Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I get the availability thing.....a bit of an outlier for model selection. And it makes sense if you don't want to wait for a hybrid. It seems it's more of a default selection, vs. this is what I really want.

If all models were plentiful, I don't see the take rate of a 2.0 FWD being high enough to keep the configuration alive, at the next MMC...... we shall see.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I subscribe to Car and Driver and this months issue featured a full write up on the Mav. One thing they noted in their words was "The optional turbo 2.0 liter pulverizes the front-drivers tires, so be sure to spec all-wheel drive.".
Take that for whatever it's worth. They didn't go into anymore detail.
Thank you, that's a great review and I tend to trust C&D's verdicts. I posted a summary of that review here for anyone that wants to skim: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...-22-maverick-review-summary.8516/#post-174963

Shadowcat50

First Name
Myke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
What torque steer??? This FWD eco boost will roast the tires easily but when compared to a focus ST there is no torque steer

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you leave the FWD 2.0 in eco or slippery mode, you probably would not really have to worry about roasting the tires or torque steer. Both of those modes soften power delivery during takeoff. In eco or slippery mode it Would probably end up with similar power delivery to the Hybrid too, while delivering better MPGs than normal mode 2.0.

EDIT: You know, now that I think about it, everyone is tuning their 2.0 for power delivery, but could you detune the power to increase efficiency? Say end up with a 220 HP 2.0 FWD that got 33-34mpg highway? I know nothing about such things, but I am curious.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
If you leave the FWD 2.0 in eco or slippery mode, you probably would not really have to worry about roasting the tires or torque steer. Both of those modes soften power delivery during takeoff. In eco or slippery mode it Would probably end up with similar power delivery to the Hybrid too, while delivering better MPGs than normal mode 2.0.

EDIT: You know, now that I think about it, everyone is tuning their 2.0 for power delivery, but could you detune the power to increase efficiency? Say end up with a 220 HP 2.0 FWD that got 33-34mpg highway? I know nothing about such things, but I am curious.
Performance mods can increases efficiency to a certain point anyway. Like a less restrictive air intake or exhaust not only increase power but also engine efficiency. Once you start getting into mods like bigger turbos and more aggressive engine tuning then that efficiency starts to fade.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's basically what happens (well probably not that much performance drop) by just running 87 octane. I looked it up before but on another vehicle the Ford rated the 2.0 Ecoboost at I think it was 237hp instead of 250hp if running 87. So that's effectively "detuning" it for economy over peak performance.

That's a good point about just driving the FWD Ecoboost as one would the hybrid for economy with still more passing power and probably quieter running too from what I've heard.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Try a Focus ST, lol! Wheel hop for days on a similar power FWD ecoboost. 🤪
Not quite, manual transmission & more than likely sticky tires, neither apply to the Maverick. I will revisit this when I get mine.

Dfw Maverick

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick fx4
I can make all 4 tires spin with my tuned eb awd fx4 😈

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A problem the Mk3 Focus ST's had was the motor mounts were too soft and allowed the engine to move quite a bit under hard acceleration which contributed to the wheel hop. Some owners replaced the factory mounts with tougher aftermarket ones.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

Dfw Maverick

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick fx4
If its anymore than a chirp on dry pavement, I don't believe it!
Sand mode takes the traction off and your tires will spin at full speed 😎

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Performance mods can increases efficiency to a certain point anyway. Like a less restrictive air intake or exhaust not only increase power but also engine efficiency. Once you start getting into mods like bigger turbos and more aggressive engine tuning then that efficiency starts to fade.
Lowering intake restriction and exhaust back pressure on anything that is not burdened with a heavy load (inside the vehicle or on a trailer......) is not going to affect fuel economy. Air flow plumbing in and out of the engine was sized to allow the max power/tq the engine can produce, especially today. At part load conditions, the intake filtering system and exhaust system are being used well below their max flow capacity, reducing flow restriction on either will do nothing.
Running 87 will lower power and efficiency.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have browsed youtube and online reviews, and haven't seen any comparison of FWD vs AWD Ecoboost acceleration times, brake boosted and regular launch.

Anyone have seen any or have a FWD model and would like to do a test? I'm also curious how the torque steer is on FWD models. I'm leaning towards a FWD Ecoboost, if I were to order from Granger, but the 31st last day to order is coming up quick!
There's a little torque steer but minimal... I end up chirping the tires from a quick start with the steering turned a bit, but otherwise I don't feel it.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lowering intake restriction and exhaust back pressure on anything that is not burdened with a heavy load (inside the vehicle or on a trailer......) is not going to affect fuel economy. Air flow plumbing in and out of the engine was sized to allow the max power/tq the engine can produce, especially today. At part load conditions, the intake filtering system and exhaust system are being used well below their max flow capacity, reducing flow restriction on either will do nothing.
Running 87 will lower power and efficiency.
I disagree to a point.
The OEM intake/exhaust are designed for max engine efficiency but also for sound suppression. A cone filter w/a smooth sided intake will flow faster (more efficiently) but will also trumpet the intake noise out. Exhaust as you can imagine has the same effect.
Sponsored