some used takeoffs for someone upgrading their Lariat/XLT. So $700 for all the rest isn't that much.

Going from Hybrid FWD to Ecoboost FWD is only $1,085. A very small increase and will mostly just be a question of economy and low-maintenance vs much better performance.

But going from a Hybrid FWD to Ecoboost AWD 4K tow package is $1,085+$3,305+745= $5,135.

IMO you won't really notice much of a difference just Goosing your Maverick from a red light or stop sign as shown in the video in a straight line. Biggest difference AWD will make is when you've cranked the steering wheel over a bit, where the front tires are already taxed from turning AND you try to add power at the same time it'll plow, but you can work around that with your driving style simply separating the two. And of course if you were launching a boat or something and its slippery or not well maintained, a FWD may end up clawing like crazy where AWD would pull you out fine. And if you need to tow more than 2Klbs and need that brake controller, they removed the option of FWD 4K towing package for the time being making that decision easier.

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
FWD with the 2.0L will just spin and spin. AWD will spin just a touch and then hook right up and you're moving. I'd test drive a 2.0L Escape FWD and AWD, and then the hybrid if you can. Best performance all around will be AWD w/ 2.0L. The FWD EcoBoost would only have a chance at taking an AWD 2.0L off the line if it has slicks.
If the 2.0 can spin all 4 i'll eat my hat.

I had a 2.5 liter 2010 wrx that I pushed 22 lbs of boost through, it would barely chirp the tires dropping the clutch at 4500 (I abused that vehicle). It was 305 hp at the wheels with my mods, theres very little chance of the maverick AWD slipping because of power. Not to say it wont be a fun drive, but its not "spin all 4 tires" fast, no way, no how.

Sponsored

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O

I had a 2.5 liter 2010 wrx that I pushed 22 lbs of boost through, it would barely chirp the tires dropping the clutch at 4500 (I abused that vehicle). It was 305 hp at the wheels with my mods, theres very little chance of the maverick AWD slipping because of power. Not to say it wont be a fun drive, but its not "spin all 4 tires" fast, no way, no how.
The 2020 2.0L AWD Escape I drove spun them all in Sport from a dead stop. Go drive one and see for yourself. I don't know if the Maverick will as it's a few hundred lbs heavier, that will certainly make a difference. The Escape is rowdy, had no problem spinning all four of the little 225/60R18 Primacy tires.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

If you can't drive one, have a watch boss. Better get your fork and knife ready to chomp that hat.
2020 Ford Escape 0-60 (2.0 TURBO AWD) - YouTube

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

What tires did you have on the WRX? I'm guessing you didn't have some narrow, 25 lb all-season like the Escape has. As you know, tires have a hell of an impact on wheelspin of course. Put a better tire on the Escape I drove and I'm sure there'd be little to no spin. But in factory form, they were all spinning.

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
What tires did you have on the WRX? I'm guessing you didn't have some narrow, 25 lb all-season like the Escape has. As you know, tires have a hell of an impact on wheelspin of course. Put a better tire on the Escape I drove and I'm sure there'd be little to no spin. But in factory form, they were all spinning.
I had Bridgestone potenza 760 as 225/45/r17 are you saying that 250hp can spin 4 cheap all season tires on a whim? I also had a 2017 escape with the 2.0 ecoboost and never once got any power induced wheel spin. I drove that one hard too, but not quite like the wrx.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had Bridgestone potenza 760 as 225/45/r17 are you saying that 250hp can spin 4 cheap all season tires on a whim? I also had a 2017 escape with the 2.0 ecoboost and never once got any power induced wheel spin. I drove that one hard too, but not quite like the wrx.
2020 was improved from 2017, lighter as well. Didn't you watch the clip? Quite exactly what my experience was. Gun from a stop and all four spun.

2020 Ford Escape 0-60 (2.0 TURBO AWD) - YouTube

Sponsored

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 4K package with lower final drive ratio will negatively impact your highway mpg. Great if you are towing, but if not you are spending more money upfront so that you can spend more money at every fill up. Just a crazy proposition 🤪

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats a fun sounding vehicle, I'm going to need to see more than just the tach and speedo though...

I'll admit that makes me wonder which hat in my house is easiest to eat tho....
Find a dealer nearby with one in stock and test drive for yourself. I don't have any more time to argue on the internet today over something that you could easily do something about yourself instead. There will always be skeptics, but the 2020+ 2.0L AWD Escape RIPS from a stop. Period. Maverick being a few hundred lbs chunkier might not be quite as fun, but still a joy for the most part. Maybe the gearing will make up some of the slack, don't know yet.

OP
OP
TS0323

TS0323

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT Lux in Alto Blue
The 4K package with lower final drive ratio will negatively impact your highway mpg. Great if you are towing, but if not you are spending more money upfront so that you can spend more money at every fill up. Just a crazy proposition 🤪
That's a good point. If I'm being honest, the chance of me towing anything for a few years is very low. At this point I think I'm down to the hybrid and the 2.0L FWD. If I add on AWD and the towing package, I'm going to have to downgrade to the XL to compensate, and I absolutely will need cruise control, so it's a gamble as to how easily that can be added later.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Going from XL to XLT without luxury package isn't a world of difference really as long as you add the IMO mandatory 360 option. The main things XLT pays for around $2.3K is:
  • Cruise control
  • Alarm system
  • Keypad driver's door
  • Power locking tailgate
  • 4 extra bed tiedowns
  • Wiper activated headlamps
  • Upgraded wheel/tire package
Upgraded wheels/tires/TPMS is probably going to run you $1600 alone, unless you can get some used takeoffs for someone upgrading their Lariat/XLT. So $700 for all the rest isn't that much.
Agreed at $1,600 for the wheels, and additional $700 for the rest seEMS very reasonable, and down the road resale will be better. Love your responses, always well thought out and factual.
Sponsored