Sponsored

Fully Electric Maverick EV hint dropped by Ford??

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Did Mike Levine (director of Ford vehicle communications) just hint at an electric Maverick BEV?

that’s the new VW/Ford platform they are working on. Should be out by 2025ish. It will be available for
Escape, Bronco sport, Maverick, Edge.
they are also working on a bigger version, (kinda like the F150 Lightning) but more universal (like Lightning + Mustang Mach E) so they can make more vehicles on the same platform
Bronco, Ranger, Explorer, F150 Expedition. So Ford will have 2 platforms for their entire line up.

their goal is 2025. And who know if one or all the cars Will hit at the same time.

either way it will likely be after the Maverick gets a facelift/ update.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I am not entirely sold on dedicated EV yet. This time around I would have serious considered a Plug-in Hybrid with power meeting or exceeding 2.0L EB.

With that said, if a dedicated EV version did come to light, had around 350 miles of range, excellent power, AWD, I would seriously, at least, consider such configuration. The Maverick form factor makes sense for a product like such.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I am not entirely sold on dedicated EV yet. This time around I would have serious considered a Plug-in Hybrid with power meeting or exceeding 2.0L EB.

With that said, if a dedicated EV version did come to light, had around 350 miles of range, excellent power, AWD, I would seriously, at least, consider such configuration. The Maverick form factor makes sense for a product like such.
I think I’m the next year or so (once production is full swig with no parts issues)
Once ford has recouped it’s RnD costs.
They start making a good profit and the market is still hot. I think you will see more.

first AWD hybrid. Easy enough. I think that could come for the 2023 model year

second PHEV. Same system as the Escape. Basically the Hybrid system with a bigger battery. (14kwh vs 1.1kwh)
will give you 30+ miles of electric range. They may give the Maverick a bigger battery than Escape. That will definitely be ONLY FWD. that could be as early as 2023. Could be a little later depending on how the Hybrid sells.

third is full EV. I don’t expect that too soon. That will likely come when they show off the new Ford/VW “EV Skateboards” in 2025-ish

that EV should give well more than 300 miles range. And a BOAT load of torque.

Sponsored

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I’m the next year or so (once production is full swig with no parts issues)
Once ford has recouped it’s RnD costs.
They start making a good profit and the market is still hot. I think you will see more.

first AWD hybrid. Easy enough. I think that could come for the 2023 model year

second PHEV. Same system as the Escape. Basically the Hybrid system with a bigger battery. (14kwh vs 1.1kwh)
will give you 30+ miles of electric range. They may give the Maverick a bigger battery than Escape. That will definitely be ONLY FWD. that could be as early as 2023. Could be a little later depending on how the Hybrid sells.

third is full EV. I don’t expect that too soon. That will likely come when they show off the new Ford/VW “EV Skateboards” in 2025-ish

that EV should give well more than 300 miles range. And a BOAT load of torque.
I’m guessing the AWD hybrid and PHEV will be the same car as I doubt they could make the current hybrid system AWD (not enough power or provisions to drive rear wheels). Having a larger battery (thus PHEV) will allow them to have an entirely electric rear axle (upping the system power in the process). The Lincoln Corsair PHEV has this system and makes around 270hp total if I am not mistaken. Maybe MY23 but I’m guessing more likely MY24 considering both the Escape and Corsair PHEVs have yet to launch.

Fixer upper

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy spark
Did Mike Levine (director of Ford vehicle communications) just hint at an electric Maverick BEV?

I think he is saying there is more of a market for a $20k hybrid than there is for a $40k maverick EV

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's little to no incentive for Ford to tell people an EV version is coming down the road, particularly if they don't have good information on it. It confuses consumers and, probably worse, cannibalizes real sales now for for theoretical sales later. You can look up what happened to the Hudson H9 for a real example of the Osborne Effect.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think he is saying there is more of a market for a $20k hybrid than there is for a $40k maverick EV
The Lightning gets real expensive real fast. How much cheaper could a Maverick EV be when the Lightning starts under $40k already. Aside from the Chevy Bolt and Nissan Leaf, $40k is pretty much the floor on EV pricing right now.

I doubt this generation of Maverick gets a full EV, but surely the next generation will.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m guessing the AWD hybrid and PHEV will be the same car as I doubt they could make the current hybrid system AWD (not enough power or provisions to drive rear wheels). Having a larger battery (thus PHEV) will allow them to have an entirely electric rear axle (upping the system power in the process). The Lincoln Corsair PHEV has this system and makes around 270hp total if I am not mistaken. Maybe MY23 but I’m guessing more likely MY24 considering both the Escape and Corsair PHEVs have yet to launch.
I mean Hybrid AWD and PHEV don’t have to be significantly different from the current car. Just make it eAWD like the Rav4 which is my strong prediction of what’s going to happen (I have another post where we discuss this). FWIW this seems to be the trend in the industry but even at Ford itself with the MachE. I’m sure they left some space under the bed for this scenario (eAWD). They 100% left a lot of space under the floor for a PHEV battery cell.

I’m hopeful/confident Ford did at least *some* future proofing and I’d be surprised if they didn’t.

Sponsored

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mean Hybrid AWD and PHEV don’t have to be significantly different from the current car. Just make it eAWD like the Rav4 which is my strong prediction of what’s going to happen (I have another post where we discuss this). FWIW this seems to be the trend in the industry but even at Ford itself with the MachE. I’m sure they left some space under the bed for this scenario (eAWD). They 100% left a lot of space under the floor for a PHEV battery cell.

I’m hopeful/confident Ford did at least *some* future proofing and I’d be surprised if they didn’t.
My guess is BEV will not happen with the current platform due to the obvious issues with adapting an ICE platform to BEV. A PHEV with an all electric rear axle (Lincoln corsair PHEV) will likely be next year or the year after. BEV will come when Ford debuts a new electric platform for the escape and Bronco Sport (my guess is 2025 timeframe).

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My guess is BEV will not happen with the current platform due to the obvious issues with adapting an ICE platform to BEV. A PHEV with an all electric rear axle (Lincoln corsair PHEV) will likely be next year or the year after. BEV will come when Ford debuts a new electric platform for the escape and Bronco Sport (my guess is 2025 timeframe).
I agree BEV will not happen on this platform which is already due for a refresh in a couple years. Nobody knows how the current Maverick will sell, and what the sales demographics will be. I'm guessing Ford has a couple alternative roadmaps depending on Maverick acceptance and sales figures for at least full year of retail. Ford had projected 100k+ sales per year, so there will be some wait and see on their part. I think some order figures out there said most hybrid orders are coming from CA and the East & West coast in general?

I don't see Maverick ever having an interim PHEV because the charging infrastructure is just not there and can't possibly be in timeframe for a refresh on this platform. Even if the $ appears for charging infrastructure it will take years or decades to match gas station levels for convenience. Look at Ford's current strategy with Mach E (no hybrid (yet)or PHEV Mustangs before BEV) and F-150 which offers a hybrid option along with ICE and going straight to Lightning BEV for future. Maverick offers Hybrid option along with ICE right now just like F-150 and I could see Ford following F-150 model if sales reach and hold projected numbers- who knows if they will kill off ICE options unless forced to.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Lightning gets real expensive real fast. How much cheaper could a Maverick EV be when the Lightning starts under $40k already. Aside from the Chevy Bolt and Nissan Leaf, $40k is pretty much the floor on EV pricing right now.

I doubt this generation of Maverick gets a full EV, but surely the next generation will.
Look at the Escape, they have a Plug-In, I'm betting that is the next version of the maverick to be released, and that will be less expensive than the Escape. IF they can get 30-35 miles on pure electric would rock my world. After the Plug-in, would be a full EV, I'm betting it will be a sub 40K, even sub 35K. XLT, Full EV with a range of 250 miles for 35K, sign me up.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You are forgetting that the Escape has a PHEV version, I'm predicting that a PHEV is the next version of the Maverick at its mid-life cycle. So for us who got the Maverick now, and who are leasing, when our 3 yr lease is up the PHEV version will be out. The architecture is there for it, would be an easy fit, and they could even have a larger battery too. For me, if the PHEV Maverick had a full 35 minute full EV range would be perfect (work is 23 miles one way and we have charging stations too)

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I agree BEV will not happen on this platform which is already due for a refresh in a couple years. Nobody knows how the current Maverick will sell, and what the sales demographics will be. I'm guessing Ford has a couple alternative roadmaps depending on Maverick acceptance and sales figures for at least full year of retail. Ford had projected 100k+ sales per year, so there will be some wait and see on their part. I think some order figures out there said most hybrid orders are coming from CA and the East & West coast in general?

I don't see Maverick ever having an interim PHEV because the charging infrastructure is just not there and can't possibly be in timeframe for a refresh on this platform. Even if the $ appears for charging infrastructure it will take years or decades to match gas station levels for convenience. Look at Ford's current strategy with Mach E (no hybrid (yet)or PHEV Mustangs before BEV) and F-150 which offers a hybrid option along with ICE and going straight to Lightning BEV for future. Maverick offers Hybrid option along with ICE right now just like F-150 and I could see Ford following F-150 model if sales reach and hold projected numbers- who knows if they will kill off ICE options unless forced to.

Why do you say Ford doesn't know its sales Demographics? Have you looked at the Marketing photos? They were looking for the young active crowd, Honda did this with the Element, however, another demographic that came along was the active older (boomers). Ford knows what they are doing with this truck. Look at the age demographic of this forum, it's a good sample to go by.

In regards to sales, Ford has over 100K orders for the truck already, and the Hybrid is outselling the EB. The data is there and I'm very sure Ford has plans for a PHEV (they have an escape) and a full EV version too.

I'm betting in 3 years you will see a PHEV of the maverick. There is a market for it.
Sponsored