FWD vs AWD for acceleration?

TS0323

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT Lux in Alto Blue
I have a hybrid XLT on order, but have been seriously considering switching to a 2.0L for a performance boost. From the tech specs, the FWD model is around 150 lbs lighter than the AWD. I live in the south and rarely go off-road, so I don't really need the AWD. Am I correct in thinking that the FWD should be slightly faster in ideal conditions?
Sponsored

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Normally the all wheel drive versions are slightly faster because of traction. This is only when punching it from a dead stop. And that's probably no more than a half of a second.
From a rolling start, there's no advantage to AWD.
Like you, I'm in the south. So opted for FWD. Wish it were RWD, but I guess we can't have it all.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would think so! If I take the rear seats (probably 80 pounds) out of my 170 hp Honda Element it is very noticeable. Going up hills automatic transmission shifts more frequently.

I too am considering switching to 2.0 L EcoBoost

Last edited:

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
I have a hybrid XLT on order, but have been seriously considering switching to a 2.0L for a performance boost. From the tech specs, the FWD model is around 150 lbs lighter than the AWD. I live in the south and rarely go off-road, so I don't really need the AWD. Am I correct in thinking that the FWD should be slightly faster in ideal conditions?
Awd will help you accelerate faster as for top end it doesn't mater fwd or awd its the gears and hp that matter

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
FWD with the 2.0L will just spin and spin. AWD will spin just a touch and then hook right up and you're moving. I'd test drive a 2.0L Escape FWD and AWD, and then the hybrid if you can. Best performance all around will be AWD w/ 2.0L. The FWD EcoBoost would only have a chance at taking an AWD 2.0L off the line if it has slicks.

Sponsored

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And by spin that's if you have traction off/disabled. If not, the FWD will just pull timing until the spinning stops and you can properly accelerate, in which case the AWD will be lengths ahead already.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
0-60 times will be near 6 seconds for the 2.0L AWD, I'd say half second slower for FWD and the hybrid will be around 9.5 seconds, if that helps any.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, straight line performance in a stock compact pickup truck. We want it all in one vehicle. Utility to carry everything we own, haul a trailer up a mountain, speed, power and the manuverability of a small turning radius. Next thing we will want is sports car handling , launch control and a price tag under 20k.​
Seriously, I don't think you will feel difference. This coming from a man who locks in his differential on an f150 at a stop sign on a rural road just so he can feel all the acceleration his truck can provide.​

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And by spin that's if you have traction off/disabled. If not, the FWD will just pull timing until the spinning stops and you can properly accelerate, in which case the AWD will be lengths ahead already.
Not so much in normal driving though.

In reality from a red light or stop sign, you're not going to be brake boosting and you're not going to be using launch control (particularly since it won't exist on a Maverick), to where the traction limitations with a mere 250hp really come into play.

You're just going to be taking your foot off the brake from idle and giving it gas, the launch won't be all that hard on either because the ecoboost is a rather small displacement engine, so it takes a second for the turbo to build to full boost, and so it ends up not really being an issue. I'm not sure the engine is pulling timing either as its boosted so its likely just reducing boost to reduce power and applying the ABS system to the slipping tire to act kind of like a LSD.

I realized this when disappointed with the Golf R compared to just a regular GTI in day to day driving. In regular spirited driving, including giving it the beans coming from a red light, it really doesn't feel any faster thanks to the added weight and driveline losses, and that's with a Golf R having more power to boot. In C&D test the AWD will of course spit out impressive numbers, because they'll clutch dump or other such shenanigans that you just generally aren't going to do and is hard on the transmission.

IMO the more day-to-day practical acceleration will be when you're trying to pull out in a gap in traffic, on entrance ramps merging, or just wanting to pass someone quickly on a 2-lane highway, and FWD isn't going to be traction limited and with less weight will feel like a slight power boost thanks to the ~170lb weight reduction.

Here's a 250hp FWD Escape launching normally showing that chirping is minimal, and doesn't happen until it comes into boost, not off the line:

Sponsored

Phil37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Golf Sportwagen, 2012 VW Routan
If you're adding AWD, you might as well get the 4K tow package, as it comes with a lower (higher numerically) final drive gear ratio, 3:81 vs 3.63.

HRG
That's how I am going to order mine. I believe other than the lower final drive, the 4K tow package includes an oil cooler.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t forget that the Maverick AWD system runs in FWD until the front wheels start to slip. Unless your front wheels are really spinning without traction, I don’t think the rears are going to hook up at all. I may be wrong on this and maybe one of the traction modes allows a “locked” situation.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
is it possible to manually disable traction control on Maverick (or any current AWD system)?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t forget that the Maverick AWD system runs in FWD until the front wheels start to slip.
Traditionally true, but I've heard that many are starting to change the programming so the AWD vehicles always start off in AWD from a stop, and then disengage the rear after it gets going. Apparently at very low speeds the extra driveline losses are minimal, so it doesn't really affect fuel economy.

Like with the Bronco Sport, you can see its clearly already locked in AWD:

The HTRAC on the Santa Cruz I found out was also programmed like this, to always start off w/ 50% of power to the rear, and then pull the power if not needed.

OP
OP
TS0323

TS0323

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT Lux in Alto Blue
Thanks for all the responses. Still haven't quite decided between keeping my current hybrid build, swapping out for the 2.0L FWD, or downgrading to the XL and going all out with the 2.0L AWD and 4K tow package (XLT with the AWD and 4K is just outside my budget). Just wish I knew how difficult it's going to be to add cruise control to the XL. That's my main issue, otherwise I don't care about the other XLT features at all and actually prefer the XL interior.
Sponsored