2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Electrical problems in nearly 15% of respondents vehicles is quite high. At 3% I wouldn’t worry.

I‘m not freaking out, but I am concerned.
I understand that but I also think about how many happy hybrid owners that have not returned to this forum as they are off just enjoying their new truck. Now if someone has issues, I think they are more likely to return here for help or to see if others are having the same issue. Just my opinion.

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Worried about hybrid battery issues? Yes, among other things. It doesn't matter if the fix is simple for this particular problem. What matters to me is what it says about the things I can't see or touch.

From drilling into gas tanks, to cat converters so hot under the hood they glow red and warp heat shields, to now a crankshaft issue and hack fix, fire potential, janky radio, sketchy inconsistent regen braking... And you can bet your last dollar we are just getting started.

And so, having waited since September 2021 for a vehicle that will never arrive, while watching all this happen, I now feel blessed to be free from it.

I took delivery of a 2023 Subaru Crosstrek Sport for my daugther today, I am not putting her in a first year or even 2nd year model Hybrid Maverick. And until we are dead nuts sure the engine block cracking issue has been cured on 4-cyl Eco Boosts I would never consider one of those either.

Maybe in a few years time I will look at a Maverick again, but for now I am just happy to be free.

I'll do my own Curly Bill...

Ford Maverick Delete 80A15BEE-EDB2-4604-8C18-46F6A8E91831

PeteSJCA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Worried about hybrid battery issues? Yes, among other things. It doesn't matter if the fix is simple for this particular problem. What matters to me is what it says about the things I can't see or touch.

From drilling into gas tanks, to cat converters so hot under the hood they glow red and warp heat shields, to now a crankshaft issue and hack fix, fire potential, janky radio, sketchy inconsistent regen braking... And you can bet your last dollar we are just getting started.

And so, having waited since September 2021 for a vehicle that will never arrive, while watching all this happen, I now feel blessed to be free from it.

I took delivery of a 2023 Subaru Crosstrek Sport for my daugther today, I am not putting her in a first year or even 2nd year model Hybrid Maverick. And until we are dead nuts sure the engine block cracking issue has been cured on 4-cyl Eco Boosts I would never consider one of those either.

Maybe in a few years time I will look at a Maverick again, but for now I am just happy to be free.

I'll do my own Curly Bill...

80A15BEE-EDB2-4604-8C18-46F6A8E91831.gif
I
I share all of your concerns. I'm most concerned with losing power on the freeway or on a long road trip... But, mine has been built and still has to ship. I'm still very excited about the truck and can't wait to get it! I see you're in NorCal too, come by and I'll take you for a ride when I get mine.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems odd that anyone worried about engine reliability would decide on Subaru instead, but OK. Good luck avoiding minor issues with any new car. Having owned about 30 of them in the past 20 years, none have been 100% trouble free.

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nope. Love love love our Lariat Lux Hybrid. No issues yet and if any do pop up, such will be dealt with.
As a side note I don't freak out. Freaking out is never effective or productive.
I love your attitude am to old to freak out over anything any more am sure all the trucks coming off the line have the updated harness on them. I've always been concerned about first year models, but when I saw the maverick I had to have one, and I do have a XLT, lux eco and going to order a hybrid lux next month and sell the eco I think any bugs will be gone by then and if not ford will fix them.

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

IAgree with much of what you said... I do find error with the statement below.

Hybrid drivetrains are electronically more complex, but mechanically far simpler. Pick your poison, I guess.
I was a 8cyl guy back in the day, I said I would never buy a 6cyl vehicle had 2 then I SAID I WOULD NEVER BUY A 4 CYL CAR had 2 of them, then I said I would never buy a 4 cyl car with a turbo they wont last I had 2, keeping in mind I only keep a vehicle the length of the warranty then I said I will never buy a hybrid, well do I have to finish the sentence, yes am buying a hybrid . but I can tell you for sure I will never buy a 3cyl unless its on a motorcycle or a go cart, I can promise you that.

mjkladis

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
I’m not worried one bit, if you’re familiar with manufacturing at all, this problem is already going to be fixed for 2023. Crazy things happen and a skipped over spec in the builds isn’t uncommon.

Sponsored

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep seeing more and more threads, both here and on Reddit, about Hybrid owners with battery drainage issues (I.e. waking up to a completely dead truck in the garage that needs to be jumped) or even hybrids that entirely shut down while in motion - including at highway speeds. This all apparently has to do with an issue with the wiring harness but I have to say, it’s making me second guess my thoughts about ordering a 2023 Hybrid. Anyone else starting to get cold feet?
Ford Maverick Delete whitney-houston-how-will-i-know

013SamIAm

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Flex, 1965 Ford Galaxie, 2014 Toyota Camry
What was the "simple fix?"
it’s just a simple take the non connected piece out and replace it with an eyelet and crimp it on. Replace the heat shrink as well. It takes less than 5 minutes!

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid