First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the photo, Dan. Visibility is another strong suit of the Outback. Seems like Maverick will also have good visibility. I like the wide expanse of windshield compared to the Subie. Hope the highway MPG beats the Outback (it shines with cruise control on the highway but is lousy in the city, even with start-stop). Plan on taking the Maverick next summer to visit the last three states I’ve yet to see — Wyoming and the Dakotas. Cheers!
I currently have a 17 Escape & the visibility is not good. My 10 Forester was great & I'm happy to say my test drive in a Maverick was excellent visibility. Another bonus for the Maverick.
Sponsored

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got back from the dealer. Bumped my head trying to get in. Damn...
20211013_094210.jpg

Guess I'll be sticking with my Forester.
Lower the seat, I'm 6'5" & didn't bump my head. You'll bang your head against the wall when your Forester starts needing replacement parts. Look up ac dryer. $800 fuel pump $2300 & if you get the bonus blown head gaskets you'll really jump for joy.

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Outback also has AWD as I'm sure you know. An AWD Maverick is apparently rated for 22/29/25. But if AWD is not a benefit for you, the FWD hybrid will definitely save you some change at the pump!

As a person who was considering a 5th-gen Ford Explorer to replace a pickup truck, I say it depends on an individual's specific needs.

The big issue for me is that an SUV isn't a perfect box. The vehicle cabin tapers inward and downward toward the rear of the vehicle. Most SUVs also don't have perfectly flat load floors.

This presents an issue when loading square items like crates, tool boxes, or literal cardboard boxes due to both wasted space and package alignment and stability.

A pickup truck's bed tub maintains the same width from front to back, less of course the wheel arches.

Secondary issues include interior damage and cargo containment. SUVs have fully-finished interiors, which will show signs of wear and damage by repeatedly un/loading cargo, especially items that are bulky, heavy, dirty, wet, and/or oversize. Pickup beds, being painted metal boxes, are less prone to damage, especially when items like bed liners or bed mats are used.

Pickups have a multitude of cargo securement and containment options. And universal options are possible by simply screwing L-track or E-track to the bed floor, bed rails, or anywhere desired. SUVs are limited to the factory fixed-point tie down hooks, or improvising by hooking to whatever is available...seat rails, headrest posts, LATCH anchors, etc.

Very light-duty tie downs can be screwed into an SUV's plastic interior panels, but the panels themselves are typically held on to the vehicle structure with plastic "Christmas tree" body plugs that aren't designed to be load-bearing.
Ding ding ding. My thoughts exactly. I can fit a ton of stuff in my hatchback, but the open air of a truck bed is so incredibly useful with a set of ratchet straps. So much easier for hauling a couch or chair or desk.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually have a Hybrid on order, it was $0 down, and no absolute obligation to actually buy it, once it shows up. The 42mpg is very appealing, plus that open bed.

Since ordering, I was able to see one up close, at another dealer. Was driving by and saw the bugger sitting out front, and pulled in. Salesman saw me looking it over and remote started, and unlocked allowing me to climb on in. The unclaimed unit (XLT Turbo not hybrid) also had the sun-roof, and there was plenty of head room, and entry/exit was easier than my Outback, which has around a 1.5" lift on it. Front leg room however was surprisingly lacking, or let me clarify, the pedal distance is short or less than ideal for my rather large 6'2"+ frame. Perhaps without the sunroof, raising the seat *should* increase that distance, since the knee to pedal is the hypotenuse of the triangle (height of seat, distance of seat to pedal, making the leg the longest/hypotenuse). Thankfully I ordered a Lariat, as the XLT cloth is a bit 'scratchy' feeling, with no other way to explain it.

I'll give the hybrid a shot once it shows up, since I ordered one without the sunroof, and a Lariat not XLT which does have somewhat different seats than the XL/XLT. Otherwise, its actually a pretty nice vehicle, with lots of room (sans the pedal/leg issue...I didn't like the brake pedal being at the arch of my foot either). The Mav will need to win me over, since I really like my Outback, even with the lack of all the newer electronics.

Sponsored

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The 40' number is official from Ford. See https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/maverick/pdf/2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications.pdf

There is a difference between turning radius and turning circle (isn't radius half of the circle?). I usually prefer the latter measurement since it is more real life for me.
So you drive yourself in circles often? Well both the Subaru and Maverick are FWD biased even in AWD configuration so making donuts isn't all that fun in either.... ;p

EJRSSF

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid CP360 and Hitch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thank you for this! I've got a 2021 Outback Onyx Edition, and I've been driving myself crazy comparing dimensions between the two. I love my Subie, but the 23 mpg (+/-) I get is a huge reason why I ordered the Maverick.
I rarely get less than 30 MPG in our 2015 Outback 2.5 on the flat traffic filled roads of S. Florida.

EJRSSF

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid CP360 and Hitch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Is that the "official" Maverick turning circle @ 40.x? The Bronco Sport turning radius is 18.7, so I assumed the Maverick would be identical...
Radius 18.7 x 2 = 37.4 Diameter
40 diameter Ă· 2 = 20 Radius