EcoBoost Maverick, really ?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
...it really doesn't make a big difference if its RWD or FWD when you're under 200hp with decent 225mm tires. ...
Must not snow where you live. RWD and FWD are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT even when you're underpowered on good tires.

You see, RWD is fun. Power oversteer is a blast on snow, AWD boring. (We average 8' a year, but it comes 1"/day.)

No one likes understeer, so no FWD, AWD or 4WD vehicles can qualify as fun in snow. Too much traction.
My Jeep Grand Cherokee gets better mileage at 70 MPH sustained than at 50 MPH. ...
That's only true if you have the windows open at 50. You're using 2.7x the power at 70, everything else being equal. Aerodynamics hasn't changed. Neither has human opinion.

Funny that only one post showed any data, and that with a tiny sample size. Comparing 2.0L EcoBoost with 2.5L Hybrid, the Maverick should look a lot like the Escape, with a slight shift to lower mileage.
- 2.0L EcoBoost gets between 20 and 35MPG
- 2.5L Hybird gets between 30 and 45 MPG
- 2021 Hybird shows that a very small sample sizes (1 car) can yield very different results. Small sample sizes can lie.
Ford Maverick EcoBoost Maverick, really ? Fuelly 2020 Escape 2L 2107
Ford Maverick EcoBoost Maverick, really ? Fuelly 2020 Escape Hybrid 2106
Ford Maverick EcoBoost Maverick, really ? Fuelly 2021 Escape Hybrid Sport 2107

PS My car is in the 43 MPG bar. It's not hard to beat EPA ratings.
Sponsored

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If there was no ecoboost I wouldn’t be buying. I’m leaving a fast v8 to save money on fuel. Currently get 13.5 mpg. So to me 26MPG is amazing! My goal is to have a fun “truck” that I can afford to drive. $60 to fill up drains pretty fast at 13mpg. This is factoring into my budgeting a little bit as well. Well at least helping me justify a new truck lol

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You see, RWD is fun. Power oversteer is a blast on snow, AWD boring. (We average 8' a year, but it comes 1"/day.)
Funny you mention that, so I have experience with a RWD Ram 1500 that is heavily tuned for understeer and a little Abarth that's FWD that is tuned for neutral to mild oversteer which has more to do with weight balance and front/rear spring rates, and its easy to get the tail to spin around on the FWD Abarth a bit just by disabling TC and late braking and you can drift through with throttle to maintain balance.

Didj

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My parents had a Honda Element. It was literally the worst handling/driving car i have ever driven. The only thing i could compare it to was driving my uncles H1 hummer - not the fake GM ones, but a real hummer. The element drove like it was a vehicle 4 times its size in every direction.

I always wonder about people who drive Elements.
Wow…an Element hater! 🤣 I had one from 2004-2014 when a tree crushed it. I still miss that thing. They definitely weren’t for everyone. I used to say it drove like riding on a pig…you pull the left ear and SQUEEEEEEAAAAAL…you went left, you pull the right ear and SQUEEEEEEAAAAAL…you went right. However, I loved that my 3 and 6 year old daughters called it the “helicopter.” I camped in it for video game system releases…loaded it up for mountain biking expeditions, I made a TON of memories when I had that thing. Some of the utilitarian aspects of the Maverick remind me of the Element and that’s why I ordered one. I went through strong winds a couple of times while driving the “helicopter” and WOW!

Ford Maverick EcoBoost Maverick, really ? 376625D8-263E-4F21-A376-45F25D8BF34E

Sponsored

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Race cars can be tuned any way you want, but you'll never get power oversteer with FWD!!
Sure you will. Just throw it in reverse and take on the corner that way.

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow…an Element hater! 🤣 I had one from 2004-2014 when a tree crushed it. I still miss that thing. They definitely weren’t for everyone. I used to say it drove like riding on a pig…you pull the left ear and SQUEEEEEEAAAAAL…you went left, you pull the right ear and SQUEEEEEEAAAAAL…you went right. However, I loved that my 3 and 6 year old daughters called it the “helicopter.” I camped in it for video game system releases…loaded it up for mountain biking expeditions, I made a TON of memories when I had that thing. Some of the utilitarian aspects of the Maverick remind me of the Element and that’s why I ordered one. I went through strong winds a couple of times while driving the “helicopter” and WOW!

376625D8-263E-4F21-A376-45F25D8BF34E.jpeg
hahahaha! Who says trees don't have feelings.

Last edited:

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more power, and the double the towing is awesome...
But id just think that mileage would be more important for most folks.
I'm hearing that the 2.0 ECO boost will likely get somewhere around 26mpg, which impo, is about as terrible as I'd expect from a small ICE truck.

I would have guessed (before coming to this forum) Ford would sell 10 to 1 of the 2.5L hybrids to the 2.0 ECO boost, but apparently not

From a personal standpoint, if I had to stick to an ICE truck, I'd just stick with my F150. That truck is my baby, I can just barely afford to drive it 😟
Chris, I would think the Maverick would do better than the Ranger, but I don't know what the rear gearing is in the Maverick. My Ranger 2.3L EcoBoost w/3.73 gearing get 26-27 mpgs cruising. With the Maverick weighing less it should do better than that. With that said there is a saying, "You can have boost, or you can have mpgs. You can't have both." The Ranger is the first EcoBoost engine I've owned, and it took me a bit to learn where the sweet spot is if I'm looking for mpgs. Starting from a dead stop is where I had to learn to keep my right foot out of the Turbo. :)

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150

No experience with Elements, but my GF's 2016 Kia Soul is a pretty similar shape, and surprisingly, it handles great ! Flat around corners, very tight steering, and amazing get up an go from the 2.0L 4cyl motor. Unfortunately, it gets absolutely terrible mileage ! Like 26 mpg ! Just because of this, she has been kicking herself ever since she bought it. And it kills her that I'm getting 53 in my Prius. She knows now, that no matter what vehicle she trades it in on, if she wants great mileage, it's going to have to be a Hybrid.... Plus, she loves trucks 🙂 Hence the reason we might just end up with two Hybrid Mavericks... And a Prius 🙂

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Just wanted to throw this out there, as I've heard several mentions of "real world mileage"... And people's general distrust of mileage estimates on new vehicles....
Okay so a few years ago there were several class action lawsuits having to do with this. I know Ford was involved, and so was Hyundai. (I had one of the Hyundai's in question, and they were definitely BS'ing !)

Anyway, since then, auto manufacturers have been really careful to make sure they can back up there claims.
Case in point. The window sticker on my Prius claimed 48/53 (48 freeway, 53 in town)
So, in a Prius, it keeps a running total for mileage, for a trip, for a tank, or for the entire life of the car. My Prius has averaged 53.6 for it's entire life of 53K miles. But then I drive it pretty hard. I use it to make money, so I don't have any time to waste. Some of the guys into the whole hyper miling thing, over on the Prius forum, are getting more than 70 mpg ! Which is fantastic for them. I just don't have all day to get up to speed.

Another case in point; So I had heard that the 2023 all electric F150 only had a range of 300 miles.... And I thought, hmmm, that's not really great. Then later, I found out that was with a 1000 lb load ! AND, it was from 100% down to 20%.... NOT 100% down to zero !?!? The actual best case scenario, no additional load, and from 100% down to zero, is actually 468 miles ! Now I think that's pretty great ! So, do you think Ford "wanted" to say 300 miles .. with a load, and not all the way down to zero ? Of course not. The Government is forcing them to.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Were you part of the Element Owners Club?!

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This thread is still going? Just ignore snowflakes!

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Aerodynamics are a huge factor in fuel mileage. To reduce the drag of a pickup you have to turn it into something that isn't a pickup.
Nothing like air resistance increasing as per the square of the velocity x the Reynolds number. Efficiency at a power output/rpm can only be optimized so far. After that you have to use tricks like integrated electric motors, regenerative braking etc.

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Please, no name calling, stick to trucks.
Okay a fact. On the highway the hybrid gets 34mpg not 40. The electric motor only helps in city driving. So the difference between the 2.0 and the hybrid is not too terribly big. The good news is that the more car companies build electric the better they will be and the cost will come down.
Sponsored