First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never heard of prepayment penalties on loans from a real franchise car dealership.

It sounds like you could have still got your Maverick, but you chose to walk on principles which is fine.. The dealer was slimy but there were ways around it.
In many states a prepayment penalty is illegal
Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have two sale documents, one I believe is a DORA the other is the dealers contract of sale that includes MSRP fax and fees.
I know you have moved on from this, but I'm trying to learn more about this and I have a question.

I'm surprised to hear that the dealer pulled this when you had a motor vehicle purchase agreement signed by yourself and by the dealership manager. I think that's pretty unusual.

Can you tell me if that is actually the case?

I ask because most purchase agreements have language like "not binding until signed by the dealer's authorized representative" and often the copy the buyer has isn't actually signed.

Thanks.

Big Blue

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I was concerned when I read the story from ce2nite. But I had already ordered from Frankfort Ford and the order books were closed.
Here's my story in hopes that Ford looks at these messages and takes some action with this dishonest (close to criminal) dealership.
The truck arrived at the dealership 4/12/22. I scheduled to visit the morning of 4/13/22 to finalize the transaction. Someone took my trade-in for a test drive and I sat with the salesman at his desk. He started showing me rather high interest rates to soften me up. I explained I was only interested in the Ford incentive rates and would pay cash if they were not available. On the day I ordered the truck I had told the salesman I would probably pay cash but if Ford had free money (0%36) I would probably go with that. After an hour or so of the typical salesman leaves to talk to the manager stuff, the finance manager arrives with the final offer.
He will only sell me the truck if I agree to finance with his third party at a very high rate. I insisted that I had a valid contract and was prepared to write a check for the balance due. The real final offer was to take my cash if I paid $5,000.00 over the contract price. The finance manager told me in effect that the value of the truck was much higher than the contract price and his business was slow and he needed to make more money. The contract price was MSRP plus $689.00 Doc Fee.
I'm a retired senior (it hurts to say that) and been involved in many high value transactions in the past. This dealer is by far and away the most unscrupulous I have ever encountered.
To add to the insult, while waiting for my deposit refund I could hear one of the salespeople on the phone offering my Maverick for sale. I finally had to find my salesman outside to get him to get my refund and keys as all the managers had left the sales floor.
For anyone interested look out for VIN 3FTTWF99NRA53108
Was this Frankfort Kentucky

Mike S

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Ecosport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why do you guys keep walking away from this? Have you not heard of refinancing?

Just sign the papers and take your truck. The dealership will see dollar signs - then you refinance it IMMEDIATELY upon receiving an account number. This will reverse any kickbacks to the dealer and there is nothing they can do about it. You will have your truck and they won't have made the money they were trying to con you out of. I've had this trick pulled on me more than one time before, and I have told them as I signed the papers that I would never make the first payment on this agreement. They've never cared, I guess they either assume that I'm bluffing (I wasn't) or they just want it to look a certain way on paper.
Better yet, sue the dealer for not honoring the contract in small claims court.

Pmason

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Patty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was concerned when I read the story from ce2nite. But I had already ordered from Frankfort Ford and the order books were closed.
Here's my story in hopes that Ford looks at these messages and takes some action with this dishonest (close to criminal) dealership.
The truck arrived at the dealership 4/12/22. I scheduled to visit the morning of 4/13/22 to finalize the transaction. Someone took my trade-in for a test drive and I sat with the salesman at his desk. He started showing me rather high interest rates to soften me up. I explained I was only interested in the Ford incentive rates and would pay cash if they were not available. On the day I ordered the truck I had told the salesman I would probably pay cash but if Ford had free money (0%36) I would probably go with that. After an hour or so of the typical salesman leaves to talk to the manager stuff, the finance manager arrives with the final offer.
He will only sell me the truck if I agree to finance with his third party at a very high rate. I insisted that I had a valid contract and was prepared to write a check for the balance due. The real final offer was to take my cash if I paid $5,000.00 over the contract price. The finance manager told me in effect that the value of the truck was much higher than the contract price and his business was slow and he needed to make more money. The contract price was MSRP plus $689.00 Doc Fee.
I'm a retired senior (it hurts to say that) and been involved in many high value transactions in the past. This dealer is by far and away the most unscrupulous I have ever encountered.
To add to the insult, while waiting for my deposit refund I could hear one of the salespeople on the phone offering my Maverick for sale. I finally had to find my salesman outside to get him to get my refund and keys as all the managers had left the sales floor.
For anyone interested look out for VIN 3FTTWF99NRA53108

Sponsored

Mike S

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Ecosport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tried to be brief as possible with my original post and cover the deceitful tactics of this dealer . I have two sale documents, one I believe is a DORA the other is the dealers contract of sale that includes MSRP fax and fees. I got regular emails from Ford with status updates. Production for my Lariat AWD was scheduled quickly and arrived two days before the early estimate. Thankyou Ford, sorry to all of you who have not had such good service.
As far as the third party loan, I was never allowed to view the contract. The salesman made a vague comment that there was some form of penalty or fee. Without knowing what it might cost to get out of the loan I had to pass. Not that having this dealer have his commission clawed back causes me much trouble.
Just before I sat to write this update I checked my phone and had a message from a different sales man at the same dealer to let me know that a Maverick had arrived , described my Maverick and let me know they were offering it for around $40K.
I spent what time I had yesterday calling Ford and creating a detailed BBB complaint.
Sue for the difference in your contract price vs the street price in small claims court. You won't get your truck, but you'll make some $s.

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was given a bit of grief because I wanted to pay cash so I financed. I made 2 payments in 2 weeks and as of last Friday when I looked I owe$.81 Will pay it off when I think of it

xncrman

I am sure that the Lariat Maverick I ordered in 2021 I won't see till 2023 someday, but I have read and studying these dealership tactics along with Ford Consumer hot line on speed dial and Ford Price Protection Policies ( smartvincent ) which gives me rights to the incentives including financing at time of my order. And if that fails I will finance and refinance. I only know the new tactics by reading a lot of forum threads and watching Tim's The Ford Guy at Long McArthur Ford Youtube videos and weekly updates. A MUST WATCH BEFORE YOUR PURCHASE. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIVo9aLf7tOO5K6pNWB9W0A

Cad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has the OP made any attempt to contact the State AG, sit in front of the dealer with a sign or write to Ford. If not how about we just close this thread down. Looks like he has more than enough advice and no more updates on what he’s doing.

Mavfreak

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Why is everyone ignoring the glaring issue with this guys story? The dealer. They are the issue. Since when did we get to a point where it’s ok for a dealer to pull a bunch of crap on a new vehicle order and we blame the poor guy that thought he was ordering a truck at msrp and made the choice not to get taken advantage of by a slimy car salesman. Awful. Good on the op for walking away, hopefully someone here can pass along the names of some other dealers local to you that don’t treat their customers like garbage in case you decide to order another one.
Agreed! Honor the damned price when the initial order and/or deposit was made. Dealers don’t give 2 shits about my financial situation. Why do I want to extend a courtesy that sure as hell won’t be reciprocated!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.