Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Agreed. It used to be you could buy a rather stripped model of a pickup if all you wanted it for was a simple delivery or farm truck. That's how they would keep this under $20K... Make it like the original Rangers. It's easy to drive the price up with add-ons, especially if they are factory add-ons that are WAY overpriced anyway. If Ford wants to create a new niche in the truck market they need to think like Volkswagen did back in the days of the early Beetle.... Low price, low markup, but high volume. If the Maverick comes out in the $25-30K range it will be just another option of many.
I kind of disagree. There are actually no options currently for small pickups as the ones that used to be small got stretched to midsize.

Ford must’ve done some extensive marketing research on this to spend the money on new vehicle development, as financially they’re not in the greatest shape.

I’m thinking the active youth market, young families... and potentially a fleet edition that doesn’t compete with the consumer edition
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I kind of disagree. There are actually no options currently for small pickups as the ones that used to be small got stretched to midsize.

Ford must’ve done some extensive marketing research on this to spend the money on new vehicle development, as financially they’re not in the greatest shape.

I’m thinking the active youth market, young families... and potentially a fleet edition that doesn’t compete with the consumer edition
I’m not sure if it was as much active research as one would imagine, rather, more like they aren’t selling sedans anymore and needed some products to keep Ford buyers in the brand. They have host of information and feedback from existing midsize and fullsize consumers. Ford does pickup trucks well, and if they can produce a compact (ish) product and market it correctly, they will do well.

Active and youth markets, I agree. If this product comes to fruition, the way I imagine, it could be my first Ford product.

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
Funny how the original Mavrick had an MSRP of $1,995 and now the new Maverick 50 years later will start at $19.995. How imes have changed.
And $1995 in 1970 dollars equates to $13,450 in 2021 dollars, so there's more to it than just inflation. I watched a video recently about why cars have gotten so expensive. We always think it's because of safety regulations, but according to that video it's mostly because people demand so many features on their cars now. Ford used to be able to build cars to get you from Point A to Point B, but now everybody wants a rolling apartment.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
And $1995 in 1970 dollars equates to $13,450 in 2021 dollars, so there's more to it than just inflation. I watched a video recently about why cars have gotten so expensive. We always think it's because of safety regulations, but according to that video it's mostly because people demand so many features on their cars now. Ford used to be able to build cars to get you from Point A to Point B, but now everybody wants a rolling apartment.
It’s actually a combination of the two.. due to all the safety requirements, the front end on a completely new body-type is tens of millions to develop. Hence why the automakers have gone to such widespread platform sharing vs. developing a new model from scratch. It also helped drive the Ford-VW platform sharing agreement.

it used to be that very few cars had “crumple zones”, and collapsing front ends. The engineering and testing that goes into developing these things is enormous.

Also, lawsuits have driven this as well.Greedy lawyers and their clients sue the automakers for what they should have “foreseen” and therefore designed into the vehicle.

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ford Authority again reporting that the Maverick is still targeting a sub 20k starting price. I suspect that won't include the unremovable destination fee, as that's how Ford seems to advertise prices, so I think it's a bit disingenuous, but it's still a good sign that they're trying to keep the Maverick as a budget vehicle.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/2022-ford-maverick-to-start-at-under-20k-exclusive/
None of the manufacturers incl. the destination charge when quoting price, so I’m not sure how that’s Ford being “disingenuous” vs. simply following industry practice.. 🤔

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
I can already feel being stuck between choosing the 2.0 liter fwd or 1.5 Awd at my 32k CAD budget :/ but if I can get an off-road trim oriented trim on either or, that might help sway my decision, I'm in it for the looks, a bit of performance, and practicality third (with decent rear seats)

Last edited:

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Ford Authority again reporting that the Maverick is still targeting a sub 20k starting price. I suspect that won't include the unremovable destination fee, as that's how Ford seems to advertise prices, so I think it's a bit disingenuous, but it's still a good sign that they're trying to keep the Maverick as a budget vehicle.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/2022-ford-maverick-to-start-at-under-20k-exclusive/
Very Excited about this and assures me to hold off on purchasing anything until they release details.

Im hoping the second trim level, whatever they call it, is similar to the SE trim level on the Escape for around 2-3k extra. I think even with destination/dealer that puts me at 25k or less OTD.

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
None of the manufacturers incl. the destination charge when quoting price, so I’m not sure how that’s Ford being “disingenuous” vs. simply following industry practice.. 🤔
Yeah, the industry as a whole is disingenuous for making the destination fees an add-on--it's not just Ford. Imagine if we went to Target and they charged an additional destination fee for every product during checkout. It wouldn't be tolerated. Somehow car companies/dealerships get away with it.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Yeah, the industry as a whole is disingenuous for making the destination fees an add-on--it's not just Ford. Imagine if we went to Target and they charged an additional destination fee for every product during checkout. It wouldn't be tolerated. Somehow car companies/dealerships get away with it.
Actually, Target does charge for delivery. Just try ordering through their website... as do all the other retailers (unless you join their “clubs” like Prime or W+, or use their store credit card)

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
If we're going down that route I want to add how much it bugs me that tax isn't included in prices at stores, I'm gonna have to pay it anyways no matter which store, why not just include it on the shelf instead of making me do the math?

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tax makes a bit more sense to me on nationally advertised prices as it varies by location in the US. I'd prefer tax inclusive prices in stores though.

Destination bothers me as you can't get it without the fee. In the Target example, you can go into the store and buy it at the price advertised. The destination fee is unavoidable. To me, that means it's part of the price that is disengenuously excluded in order to be able to lure people in by advertising a lower price. Ford isn't alone on this, but I'm still going to complain when they set price points to maximize optics (Starting under 20k!) if there is no way to actually buy a vehicle for that amount.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
If we're going down that route I want to add how much it bugs me that tax isn't included in prices at stores, I'm gonna have to pay it anyways no matter which store, why not just include it on the shelf instead of making me do the math?
Europeans always ask that question. For me, the reason I like it broken out is to know exactly how much of my money is going to the govt.

Otherwise, ppl don’t realize how much the politicians are fleecing them for...

Social Security and Medicare are a perfect example. Directly deducted from your paycheck, so most ppl never realize how much they’re paying in every month. If they did, there’d be more outrage over it.

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Europeans always ask that question. For me, the reason I like it broken out is to know exactly how much of my money is going to the govt.

Otherwise, ppl don’t realize how much the politicians are fleecing them for...

Social Security and Medicare are a perfect example. Directly deducted from your paycheck, so most ppl never realize how much they’re paying in every month. If they did, there’d be more outrage over it.
In most European countries the tax is consistent, so it's pretty easy to know how much you're giving the government. Heck I know more EU Value Added Tax rates than I do US state rates as they're just more consistent. I don't think people are unaware of the tax rates. It's just easier if they're included in the price day to day (though as everyone uses credit cards it seems to matter less).

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
In most European countries the tax is consistent, so it's pretty easy to know how much you're giving the government. Heck I know more EU Value Added Tax rates than I do US state rates as they're just more consistent. I don't think people are unaware of the tax rates. It's just easier if they're included in the price day to day (though as everyone uses credit cards it seems to matter less).
If that’s true, wo looking it up, what rate do you pay for FICA?

I was expatriated to Great Britain for 2 years. The VAT is definitely NOT consistent! GB has consistently had a lower VAT than many of the other countries.
Sponsored