MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If that’s true, wo looking it up, what rate do you pay for FICA?

I was expatriated to Great Britain for 2 years. The VAT is definitely NOT consistent! GB has consistently had a lower VAT than many of the other countries.
"In most European countries" meaning "Within most European countries." So if I live in GB, the tax I pay when buying something isn't going to be different if I do it in Corwall or Orkney. Where I live now in Southern Nevada, I pay different sales tax here vs. CA vs. AZ vs. UT, all of which I can drive to for an afternoon. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

My FICA contribution rate? Zero. In my current position I neither pay into or gain FICA credit. I'm not sure that's relevant to retail purchase pricing though, unless you're proposing we transfer all taxes to consumption taxes, which would be a much larger shakeup.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
I’m 70 now and I’m very glad that I paid social security as well as my wife. The VA was also very good to me as well as 2 pensions puts us at $96000.00 per year tax free plus Medicare ...
not bragging just lucky !
Regards
Doc

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
"In most European countries" meaning "Within most European countries." So if I live in GB, the tax I pay when buying something isn't going to be different if I do it in Corwall or Orkney. Where I live now in Southern Nevada, I pay different sales tax here vs. CA vs. AZ vs. UT, all of which I can drive to for an afternoon. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

My FICA contribution rate? Zero. In my current position I neither pay into or gain FICA credit. I'm not sure that's relevant to retail purchase pricing though, unless you're proposing we transfer all taxes to consumption taxes, which would be a much larger shakeup.
The FICA example is that the govt. Is able to “hide” the tax rate by having it taken out by your employers, hence why most ppl don’t even know what the rate is.

Same is true of VAT since it’s included in the price. Unless you travel,(and even if you do) many don’t know how much govt. Is fleecing them.. Same is true of FICA. BTW, if you live in Republic of Ireland, very easy to go to Northern Ireland, same as we do between states.

That’s why I WANT to know how much the politicians are fleecing me when I make a purchase to which govt.adds no value.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
The FICA example is that the govt. Is able to “hide” the tax rate by having it taken out by your employers, hence why most ppl don’t even know what the rate is.

Same is true of VAT since it’s included in the price. Unless you travel,(and even if you do) many don’t know how much govt. Is fleecing them.. Same is true of FICA. BTW, if you live in Republic of Ireland, very easy to go to Northern Ireland, same as we do between states.

That’s why I WANT to know how much the politicians are fleecing me when I make a purchase to which govt.adds no value.
My Grandparents from both sides came from Ireland (County Cork)..
Regards
Doc

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I'm calling it right now: The Maverick's sub-$20,000 starting price will only be like $19,000, and even then it will only be for a low-feature base model with FWD. There's probably not going to be any other trim that dips under 20 K. I doubt that AWD will reach under this price either. Prove me wrong, Ford.

-SG

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I'm calling it right now: The Maverick's sub-$20,000 starting price will only be like $19,000, and even then it will only be for a low-feature base model with FWD. There's probably not going to be any other trim that dips under 20 K. I doubt that AWD will reach under this price either. Prove me wrong, Ford.

-SG
What else do you expect? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

-SG
That's not really much of a prediction. Heck, a Honda Civic starts at $21K so what are you expecting in a brand new pickup truck for under $20K? Of course it will be a bare essentials model, how could it not be? Your prediction is equivalent to me predicting that the new Ford Maverick will be available in more than one exterior color.

Last edited:

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
That's not really much of a prediction. Heck, a Honda Civic starts at $21K so what are you expecting in a brand new pickup truck for under $20K? Of course it will be a bare essentials model, how could it not be? Your prediction is equivalent to me predicting that the new Ford Maverick will be available in more than one exterior color.
He’s expecting an off-road, AWD version with alloy wheels, heated leather seats and a Bose sound system for under $20K... aren’t you? 😁

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
He’s expecting an off-road, AWD version with alloy wheels, heated leather seats and a Bose sound system for under $20K... aren’t you? 😁
No way!!!... for that money you get the steelies, the alloys are extra haha

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure and for under 20K maybe Ford will even throw in free maintenance for life :D

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I understand that there probably won't be a well-equipped Maverick below $20 K, and a model with the features I would probably want to have would likely stretch somewhere in the high-$25,000 range. I simply said that because folks should be prepared to not get many features for the money if their budget is really that small...

-SG

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand that there probably won't be a well-equipped Maverick below $20k, and a model with the features I would probably want to have would likely stretch somewhere in the high-$25,000 range. I simply said that because folks should be prepared to not get many features for the money if their budget is really that small...

-SG
Ive said it since the $20k base price was floated online Id be utterly shocked if they could make one that cheap. Like, ANY Maverick, in any form, being that cheap. An Ecosport starts at $19,995(before delivery) for instance and thats a 1.0 liter front wheel drive lifted Fiesta basically. How a Maverick could match this is just at a level I cant understand if its being built off the Escape platform.

I can only see them hitting this price with a manual transmission(which saves about $1000-$1500 msrp on most cars when compared between transmission choices), 1.5L 3 cylinder, front wheel drive, black unpainted colored bumpers/mirrors, zero driver aides, cloth seats/vinyl floor, some cheap 16" steel wheels, and hell maybe try to shove crank windows and no power locks into it. Like, look at a base model Frontier back from 2019 or earlier. You got (for $19,995) an anemic 4 cylinder, 5 speed, with zero options. No power options, no sliding rear window, gray bumpers, steel wheels, cloth seats and thats it. For years this was by far the cheapest (and only way) to get a truck under $20k.

Now dont get me wrong, if they produced whats essentially a fleet model just like i described up there for the $19,995 price point I am 100% in. I want zero fancy things in mine (minus the 2.0 engine if possible wihtout gaining any useless junk).

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I understand that there probably won't be a well-equipped Maverick below $20 K, and a model with the features I would probably want to have would likely stretch somewhere in the high-$25,000 range. I simply said that because folks should be prepared to not get many features for the money if their budget is really that small...

-SG
My point was that I can't imagine everyone doesn't already know that. That's the way it's always been with pickup trucks in general. For example the Chevy Colorado starts around $25K for 2WD and adding 4WD jumps the price to about $29K.
No one is expecting anything but a bare bones model for under $20K and to be honest I'll actually be surprised if the base model does come in under $20K. That's some very aggressive pricing.
Sponsored

Last edited: