First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Audi A3 89 Chevy S10 20 Pacifica S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So after almost 10 months I figured I'd have a truck that was 100%. I had to imagine that Ford did whatever it takes to get trucks out for 2022 and by "whatever it takes" I was hoping it wasn't literally. I wanted to change my wheels out. And low and behold, corners were cut, well not corners but my spindles. Tops trimmed to mount the shocks and as you can see the really hacked the area to mount the tie-rod. Not real happy with my first ever Ford. Has anyone else had this issue? XL Hybrid 230 miles. Who can I contact at Ford? Dealer is aware of my issue.
Ford Maverick Cutting corners IMG_20220812_163841729

Ford Maverick Cutting corners IMG_20220812_165756_01
Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see what you mean. Are you talking about the surfaced areas on the castings that are not painted? Not uncommon for those operations (machine or grinding) to take place after coating.

Or maybe I'm missing what you're pointing out.

OP
OP
mattzar

mattzar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been in the auto industry for 20+ years. The last 9 in aftermarket parts. I've never seen anything "shaved" like this, especially on a new car. My 2013 Audi and my 2017 and 2020 Chryslers never looked like this.
But if that's what Ford does then that's what they do. I've never owned a Ford so I guess I expect more. Surface rust on Ă  week old part doesn't look good in my opinion

OP
OP
mattzar

mattzar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even so, they should have painted it after cutting. It's poor quality control by Ford. No other good explanation.

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
NAW, I understand they use old parts bends from other previous/current vehicles to cut cost down but your picture should not be acceptable IMO

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have also never seen anything like this and don't see how that is supposed to be acceptable. I've got a rental $20,000 Nissan Kicks right now that does not look like that - and while it is not a "truck", neither is the Maverick. And the Kicks has adaptive cruise, a surround view monitor, smart key, etc.. now it's still a POS but defending the Maverick because it is cheap is no excuse at all.

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have not received my truck yet, but this is concerning . Others have posted areas behind the tail lights that are bare metal . And under the body, I think were it it supported during painting with no paint . As someone that lives in the rust belt I will be going over my truck if it ever comes and applying paint to all the surfaces that are not coated . Then strait to Krown rustproofing

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't intend to own the Maverick a day past warranty, so I don't much care. That said, it'll be interesting to see if the Maverick helps or hurts Ford's campaign to cut the warranty costs that are killing profits. Right now, it sure looks like it's hurting (but I'm not in Ford's accounting department, so what would I know?).

There's another car the Maverick reminds me of. The Chevy Bolt. I stood back in disbelief as the whole industry and press lauded the Bolt as some kind of genius achievement (it was basically an LG motor and battery and software jammed into GM's cheapest econocar platform). They won frigging car of the year awards and stuff. Then they had all kinds of launch problems. Then they spent billions replacing batteries on every single Bolt ever sold, telling drivers not to park them in garages so their families didn't die in a conflagration. Now the Bolt is a bad joke.

So we arrive at the Great And Powerful Maverick. Hmm, car of the year. Check. Adulation from the press and industry centered around price. Check. Problems at launch. Check. Multiple recalls. Check. Croaking while driving and stranding drivers along the side of the interstate. Check. Fire hazards. Check. Sure sounds like the Maverick is following the Bolt's path.

My point isn't to piss all over the Maverick. I'm excited to get mine delivered next month (please Ford). I'm just saying not to get too emotionally invested in it. Because new models always seem awesome right up until the moment they don't.

What I'd really love to see is for Sandy Munro to tear apart the Maverick and share what he finds.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Even so, they should have painted it after cutting. It's poor quality control by Ford. No other good explanation.
yes, there are good explanations- #2 & #4 above for example. You just don't want to accept them. IMHO your expectations might need adjusting here.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
yes, there are good explanations- #2 & #4 above for example. You just don't want to accept them. IMHO your expectations might need adjusting here.
Please provide examples of other vehicles with this sort of workmanship. I've owned cars from every Japanese, Korean, and German automaker and not a single one has had anything like that. Excusing it for cost is not an acceptable answer.

Perhaps this is a Ford thing. It is not a thing at any other manufacturer - at any cost - that I'm aware of.

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Perhaps spraying some rust inhibitor on those machined areas would help keep the rust at bay. That’s probably what I’ll do when I get my Maverick.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's a mass produced part on a $23k truck. They cast it, coat it, and final machine it for assembly.
That "final machining" looks like it was done by a cross eyed drunk with a 4 inch angle grinder.
Looks like they don't sell black spray paint in Mexico.