Sponsored

Different front grills on certain Mavericks?

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
Funny how things change. Back in the 50s and 60s if you had black painted wheels you were considered too cheap to buy wheel covers or alloys.
I'm not saying black painted steel wheels are expensive or high end. But the silver ones are down right low end. I suspect intentionally so to create a bigger demand (and perceived value) for upgrading to XLT or Lariat .
Sponsored

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not saying black painted steel wheels are expensive or high end. But the silver ones are down right low end. I suspect intentionally so to create a bigger demand (and perceived value) for upgrading to XLT or Lariat .
Absolutely no doubt about that. Ford knows exactly what they are doing.

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Oakland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be in the minority, but the silver metal wheels look tough. I've had years of designer wheels and keeping chrome or painted wheels clean and shiny has been a labor of love. I want wheels that just require soap and water to clean them up and that screams the basic silver metal ones. They're great!
With that said, I ordered an XLT with...designer wheels. 😳

Oakland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting headlights. I guess the end light is the blinker/emergency flasher, middle is the headlights, and the other is the bright lights. Am I wrong?

Sponsored

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm going for the Lariat, but will likely be looking for steel-wheel take-off's to use for winter snows. I've done this for both of my all-year vehicles, I could give a sh*t about looks, especially in the winter. (My Camaro stays parked in the garage all winter.)

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If they only offered the steel wheel design in MIL-SPEC black hard anodized aluminum in 17/18/19”. I’d pay extra for that.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting headlights. I guess the end light is the blinker/emergency flasher, middle is the headlights, and the other is the bright lights. Am I wrong?
Outer two are low beams. Inner is high beams. Running/turn signals are the two in the center bar.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I may be in the minority, but the silver metal wheels look tough. I've had years of designer wheels and keeping chrome or painted wheels clean and shiny has been a labor of love. I want wheels that just require soap and water to clean them up and that screams the basic silver metal ones. They're great!
With that said, I ordered an XLT with...designer wheels. 😳
Don't get me wrong, I love the Sparkle Silver wheels too. For two reasons: one, I'm utilitarian by nature. If it doesn't add utility, I don't want it. And for two, the failure points of steel wheels are the rims. They can dent on hard impacts. The failure point of aluminum wheels are the center hubs. They crack on hard impacts. A slightly dented wheel rim is easy enough to deal with. That said, I won't be offroading with it. But I have no illusions about the steelies being high end or a selling point. That said, I ordered the XL and I'll be very happy with them.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If they only offered the steel wheel design in MIL-SPEC black hard anodized aluminum in 17/18/19”. I’d pay extra for that.
Bronco Sport has an aluminum wheel that looks like a steelie design.

Sponsored

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't get me wrong, I love the Sparkle Silver wheels too. For two reasons: one, I'm utilitarian by nature. If it doesn't add utility, I don't want it. And for two, the failure points of steel wheels are the rims. They can dent on hard impacts. The failure point of aluminum wheels are the center hubs. They crack on hard impacts. A slightly dented wheel rim is easy enough to deal with. That said, I won't be offroading with it. But I have no illusions about the steelies being high end or a selling point. That said, I ordered the XL and I'll be very happy with them.
If you smack an aluminum rim hard enough to crack the center, then the vehicle is likely junk at that point. It takes a lot to crack an aluminum rim center.

ldanielsjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer XLT / 2018 Ford Expedition Ltd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It was mentioned that the XL grille is molded all as one piece with its crossbar while XLT and Lariat it's a separate piece.
Interesting, I had considered XL in Velocity blue, and I'd thought about taking the crossbar off an painting it to match the Velocity blue paint. That would be a much more difficult task if the grill is molded as one-piece.

Ponyprez

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang 2+2, 2008 Shelby GT500, 2015 Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sadly, a lot of people that spend more money on cars and trucks want to make sure everyone KNOWS they spent more money. Car companies love this and try their best to appeal to that vanity. The silver steel wheels on the XL are a great example. If they were painted black, it wouldn't look as cheap and you could likely offer it across all trim levels and only upgrade the wheels for the Lux packages.
I remember how in the 50's thru the 70's how they all used the same black wheels (for the most part) and models/upgrades came in the form of hubcaps/wheelcovers for those who wanted to look upper echelon.

Reactions: Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The grill on the XL for me, makes the front end look wider and look meaner!

In contrast, the ones on XLT and Lariat makes the the look narrower. Makes the distance between headlights seems closer. I don't know. All this waiting makes us very critical of the Maverick!
My thoughts, exactly! The Maverick critics need to get their trucks!