First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I lean towards the idea of the wider screen coming in the future, and also lean towards looking into an upgrade after it does.

I'll likely wait until I can simply buy a whole unit for conversion, trim included, thats Sync 4 or better for the wireless carplay. If I'm going to invest the time and money I'll wait till I can do it once and be done.

As for hiding the cubby it would seem easier to 3D print a plug for the hole. Same with the tray area behind the screen if one wanted to fill that in, though sticking that in place would call for some 3M tape.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Something that has been in the back of my mind is how well it would accommodate a HUD. Something I may tinker around with when I get my truck in April/May.
e194845061484b8eb287031d9d73215f.jpg
But isn't the whole point of the HUD that the data appears directly in the driver's view so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road (or even re-focus from distant viewing) to see the HUD data? Placing a "HUD" in the middle of the dash, where you have to focus away from the road itself seems like it would defeat the purpose. Not much different than looking at the screen in the middle of the dash?

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello, I might have my Maverick April/May/June. Once I do the absolute very first thing that needs to happen is a cubby Delete. I think the cubby is absolutely dumb. On my own I could probably ignore it, however I cannot tolerate everyone else who gets into my Maverick making stupid comments about it like, what's this? what's it for? why is it there? why does it look like that? why did they make it like this? why why why why why ect.

The true mark of masterful design would be an interior you don't notice it, you don't talk about it, it just functions flawlessly. My cubby will be deleted and replaced with an angled screen with ram ball mounts on top.
I found a video that very clearly shows how to disassemble the dash.

Screenshot_20230130_163706_Chrome.jpg

I have never made nor 3D printed anything so step 1 is to design a new tray that's a flat deck with RAM ball and/GoPro mounts on it.

Screenshot_20230130_162622_Chrome.jpg

Next I need to figure out my options for actually deleting the cubby. I am proficient with a dremel. If I cannot remove screws I can slice it out, make a bigger window for a screen. However I need to know/find a resource on further opening the above unit. Is there any bigger screen to drop in or do I need to 3d print a new cubby-less housing for the screen?

Screenshot_20230130_162804_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230130_162540_Chrome.jpg

If I'm 3d printing a new housing I'm going to try build in functionality. Either tilt the screen more towards the driver or have it recessed & hooded.

Screenshot_20230130_162501_Chrome.jpg

I appreciate any assistance.

Screenshot_20230129_074648_Chrome.jpg
This looks like a heck of a lot of work and trouble just to get a bigger screen. I will tell you this: Neighbor has a new F-150 and he dislikes the bigger screen size. Says it's too distracting. I think the Maverick's screen size is a perfect ratio for the size of the truck's interior. Nonetheless, good luck with your endeavors.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Something that has been in the back of my mind is how well it would accommodate a HUD. Something I may tinker around with when I get my truck in April/May.
e194845061484b8eb287031d9d73215f.jpg
A Nice HUD interface right there would be pretty next level and help offset how shitty Sync 3. Come on CarPlay.....

Sponsored

OP
OP
RatherBeDrivingaManual

RatherBeDrivingaManual

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA Miata, Subaru Legacy, XLT Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

redskins5

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford F150 Hybrid, 2022 mavrick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This looks like a heck of a lot of work and trouble just to get a bigger screen. I will tell you this: Neighbor has a new F-150 and he dislikes the bigger screen size. Says it's too distracting. I think the Maverick's screen size is a perfect ratio for the size of the truck's interior. Nonetheless, good luck with your endeavors.
I have a 2021 F-150 Hybrid and love the larger screen compared to the smaller screen of my Mavrick

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2021 F-150 Hybrid and love the larger screen compared to the smaller screen of my Mavrick
Each to his own. While I would not turn down a Maverick with a larger screen, I also wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of trying to replace what's there. And for those who would, that's fine. They will do it and post how they did it and other members will benefit and ideas will be shared. Always a good thing.

OP
OP
RatherBeDrivingaManual

RatherBeDrivingaManual

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA Miata, Subaru Legacy, XLT Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They will do it and post how they did it and other members will benefit and ideas will be shared. Always a good thing.
I'm working on it. Give me some time to learn onshape https://www.onshape.com

& Time to get my truck.

Sponsored

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford reps told my dealer that the design was for a Sync 4 with a 10" - 12" screen but cost was a driving factor. Now that the price keeps going up it may be coming as a standard feature.

Reactions: Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford reps told my dealer that the design was for a Sync 4 with a 10" - 12" screen but cost was a driving factor. Now that the price keeps going up it may be coming as a standard feature.
Thanks. That explains the cubby hole . . . which we all kind of figured, after all, who would purposely design that? :)

oneinch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stanton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Assuming a larger screen can be plug-n-play I am surprised a 3rd party hasn't already marketed such an upgrade. As popular as the Maverick is, it seems like a no brainier. I would like to have a wider screen and possibly a little taller too. The cubby is pointless and I too believe it is just a place holder.