NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Disclaimer—I really hate high tech stuff. Pay my bills with checks, no ATM, no EZPass, never had a computer, never had a pager, only reason I have an iPhone is because it was a birthday gift. So that being said, currently have a 2012 Chevy Colorado with no electric screen thingy. If I can get away with it, I will put photos and post it notes on the screen, as if it were a refrigerator. Is there anything on there that I HAVE to use? Can I turn on the truck, the radio,, heat, air conditioning without using it?
Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The screen is used to display Radio tuning.

OP
OP

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you just leave that on permanently? There are actual dials to change stations, correct ?

HappyCat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT-4k tow-FX4-Iconic Silver
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You'll need to use the screen to set your radio preset stations but then you can use the steering wheel controls for volume and moving between the presets. Or the center console knobs and buttons.

Like you I am more comfortable with analog interfaces. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the screen in the Maverick. I've had mine a week now and I kinda like it. The menus are simple, intuitive and easy to navigate.

My prior vehicle was a 2006 Silverado 2500 work truck, manual everything (locks, windows, 4x4 gear shifter on the floor).

OP
OP

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You'll need to use the screen to set your radio preset stations but then you can use the steering wheel controls for volume and moving between the presets. Or the center console knobs and buttons.

Like you I am more comfortable with analog interfaces. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the screen in the Maverick. I've had mine a week now and I kinda like it. The menus are simple, intuitive and easy to navigate.

My prior vehicle was a 2006 Silverado 2500 work truck, manual everything (locks, windows, 4x4 gear shifter on the floor).
I really only listen to two stations. I never bother pre-setting anything. Just flip the knobs between the two stations. If you can manually do that on the center console and it stays on the station, that is what I am looking for. I remember when I got my Colorado, the guy went through some long winded thing about some GM emergency service that was Free .for six months.There are some buttons on the rear view mirror. Once he got going, I told him I have AAA and I would never be using the emergency buttons. He said he had to explain everything anyway. I could barely stay awake . I just wanted him to tell me about the windshield wipers stick lol

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Disclaimer—I really hate high tech stuff. Pay my bills with checks, no ATM, no EZPass, never had a computer, never had a pager, only reason I have an iPhone is because it was a birthday gift. So that being said, currently have a 2012 Chevy Colorado with no electric screen thingy. If I can get away with it, I will put photos and post it notes on the screen, as if it were a refrigerator. Is there anything on there that I HAVE to use? Can I turn on the truck, the radio,, heat, air conditioning without using it?
I think you and I will have to sing to ourselves while we drive. I too am looking to figure out a way to avoid it. After the warranty is up I will try to figure out a way to convince my wife we should eliminate and replace it with something more usable. Even those DVD player radio decks were better than these screens. I dont like touchscreen anything though. Its just ludicrously imprecise. Something no one cares about apparently.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you and I will have to sing to ourselves while we drive. I too am looking to figure out a way to avoid it. After the warranty is up I will try to figure out a way to convince my wife we should eliminate and replace it with something more usable. Even those DVD player radio decks were better than these screens. I dont like touchscreen anything though. Its just ludicrously imprecise. Something no one cares about apparently.
Yup yup. This will be my first vehicle with any type of screen. As for touch screens, I must be part ectoplasm or something because they only intermittently react to my fingers; some never do no matter what. Having arthritis in the hands may play into that as a forecful poke at the screen is no longer an option from the get go.

Glad the screen can essentially be turned off (I believe it then only displays the clock on an otherwise black background) as that will be its default display for me.

Last edited:

Bunkyg

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav Lariat Lux 2.5, Ranger, Forester, Goldwing
Physically there is no place to install an old style radio. I can remember in the 70's being able to buy under dash brackets to install radios in cars but that wouldn't work with the Mav. Give the new tech a chance its not that bad

And if you decide you need help figuring it out we could figure out a place to meet, I don't mind running up north once in a while

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yup yup. This will be my first vehicle with any type of screen. As for touch screens, I must be part ectoplasm or something because they only intermittently react to my fingers; some never do no matter what. Having arthritis in the hands may play into that as a forecful poke at the screen is no longer an option from the get go.

Glad the screen can essentially be turned off (I believe it then only displays the clock) as that will be its default display for me.
I still think its all really bright at night. I dont like anything distractiong my eyes from the road especially at night. Even all the guages on an old car are annoyance to me at night. I'm driving faster than the speed limit, I know. I'm out of gas, I live way outside of town, I know. After every new car drives by, the moment I am no longer blinded by their super bright lights. I notice that their faces are all super bright from the screens in their cars. How is this a safe scenario and not akin to some sort of runaway escalation cycle?

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Physically there is no place to install an old style radio. I can remember in the 70's being able to buy under dash brackets to install radios in cars but that wouldn't work with the Mav. Give the new tech a chance its not that bad
The modern "old style radios" are only 3" deep x 2" tall x 8" wide. They would fit right where the new style is. It also would have lowered the purchase cost atleast a couple hundred dollars.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm guessing that screen will have dimming feature along with everything in front of the steering wheel.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The modern "old style radios" are only 3" deep x 2" tall x 8" wide. They would fit right where the new style is. It also would have lowered the purchase cost atleast a couple hundred dollars.
The RetroSound Laguna M1A radio might fit in the cubby hole!

Bunkyg

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav Lariat Lux 2.5, Ranger, Forester, Goldwing

Its been a few decades since I've really kept up with that sector of technology Sounds like they've figured a few things out

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still think its all really bright at night. I dont like anything distractiong my eyes from the road especially at night. Even all the guages on an old car are annoyance to me at night. I'm driving faster than the speed limit, I know. I'm out of gas, I live way outside of town, I know. After every new car drives by, the moment I am no longer blinded by their super bright lights. I notice that their faces are all super bright from the screens in their cars. How is this a safe scenario and not akin to some sort of runaway escalation cycle?
Oh, don't get me started on those ragga fragga bluish-white xenon headlamps.

(n)
Sponsored