First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yep, that's pretty average size. As you sketched it, the 72" would put the contact patch of real wheel at the very end of the lowered tailgate. Maybe some clever rail contraption could solve that? At my age, a little trailer would be easier. Not sure if it's even legal to have that 14" hanging off the end driving on public roads though.
Sure it is legal. You just have to tie a red flag to it.
Sponsored

Dan00Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTI, 2019 Beetle, 2000 Firehawk TransAm
I'm only planning 1 bike in the bed with the tailgate down, but it's a Husqvarna Svartpilen 401. Wheel base is short at 53.4". Half the diameter of the front wheel/tire is 12.5". This gives me a distance from the leading edge of the front tire to the rear contact center point of 65.9". This leaves enough room to also have some type of front wheel chock setup in the bed as well for enhanced stability when transporting. I'm not sure how to secure a regular wheel chock in the bed yet. But maybe fabricating a DIY wooden support using the front flex bed slots would work so as not having to drill anything into the floor of the bed.

Anyway, it'll be nice to not have to get a rental trailer like I've been doing with my GTI... :)
Ford Maverick Fitting 2 dirtbikes in the bed 121590982_10224079755641949_7250945635163957652_o (3)
Ford Maverick Fitting 2 dirtbikes in the bed flex bed

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
As a (former) owner of a Harbor Freight trailer, if you have to get a trailer, I'd suggest getting a pre-built (IE, welded) trailer from a trailer dealer, unless you really need the folding feature.
I know someone with this exact trailer and they take it on several 1000 mile round trips a year. They haul tools and construction equipment as well as the as the odd piece of furniture or home appliance. They use it to service their rental homes a state over through mountain passes and bad weather. It seems plenty durable, but they are the type to treat their equipment well and do the maintenance required to keep it operational. They are fairly frugal, so I trust their opinion, and they like the trailer. To each their own.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyway, it'll be nice to not have to get a rental trailer like I've been doing with my GTI... :)
The local U-Haul location I use had a pretty new one of those stolen from their lot last year, I think I found it.

Hahaha, HRG

Dr.Steve

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dr. Steve Bruhle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Newest video recently posted measures total length of bed with tailgate down is ~79”. Anything with a wheel base under 60” should fit straight in, tailgate down, rear tire contact patch on tailgate. Just like a 5’ bed. Now I wonder if I can fit two.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Newest video recently posted measures total length of bed with tailgate down is ~79”. Anything with a wheel base under 60” should fit straight in, tailgate down, rear tire contact patch on tailgate. Just like a 5’ bed. Now I wonder if I can fit two.
It is definitely not 79 inches with the gate down. The gate is only 20” tall so take bed length and add 20. It is much closer to 72 inches than 79 inches. Technically it is
  • Bed Length: 54 inches with tailgate up | 72 inches with tailgate down

OP
OP
Terrenceyao

Terrenceyao

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus grey 2022 hybrid maverick XLT lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is definitely not 79 inches with the gate down. The gate is only 20” tall so take bed length and add 20. It is much closer to 72 inches than 79 inches. Technically it is
  • Bed Length: 54 inches with tailgate up | 72 inches with tailgate down
There’s usually a gap between the edge of the bed and the bottom of the tailgate. The bed isn’t like a folded piece of paper, the hinge will form a gap. The 79” seems believable, but I’d still measure myself to be sure. I’m going to mock up the bed with tape on the ground and park 2 dirt bikes in there and see how it looks.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There’s usually a gap between the edge of the bed and the bottom of the tailgate. The bed isn’t like a folded piece of paper, the hinge will form a gap. The 79” seems believable, but I’d still measure myself to be sure. I’m going to mock up the bed with tape on the ground and park 2 dirt bikes in there and see how it looks.
Photos please! My front edge of the front tire to contact patch center at the rear is 75" if the bike is straight along the centerline of the truck. Tim's measurement of 79" is very promising. Not knowing the gap I computed 74.7" but it is hard to believe the gap is 4". I think that black plastic cap on the top of the tailgate may be adding a couple of nonstructural inches.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Photos please! My front edge of the front tire to contact patch center at the rear is 75" if the bike is straight along the centerline of the truck. Tim's measurement of 79" is very promising. Not knowing the gap I computed 74.7" but it is hard to believe the gap is 4". I think that black plastic cap on the top of the tailgate may be adding a couple of nonstructural inches.
I still think my suggestion of an aluminum u channel will fit you guys bill perfectly but /shrug

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
It can be done. One bike faces forward and the other faces rearward. The wheel wells don’t matter as the engine case will sit above them. I use to put 3 bikes in my 1500; two facing forward and one between them facing the rear.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Terrenceyao

Terrenceyao

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still think my suggestion of an aluminum u channel will fit you guys bill perfectly but /shrug
I’m definitely gonna make some sort of rail system to help reduce the load on the tail. But at the same time make it foldable/easily removable so I can still use the bed as a truck bed when not hauling dirt bikes.

OP
OP
Terrenceyao

Terrenceyao

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It can be done. One bike faces forward and the other faces rearward. The wheel wells don’t matter as the engine case will sit above them. I use to put 3 bikes in my 1500; two facing forward and one between them facing the rear.
Wheel well spacing is important in this case cause the wheel wells reach all the way to the front of the bed. I’ll most likely load it so that the motorcycle tires are right up against the wells.

Ford Maverick Fitting 2 dirtbikes in the bed A4AA9322-BE8C-4115-A08C-CBFA0304BBD3

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m definitely gonna make some sort of rail system to help reduce the load on the tail. But at the same time make it foldable/easily removable so I can still use the bed as a truck bed when not hauling dirt bikes.
My suggestion was a pair of aluminum U channels mounted to a cross beam that would allow anchoring into the flex bed. Then you could use the d rings for additional anchors. Putting a slot to affix a 3rd piece of channel would allow for a clip on ramp. You could take the rails out when not in use, aluminum channel is strong enough to support your bikes and the sidewalks will keep them in the tracks loading/unloading and while in transit. It would also allow for the full distance you need to support both tyres, regardless of the length of the bed with the tailgate down.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I checked my old Ford Ranger today and the down tail gate adds roughly 3 inches to the length of the bed...the tail gate hinges outward....so Maverick tail gate is probably similar. I "haul" the below BMW-GS from Atlanta to Idaho and Montana just about every summer for off-road trails. Have 2 well made Harbor Freight trailers ($320) that I've used in the past but NOTHING TOUCHES the convince of a little Kendon Trailer (used $650)(full sized car tires, no ramp needed)(1, 2 or 3 bikes no problem)...ride it on and strap down the bike in 5 minutes....trailer weights 335 lbs but can easily haul a 1000 lb bike. Honda Element 4 banger has no problem pulling it, looking for a Maverick Hybrid to save gas and higher trailer weight pulling.

The problem I ran in to with the HF trailer or my Ranger was getting to a destination and find a low place to unload, then struggling with loading and unloading 350-400 lbs bike with ramps....with the Kendon you just ride it on and off the trailer. I will easily sell the Kendon for 3/4ths of what i paid for it when I retire from riding...do have 2 HF trailers for sale.

I'd never load a bike cockeyed (front wheel sideways) in a bed for the potential of having to hit the brakes hard, and bike's front wheel needs to be in a chock for stability, strapped up high. (my dirt bike WR250R, no problem). I'm pretty sure with the tail gate length will be at least 74, 75 inches....but my concern will be putting too much weight on the tail gate, and waiting to hit a big bump and breaking a tail gate cable and loosing my GS. Rigging an extension might help but when you are off the bike your dealing with 300-400 DEAD weight....most any bike will have the rear tire on the tail-gate.

Ford Maverick Fitting 2 dirtbikes in the bed IMG_0124

Last edited:

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice! I am looking for a fold up trailer too and I almost bought a G310GS to boot!

For me though I plan to flat tow the Maverick behind my motorhome so I want to get the bike in the back so I don't have to choose one or the other for a trip! With the trailer I can still choose but when I want both I will have that option.
Sponsored