First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Question: if you buy extended warranty when I buy the truck does that start right then? If so, I'm carrying warranty I don't need until factory warning expires, right? I but a 5 year, 100,000 mile ext. Warranty on my escape and factory one expired in less than 2 years (because of high mileage ). Do I now have 5 year warranty or only 3 years?
According the the extended service plan (ESP) websites (all of them) the extended warranty starts on the date your original warranty starts. You are paying for an additional 2 years and 64k miles of coverage in your example. If you expect to put 20k miles per year on the truck then a 5 yr/100k miles warranty is what you want. If you really only average 9k miles a year then an 8 yr/75k miles warranty would work. Look for the balance between miles and years based on how much driving you expect to do.

Also, they all offer additional coverage. You should look at spending the extra $70 or so for bulb coverage. Those LED headlights are not owner-serviceable. If the whole headlamp assembly needs to be replaced when one goes bad then you've made back your $70! You will see other coverage options for the plan.

Extended maintenance plans are also available. You get allocated a number of visits to the dealership for routine maintenance at no cost to you based on the service interval (5k, 7.5k or 10k miles) that you choose. This is not warranty visits but for oil changes, 30k, 60k and 100k mile servicing, etc. Nice thing about these is that you won't pay more as the prices increase because you "bought in" early.

I've bought an extended warranty once - and never had to use it. I am thinking about doing this again for the Maverick if I can afford it before my upcoming retirement shortens my income. I've got Flood Ford quotes in the total amount of $3,185 for a 8yr/100k mile ESP and a Maintenance plan for 100k miles with service interval of 7,500 miles - 13 free maintenance visits to a Ford dealership. These plans will cover my expected 8 years / 100k miles (avg 12,500 miles per year) usage. I'll have to see where I am financially when the truck comes in!

Good luck with your choice!
Sponsored

alh01

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Fiesta ST
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 17 Fiesta ST. I bought the premiumcare warranty from a dealer online as the dealer I bought the car from refused to come close to the price that the ford dealer online was offering. The car has had a few warranty issues, motor mounts, blow off valve, charge pipe, and recently some sort of electrical sensor. Because I have the extended warranty with rental coverage, I get a car anytime it sits overnight. Two weeks ago I had it in the shop for the first out of standard coverage warranty repair, the sensor. I had also damaged an axle, and had them do a ton of other preventative maintenance. The car was in the shop for a week waiting for the sensor while everything got done. They gave me a rental the whole time.

I had an ESP on my previous Scion, which covered a catalytic converter. '

I will be buying the warranty on the Maverick, and from an online ford dealer it is about 1565 (7/100k) including the first day rental, and bulb coverage (LED fixture headlights).

Blessedintx

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
According the the extended service plan (ESP) websites (all of them) the extended warranty starts on the date your original warranty starts. You are paying for an additional 2 years and 64k miles of coverage in your example. If you expect to put 20k miles per year on the truck then a 5 yr/100k miles warranty is what you want. If you really only average 9k miles a year then an 8 yr/75k miles warranty would work. Look for the balance between miles and years based on how much driving you expect to do.

Also, they all offer additional coverage. You should look at spending the extra $70 or so for bulb coverage. Those LED headlights are not owner-serviceable. If the whole headlamp assembly needs to be replaced when one goes bad then you've made back your $70! You will see other coverage options for the plan.

Extended maintenance plans are also available. You get allocated a number of visits to the dealership for routine maintenance at no cost to you based on the service interval (5k, 7.5k or 10k miles) that you choose. This is not warranty visits but for oil changes, 30k, 60k and 100k mile servicing, etc. Nice thing about these is that you won't pay more as the prices increase because you "bought in" early.

I've bought an extended warranty once - and never had to use it. I am thinking about doing this again for the Maverick if I can afford it before my upcoming retirement shortens my income. I've got Flood Ford quotes in the total amount of $3,185 for a 8yr/100k mile ESP and a Maintenance plan for 100k miles with service interval of 7,500 miles - 13 free maintenance visits to a Ford dealership. These plans will cover my expected 8 years / 100k miles (avg 12,500 miles per year) usage. I'll have to see where I am financially when the truck comes in!

Good luck with your choice!
Good luck with your Mav! Thanks for laying it out. I'm a higher mileage girl so I'll look at my choices. I will be getting the maintenance plan too! Tire and wheel as well

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I would be better off to wait until the factory one is about to expire right?
No. It's still a 5 year old truck. Unless they put in writing that it's five years from then.

Sponsored

Blessedintx

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
No. It's still a 5 year old truck. Unless they put in writing that it's five years from then.
So I am getting confused. Why would I pay for a 5 year extended warranty that runs concurrent with my factory warranty. Once the factory one expires I only have 2 left, but I've paid for 5.
So I shouldn't pay for one until towards the end of the original.

Go get it

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Caravan GT
Best thing to get is the Maintenance plan from ford you can get it for up to 8 years paid at todays prices not what it will cost then. How long do you intend to keep the unit most people now days trade up within 3 years when the first warranty runs out anyway.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I am getting confused. Why would I pay for a 5 year extended warranty that runs concurrent with my factory warranty. Once the factory one expires I only have 2 left, but I've paid for 5.
You're paying to extend the factory warranty to whatever level you purchase. You're not purchasing that many total years/miles.

Also, there is some coverage that starts right away, such as RentalCARE, that would give you a rental any time the vehicle is in during the factory warranty period, too.

JoeEd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I read it correctly on Flood’s site, it looks like the plan would cost you more if you wait until just before the 36 month to buy the same plan.

Veer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
veer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What happens if you total the before the extended warranty starts, do you get money back or you loose it. Or if you decide to sell or trade, does it transfer to next owner?

Sponsored

mla_anderson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus SE Coupe, 22 F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is my first Ford. I am a Mazda man since '92 because of reliability. I thinking of getting an extended warranty because it is a Ford.
In many ways, you just bought the next evolution of your Mazda. They both descend from the same platform. Ford and Mazda have had this relationship since at least 1981.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I purchased my truck several weeks ago. This extended warranty program was offered to me. Of course I turned it down.

Ford Protect ESP plan $132.08 month x 36 months. =. $4754.88
I knew I wasn’t going to buy it, but when I asked what is the best price they can give me, they said this is it.

if you look on the right column, if someone was to buy all there plans it would be $794.70 additional a month.

Ford Maverick Ford Extended Warranty??? D726C1B0-0AD8-4E19-9CB7-0EE33FCCF868

MikeYork5

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What happens if you total the before the extended warranty starts, do you get money back or you loose it. Or if you decide to sell or trade, does it transfer to next owner?
To clarify -

- All ESP plans start at the same time your basic 3/36 warranty starts - when you purchase the vehicle. If you want to cover the vehicle for lets say 8 total years (or 5 years beyond your basic 3/36 warranty period) , you would buy the 8 year plan. Figure out your annual mileage driven and buy accordingly. Yes it overlaps your basic warranty.

- As I mentioned earlier the advantages of having it from the time of original vehicle purchase if your vehicle is in for a warranty repair (not maintenance) and is kept over night, or longer, you can get a rental vehicle. Also, the price of the Ford ESP plans, like everything else increases at least annually. So you will pay less for the plan today than you will near the expiration of your 3/36 basic warranty. You can finance through the vehicle loan if you chose to do so. Also, there used to to be an additional $100 charge to whatever the price of the ESP Warranty Package that you purchased if it was not purchased in the first 12 months or 12,000 miles of ownership. I'm not sure if that penalty is still in effect. The plan must be purchased before the expiration of your 3/36 basic warranty.

-It is transferrable to the new owner and/or you can get a prorated refund on the unused portion of the plan if you choose to do so.

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To clarify -

- All ESP plans start at the same time your basic 3/36 warranty starts - when you purchase the vehicle. If you want to cover the vehicle for lets say 8 total years (or 5 years beyond your basic 3/36 warranty period) , you would buy the 8 year plan. Figure out your annual mileage driven and buy accordingly. Yes it overlaps your basic warranty.

- As I mentioned earlier the advantages of having it from the time of original vehicle purchase if your vehicle is in for a warranty repair (not maintenance) and is kept over night, or longer, you can get a rental vehicle. Also, the price of the Ford ESP plans, like everything else increases at least annually. So you will pay less for the plan today than you will near the expiration of your 3/36 basic warranty. You can finance through the vehicle loan if you chose to do so. Also, there used to to be an additional $100 charge to whatever the price of the ESP Warranty Package that you purchased if it was not purchased in the first 12 months or 12,000 miles of ownership. I'm not sure if that penalty is still in effect. The plan must be purchased before the expiration of your 3/36 basic warranty.

-It is transferrable to the new owner and/or you can get a prorated refund on the unused portion of the plan if you choose to do so.
My dealership has a free lifetime warranty on the power train and the Hybrid has an 8 year 110k miles on the battery....I wouldn't waste my time on the ESP

dgnx6

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought the ESP on my hybrid tonight. Talked her down to $1900 for the 6yr/100k. Price was like $2700 initially. Not sure if that was a great deal but it only added like $26 a month to my payment.
Holy shit, the finance guy was trying to get me 8 years 100k at 2000. That was the price alone without financing. I told him no I could get it cheaper online and he basically called me a liar and said no one was doing it cheaper than him. I can get the same one from flood for 1400 minus the $210 worth of points.
Sponsored