First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With folk installing mods like the Velossa Tech air scoop, I've been examining things a little closer and can't help but scratch my head a bit. I may very well be missing something here but, especially with the top portion of the grill being blocked off and the radiator shroud being where it is in relation to where air is supposed to channel into the air duct before the airbox, I'm not quite clear on where/how Ford intended any meaningful amount of outside air to enter into the air duct. 🤔
Sponsored

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The down stroke of the pistons on the intake cycle creates a vacuum which pulls air in through the air intake. As long as there isn't some big blockage of air flow, the engine will get the air it needs.
I think it's kind of funny when people add these air intakes and such and then use 87 octane gas. The ecoboost loses something like 8 HP when using 87 octane vs 93 octane.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The down stroke of the pistons on the intake cycle creates a vacuum which pulls air in through the air intake.
If your turbo is broken. Don't forget this is forced induction land. The intake manifold is gonna be sitting above ambient and the turbocharger is doing the sucking.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The down stroke of the pistons on the intake cycle creates a vacuum which pulls air in through the air intake. As long as there isn't some big blockage of air flow, the engine will get the air it needs.
I think it's kind of funny when people add these air intakes and such and then use 87 octane gas. The ecoboost loses something like 8 HP when using 87 octane vs 93 octane.
I believe I read that it's actually 13hp, I have used both fuels & it feels like much more than 13hp using 91 vs 87. If you look at dyno graphs of tunes, it seems the big gains are in the midrange, which is probably why it feels like more, in that area it is.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well you can't really see where the opening is & I'm sure not going to take all that apart to look for it, but all you need is positive pressure to get air in there.

90% of what "cold air induct" systems do is make the engine louder so it seems faster. With a turbo the air into the engine is limited by the pressure setpoint, so you get exactly zero benefit of getting air to the turbo easier. I'm guessing a cold air inlet (or functional scoop) wouldn't even make it louder, since it isn't directly connected to the intake.

Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
snake oil I'm afraid

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well you can't really see where the opening is & I'm sure not going to take all that apart to look for it, but all you need is positive pressure to get air in there.

90% of what "cold air induct" systems do is make the engine louder so it seems faster. With a turbo the air into the engine is limited by the pressure setpoint, so you get exactly zero benefit of getting air to the turbo easier. I'm guessing a cold air inlet (or functional scoop) wouldn't even make it louder, since it isn't directly connected to the intake.

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I disagree with not being able to make additional power pre-turbo. Our "C" pipe that attaches right to the turbo is pretty small, and chambered for NVH. I have not done back to back testing, but the turbo "fighting" additional vacuum pre-turbo is a hindrance.

In the VAG world, there have been proven dyno gains time and time again opening up the turbo inlet elbow makes power. I'm not saying our stock turbo on a stock tune would see gains, but for guys like me that are pushing much more airflow, there are definitely benefits.

As to the Op's original question, the incoming air rides upwards against the hood, and over the radiator to be supplied to the intake box.