First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting info. I’ll add that I use a filter magnet on all cars with a metal spin on filter. It keeps those sub 5 micron metallic particles against the wall of filter. I got this idea from a Cummins site 15 years ago.
That's interesting. Those things are surprisingly expensive. Are filter casings still metal? You can get a 12 pack of those neodymium magnets for under ten bucks on amazon. Bet they would work ok.
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Every airplane I have flown, you crank the engine a few times with the mags off to pump oil into the cylinder's, then turn the mags on to start.
Yup, and a Ford Maverick is basically just an airplane without wings if you don't think about it.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's interesting. Those things are surprisingly expensive. Are filter casings still metal? You can get a 12 pack of those neodymium magnets for under ten bucks on amazon. Bet they would work ok.
Just remember that not all wear metals inside the engine are ferrous i.e. magnetic.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup, and a Ford Maverick is basically just an airplane without wings if you don't think about it.
Lovely, so now I will have to go thru a TSA search before I can drive my truck.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just remember that not all wear metals inside the engine are ferrous i.e. magnetic.
Yeah, it's the same logic as a magnetic oil plug. A lot of the friction surfaces are steel. Seems like the best time for it would be during the break in period when any shavings or particles would be likely to float into the oil. Slapping a magnet onto the filter seems like cheap insurance.

Sponsored

AnchorChain

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 XLT, 2019 Rav4
No by insinuating you've never heard in and drawing significance to your statement by saying ALL the forums you've been on implies just that

Just say thanks, I didn't know that.

** That would be nice for a change. **

Paranoid NO, tired of giving people free info and helping and the still being a pita - yes!

It becomes exhausting when you give all you have and people continue to cause issues and you benefit them and they don't benefit you.

Just learn to say thanks and dont say any of that other jabbering

We've become a society that doesn't know how to appreciate without being dramatic about something
maybe you should stop your stupid assumptions! Just because someone says that’s the first they heard of it doesn’t mean what you think it means. If you wanna whine because it wasn’t the response you wanted maybe put those big boy pants on and join the real world Lol I’m not gonna appreciate your whining and paranoia. But hey keep crying about it.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds legit, flood mode. Many hi performance motors are turned over for first time without spark to see if motor has oil pressure.

II Kings 9:20

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, X5, Genesis AWD, Pacifica, MDX hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, those Amazon magnets work perfectly and I use them. I've been using the same 2 Filtermags for 20 years. I keep them when I sell.

The Amazon magnets are fantastic on the drain bolt and on the metal filter. I'll find my pics from 17 years ago when I did the first oil change on my 2005 300C at 1,000 miles. Very impressive. Magnets of course won't work on most Euro cars with plastic filter housings, same for my Pacifica. That's where a drain bolt magnet is a nice substitute or addition to a filtermag. I had a 92 and 94 Alfa 164 and they used a magnetic drain bolt and AFAIK, all automatic transmissions have a few large magnets in them

I also use the Fumoto drain valve. I just sold my Pacifica van to Carmax and removed the Fumoto. Remove, gloved finger in the hole, replace the original drain bolt that was in a zip lock in the glove box since 2017. I lost less than 1/4 of a quart of oil doing the swap. Have spouse/buddy standing by in case the original bolt slips out of your hand and you can't reach it. This little Japanese device is great and makes oil changes a breeze. I prefer to use it on cars with a metal filter where I can put a magnet because the Fumoto doesn't allow for a magnet.

I just picked up a new Rogue yesterday (selling the 2013 X5 to Carvana for ridiculously good money) and I will be putting an Amazon magnet on the drain bolt today.

One other thing on oil changes to consider guys. Don't trust those "Hecho en China" plastic or metal ramps. Make your own collapse proof ramps (I still use a hydraulic jack as a safety catch just in case Mr. Murphy shows up). I got the plans off Youtube and it's such a satisfying project to do especially if you can get the kids involved (wear safery glasses). They are superior to anything you can buy. I'll post pics later.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, it's the same logic as a magnetic oil plug. A lot of the friction surfaces are steel. Seems like the best time for it would be during the break in period when any shavings or particles would be likely to float into the oil. Slapping a magnet onto the filter seems like cheap insurance.
Very cheap insurance and it can't hurt. Differential and transfer case drain plugs are magnetized for a reason.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OK guys, sorry for the hijack but the topic is about oil changes.
Ford Maverick Don't pre-fill your oil filter?! IMG_2570

Ford Maverick Don't pre-fill your oil filter?! IMG_2569

Ford Maverick Don't pre-fill your oil filter?! IMG_2571

Ford Maverick Don't pre-fill your oil filter?! IMG_2567

Ford Maverick Don't pre-fill your oil filter?! IMG_2572

Sponsored

FORD BOSS ME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
Undecided
maybe you should stop your stupid assumptions! Just because someone says that’s the first they heard of it doesn’t mean what you think it means. If you wanna whine because it wasn’t the response you wanted maybe put those big boy pants on and join the real world Lol I’m not gonna appreciate your whining and paranoia. But hey keep crying about it.
ILL PRAY FOR YOU

BE BLESSED

AnchorChain

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 XLT, 2019 Rav4
Last edited:

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have never pre-filled a filter in my life. Impossible to do on the subaru as it is vertical with the threaded and hole sides down.

That being said - I've changed oil on dozens if not hundreds of models and I have never once prefilled a filter.
Yep same here, never prefilled a filter and never had an issue with any of the oil changes. The only lubing I do is the finger in the used oil and a wipe around the filter seal before tightening.
Sponsored