Sponsored

Do the extra-cost color options offer better quality?

Salwans

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Audi A4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder if the extra-cost paint choices are more durable that the standard colors.

I got a couple of small paint chips on the front of my hood after a recent road-trip. Starting to think about what I’d do differently if I order a 2023 model down the road. I currently have a Carbon Gray.
Sponsored

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Typically, colors that are closer to the metal color that they are covering are thinner since it takes less paint to achieve complete hiding of the underlying layers. So dark colors may have a slightly thicker lay down. What’s more important is the chemistry and curing processes. Therefore, even a thicker layer does not necessarily mean better anti-chip protection. The best proven guard against this is paint protection film on all leading edges/panels. Done right, it will preserve the underlying paint for years. These films are typically polyurethane-based, similar to what is used as screen protection for smartphones. Their self-healing properties keep them looking good, but they also need maintenance, and nothing will prevent the inevitable Big Rock from impacting somewhere.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
I have mine scheduled for protective film on hood and fenders. Just a strip across like a bug deflector. Then I ordered some ceramic coating. Fingers crossed this helps.

Zackmix2020

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Their is a clear vinyl wrap that you can apply to heavily exposed areas like bumpers and hoods, it’s like $20 for a roll if you wanna diy or $100 to have someone else to do professionally

Sponsored

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Their is a clear vinyl wrap that you can apply to heavily exposed areas like bumpers and hoods, it’s like $20 for a roll if you wanna diy or $100 to have someone else to do professionally
Done right, you will find this price is more like $1500-$2000 to wrap the front end. That's what Trimco charges in OC, CA ...... Not sure where you get the $100 from. I would check around with installers (even YouTubers state its well over $1000 to install clear vinyl wrap).

Zackmix2020

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Done right, you will find this price is more like $1500-$2000 to wrap the front end. That's what Trimco charges in OC, CA ...... Not sure where you get the $100 from. I would check around with installers (even YouTubers state its well over $1000 to install clear vinyl wrap).
Call Purrfect auto in Arcadia, the guy who does it his name is John. He charges roughly about 100-150 each part. Sorry I didn’t mean to say for like the whole job

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Call Purrfect auto in Arcadia, the guy who does it his name is John. He charges roughly about 100-150 each part. Sorry I didn’t mean to say for like the whole job
Makes total sense. Thanks for the clarification. I would like to do the entire front end of the truck and it costs $1900. Thought that was a bit expensive so I have but it off.

I have the Rapid Red Tricoat Clear (per Ford), so I think the RR color gets 3 color coats then a clear coat.
Sponsored