First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you push the button again to turn the ignition off? My XL has a key and I turn the key to the off position.
yes, you turn it back off.
Sponsored

Stillman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you have a shot of the front of the Maverick? I'm planning on getting Roadmaster to install the base plate and curious what it looks like and what they had to remove.
I just got my Roadmaster base plate installed last week. I will put a picture out this weekend. Looks great! and yes they had to remove the very bottom lover.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Stupid question: does the odometer count all the miles towed???

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can't say on the Maverick but it hasn't on any other vehicle I have towed.

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Took the Maverick for it’s first tow behind the Motorhome. A quick 16 mile round trip to fill the RV with gas. Maverick was so easy to put in tow mode and it towed perfectly. This is the number one reason we purchased this vehicle and we are so happy to finally get a tow in. Can’t wait for the first actual camping trip.
IMG_7144.jpeg
IMG_7146.jpeg

IMG_7147.jpeg
According to Ford, if it is a hybrid you can flat tow, if not it will ruin the drive train.

Sponsored

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you have a legacy vehicle with manual transmission, the speedometer drive is at the output shaft of the transmission. Unless you disconnect the drive shaft from the differential it will count the miles. Automatic transmissions or newer vehicles with digital speed sensor it won't count the miles unless you leave the key on and the reluctor and magnet are energized.
I used to tow my friends race car to the track with a draw bar and it would count the miles. Not that it mattered much because the speedo was so far off due to the change of gearing in the diff.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

"According to Ford, if it is a hybrid you can flat tow, if not it will ruin the drive train."

Towing the hybrid only ruins the battery.
(Based on several owner reports.)

Lesser of two evils I suppose....

Dolly for me. If I need to.
So far I don't.
Good Luck!

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you have a shot of the front of the Maverick? I'm planning on getting Roadmaster to install the base plate and curious what it looks like and what they had to remove.
That Roadmaster baseplate requires you to destroy the lower stutter system As Ford says, the shutters are for heat management AND mileage. I don't believe it is truly harmful to remove the structure, but I'm not Ford who will be looking for any reason to deny a warranty claim.

@Palms has a great combo, with the Blue Ox baseplates and he replaced the lower Hybrid fascia with the FX4 lower fascia. Makes irt much nicer looking.

Ford Maverick First Flat Tow Behind the Motorhome RV active shutter roadmaster

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Towing the hybrid only ruins the battery.
(Based on several owner reports.)
Any chance you have a link to this? First I've heard of it but not eager to ruin my battery........

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any chance you have a link to this? First I've heard of it but not eager to ruin my battery........
No, towing a hybrid doesn't ruin the battery. IF you don't take precautions to keep your 12V battery charged, you will have a dead battery because the towed vehicle needs to power most (non-air-powered) supplemental braking systems. You can also generate a dead battery by placing your Brake-Buddy with too much pressure on the brake pedal. Been there done that. There are several charge-wire solutions to keep the 12 volt topped off as the vehicle is towed. I use a Toad-Charge...but do NOT leave these items connected when not towing as they also can use power. I think @Palms had that issue.

Sponsored

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IF you don't take precautions to keep your 12V battery charged, you will have a dead battery because the towed vehicle needs to power most (non-air-powered) supplemental braking systems.
Well that is true on any Toad really. I have a trickle line hooked up from the MH to prevent that, so it's never been an issue for me before.

Just wanted to make sure @GPSMan wasn't saying it was the hybrid battery. Which really makes no sense as I understand how these work but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the reassurance.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well that is true on any Toad really. I have a trickle line hooked up from the MH to prevent that, so it's never been an issue for me before.

Just wanted to make sure @GPSMan wasn't saying it was the hybrid battery. Which really makes no sense as I understand how these work but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the reassurance.
I've towed my 2 C-Max Hybrids (old 2013 SEL and now 2017 Titanium) with zero issues. I have yet to set up the Maverick because both my towbars are Roadmaster models (Stowmaster and Falcon2) and I am still waiting to see what Demco comes up with before installing Blue Ox to keep my warranty intact.

I ordered the Maverick with the plan to flat-tow it and sell the last C-Max, but it took so long, my wife and I went ahead and set up the 2017 early last year for summer travels. She has now decided that she loves the C-Max, so I may never set up this Maverick up to tow. Both weigh around the same 3750 lbs, but the Maverick is more desirable to me as an all-purpose towed.

Besides, I am hoping for Ford to release a Maverick Hybrid AWD that can be flat-towed. and would then sell this one.

My Current RV is an LTV Wonder Class C, built on the Ford Transit 350-HD chassis. Having a towed weigh under 4,000 lbs allows me full carrying capacity in the RV (1752 lbs), but when I tow the 4200 lb Jeep instead, it drops the RV to only have about 1550 lbs OCCC....which is still great for small Class C MH. When I had my Foretravel, I could tow 10,000 bs and not worry, but we downsized in 2021.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Besides, I am hoping for Ford to release a Maverick Hybrid AWD that can be flat-towed. and would then sell this one.
I was hoping for that as well, AWD Maverick would be the perfect Toad, I think. We have a Phoenix Cruiser 2552 . Ford E450. My Cherokee was fine but weighed in at a little over 4k, the Maverick should be a little lighter.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was hoping for that as well, AWD Maverick would be the perfect Toad, I think. We have a Phoenix Cruiser 2552 . Ford E450. My Cherokee was fine but weighed in at a little over 4k, the Maverick should be a little lighter.
I've towed 3 different toweds since getting the LTV. When I towed my old (traded for the Maverick) 4200 lb 2003 S-10 4x4 with driveshaft disconnect, I got about 12.5 mpg. The 4200 lb Jeep (with much larger wheels) rolled easier and was 13.5 or so. The 3700 lb C-Max got me 14 mpg.

Since the C-Max has tiny wheels compared to the Maverick (18" BAP wheels), I am expecting at least 14 mpg from the Transit. That 3.5L Ecoboost motor coupled with a 10-speed is a beast.

Donald

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most ruined hybrid batteries came from deep sleep sitting. Towing the hybrid the ignition is off. No difference than just sitting in the driveway. The lights and brake lights are powered by the motorhome lights. My RV1 brake controller never engages unless I hit the brakes really hard So it uses very little power.
Sponsored