JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just had a scary experience with my hybrid XLT while on the freeway! All of a sudden, the engine light came on and the message "stop safely Now" came on along with losing acceleration. The gas pedal was unresponsive and was able to cruise to the next exit crawling with hazards on!

370 miles on the read out and first tank of fuel 3 weeks in since delivery and this thing is already acting up? Coincedentally, I looked up recall and tsb day before and nothing ever came up.

I turned off thr engine and turned it back on after a few minutes and engine light was still on but everything else worked seemlessly fine.

Was able to drop it off at the dealerahip to have it looked at but you know, it seems to always happens on the weekends and it wouldn't get seen the earliest monday.

Is this the hybrid battery thing? Or something serious? The app shows a notifcation "Service Engine Soon" warning but doesn't explain into details.

I know someone here experienced the same thing with the Maverick but couldn't find anything about it. Seems to be all results are about the dead battery.

Sucks that you wait all this time for your order only to be takenaway in an instant.

Any insights?
Sponsored

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
It's a thing with the hybrids. There are many threads about this in the the Issues & Recalls sub. Check there for answers but by the time you get done researching you'll have more questions.

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Without knowing what code(s) might have been set into the computer it's only speculation as to what might have occurred. Often, if you let a vehicle sit for a few minutes a glitch might reset itself, but being that the MIL lamp came on immediately it's likely more an issue which is remaining present; and this could actually be a good thing versus a random intermittent issue which might not be able to have the cause detected. If it remains an issue when they get to work on it, the odds of the correct repair improve. It still sucks, but it does happen, even with expensive $100k+ luxury cars. Hopefully they find the issue and it's a simple fix and back in your hands quickly.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Just had a scary experience with my hybrid XLT while on the freeway! All of a sudden, the engine light came on and the message "stop safely Now" came on along with losing acceleration. The gas pedal was unresponsive and was able to cruise to the next exit crawling with hazards on!

370 miles on the read out and first tank of fuel 3 weeks in since delivery and this thing is already acting up? Coincedentally, I looked up recall and tsb day before and nothing ever came up.

I turned off thr engine and turned it back on after a few minutes and engine light was still on but everything else worked seemlessly fine.

Was able to drop it off at the dealerahip to have it looked at but you know, it seems to always happens on the weekends and it wouldn't get seen the earliest monday.

Is this the hybrid battery thing? Or something serious? The app shows a notifcation "Service Engine Soon" warning but doesn't explain into details.

I know someone here experienced the same thing with the Maverick but couldn't find anything about it. Seems to be all results are about the dead battery.

Sucks that you wait all this time for your order only to be takenaway in an instant.

Any insights?
Hi there! I can look into your Maverick’s “Stop Safely Now” concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know it's anecdotal and not statistical. But I've seen enough of these "My Maverick hybrid stopped on the freeway" and "My Maverick hybrid is waiting for parts" threads to be skittish. I would (currently) not recommend a Maverick hybrid to family or friend. Maybe a year from now after they figure these things out, and the dead batteries and parts issues too. And they will figure it out.

If these same reports were for the Santa Cruz, everyone on this forum would be crowing about the SC POS. Just saying...

Reminds me of the saying: "when your neighbor loses their job, it's a recession. When you lose your job it's a Depression." Well when somebody else's hybrid dies, it's a minor problem Ford will figure out soon and nobody should worry. But when your hybrid is a parked piece of junk iron at the dealership or it was your wife or daughter dangerously stranded on the highway, then it's a serious and urgent issue.

At some point, there have been enough incidents to stop brushing it off. That's when responsible automakers issue a "Stop driving and park the vehicle" advisory to the whole fleet until they resolve the safety issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi there! I can look into your Maverick’s “Stop Safely Now” concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?
I spoke to another Ford representative but kinda left me hanging.

Reactions: JAC

Dman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corolla,1990 Silverado,1949 GMC,1949 Harley
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Almost exact same issue happened to me yesterday. Driving on the highway, and acceleration started surging, I tried to accelerate and got flashing triangle and display said stop safely now. Looked around under the hood (Ha!), check the oil check, checks temp gauge, smelled the engine bay... all seemed okay. Drove home 15 miles gently with the CEL illuminated... As I gently got back on the highway, it was on full electric and with easy acceleration gas engine ran okay too. Called dealer, they looked at VIN (remote access) and said two codes were showing:
U0255 (Lost communication with front display)
T1A0E (Hybrid motor disabled)
Dealer suggested I not drive it until service but they are booked until November! Arg! Going to pick up a rental car while I try to book service with a different dealer.
Stats: XLT hybrid, 18420 miles. Received it in January 2022.
Well shucks!!!

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If these same reports were for the Santa Cruz, everyone on this forum would be crowing about the SC POS. Just saying...
Except there are a lot of reports of Santa Cruzes with transmission failing very early.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Almost exact same issue happened to me yesterday. Driving on the highway, and acceleration started surging, I tried to accelerate and got flashing triangle and display said stop safely now. Looked around under the hood (Ha!), check the oil check, checks temp gauge, smelled the engine bay... all seemed okay. Drove home 15 miles gently with the CEL illuminated... As I gently got back on the highway, it was on full electric and with easy acceleration gas engine ran okay too. Called dealer, they looked at VIN (remote access) and said two codes were showing:
Dealer suggested I not drive it until service but they are booked until November! Arg! Going to pick up a rental car while I try to book service with a different dealer.
Stats: XLT hybrid, 18420 miles. Received it in January 2021.
Well shucks!!!
They should provide us with rental! I've been hesitating taking it for a camping trip just because of what happened. I know people have done it lots of times but with my luck, it leave me and my family stranded in the middle of nowhere!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Well shucks!!!
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well shucks!!!
"Received it in January 2021" Assume you mean 2022, which is also when mine was delivered.

Deppizzymo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's nothing quite like waiting 14 months for a vehicle that you fully anticipate will eventually leave you stranded in highway traffic... Recall is needed but I am sure it's because they don't have the parts to fix the vehicles that get recalled! I sure hope August and later builds have this issue fixed.