Detailing suggestions

MO Maverick

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac Grand Prix
As one of the very fortunate ones that have an October delivery date, I am looking ahead to detailing the truck very soon after I pick it up. My new rig is Alto Blue so I want to make sure that tint coat pops. In the past I have purchased products from Chemical Guys and really liked the results. Iā€™ve been looking into their ceramic line since ceramic seems to be the way to go as far as longevity. Does anyone have any suggestions to products and brands that they use for their detailing needs? I prefer to hand apply my products since I do not get to detail as much as Iā€™d like so Iā€™m not use to using a polisher. All suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As one of the very fortunate ones that have an October delivery date, I am looking ahead to detailing the truck very soon after I pick it up. My new rig is Alto Blue so I want to make sure that tint coat pops. In the past I have purchased products from Chemical Guys and really liked the results. Iā€™ve been looking into their ceramic line since ceramic seems to be the way to go as far as longevity. Does anyone have any suggestions to products and brands that they use for their detailing needs? I prefer to hand apply my products since I do not get to detail as much as Iā€™d like so Iā€™m not use to using a polisher. All suggestions are appreciated!
My plan is to get the truck clay bar, have the orange peel taken out and ceramic coated, I'm getting Cyber Orange and the Ceramic coat will make the color really pop.

Last edited:

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does chemical guys make a proper, pro level ceramic coating? Or is it ceramic infused spray on stuff?
My plan is to get the truck clay bar, have the orange peel taken out and ceramic coated, I'm getting Cyber Orange and the Ceramic coat will make the color really pop.
im thinking about performing a 1 stage polish after delivery. Iā€™m not brave enough to have it wet sanded to remove all orange peel though!

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the first think Iā€™ll do is use some iron remover to get the embedded rail dust of the paint. Then check smoothness with a sandwich bag swiped over the surface. If slick then Iā€™ll skip the clay and got to a polish with a DA polisher and polish before ceramic coat.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Does chemical guys make a proper, pro level ceramic coating? Or is it ceramic infused spray on stuff?

im thinking about performing a 1 stage polish after delivery. Iā€™m not brave enough to have it wet sanded to remove all orange peel though!
That is why I'm taking it to the pro's and have it done.

Sponsored

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not a fan of spending big dollars getting Diamond Coating, ceramic coatings applied, when there are so many good waxes available. I've used paste waxes (Turtle Wax, etc.) in the past, but have switched to the NuFinish line of products - their polishes work very well, but are NOT a protectant wax... however, this "Better than wax" easy on/off ceramic coating stuff seems to work well:

https://www.nufinish.com/product/nu-finish-better-than-wax-ceramic-coating/

Ford Maverick Detailing suggestions 20211107_122132

I use regular original Armor All on interior plastics.

martyi48

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You said, "I don't get to detail as much as I'd like". There is your answer. The prime benefit of ceramic coatings is not so much appearance (good waxes and sealants look just as good, at least for a while). The benefit of coatings is longevity. If you want to try to detail more often you defeat one of the main reasons coatings are even offered. A coating will last a year or two whereas wax about six months if you are lucky - sealants maybe a little longer.

As soon as I get a car I clay it after a good wash. Then I use P21S Paintworks Cleanser as my polish. Finally, I put two coats of a good wax, 12 hours apart. I have used several with equal success, including Duragloss 111 (actually a sealant), Collinite Insulator Wax 845 (probably my favorite), FK 1000p high temperature wax, and Adams Butter Wax. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I keep my car in the garage when not in use so I get a good six months at least out of these but I seldom go that long. After a few months I get the urge and have to detail - it is my therapy. For those that are not as intense and do not consider detailing a hobby, then coatings may be the way to go and save yourself some work.

Horizon62

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
AMMO NYC. See it on YouTube
Sponsored