GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA Miata, Subaru Legacy, XLT Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hello, I might have my Maverick April/May/June. Once I do the absolute very first thing that needs to happen is a cubby Delete. I think the cubby is absolutely dumb. On my own I could probably ignore it, however I cannot tolerate everyone else who gets into my Maverick making stupid comments about it like, what's this? what's it for? why is it there? why does it look like that? why did they make it like this? why why why why why ect.

The true mark of masterful design would be an interior you don't notice it, you don't talk about it, it just functions flawlessly. My cubby will be deleted and replaced with an angled screen with ram ball mounts on top.
I found a video that very clearly shows how to disassemble the dash.

Ford Maverick Cubby Delete Screenshot_20230130_163706_Chrome

I have never made nor 3D printed anything so step 1 is to design a new tray that's a flat deck with RAM ball and/GoPro mounts on it.

Ford Maverick Cubby Delete Screenshot_20230130_162622_Chrome

Next I need to figure out my options for actually deleting the cubby. I am proficient with a dremel. If I cannot remove screws I can slice it out, make a bigger window for a screen. However I need to know/find a resource on further opening the above unit. Is there any bigger screen to drop in or do I need to 3d print a new cubby-less housing for the screen?

Ford Maverick Cubby Delete Screenshot_20230130_162804_Chrome

Ford Maverick Cubby Delete Screenshot_20230130_162540_Chrome

If I'm 3d printing a new housing I'm going to try build in functionality. Either tilt the screen more towards the driver or have it recessed & hooded.

Ford Maverick Cubby Delete Screenshot_20230130_162501_Chrome

I appreciate any assistance.

Ford Maverick Cubby Delete Screenshot_20230129_074648_Chrome
Sponsored

FATONY1121

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use my cubby up top to house my tree air freshener. No one has asked me what is for, I guess since it is being used. I like the idea of a camera mount up there though. Seems like you could just attach a ram mount in the existing tray rather than come up with a whole new piece though.

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been driving a Maverick for 14 months. I've had a lot of people ride in my truck. Not one person has commented on the tray behind the infotainment screen. Not one.
Now the stupid hole next to the infotainment screen.... that's an entirely different story. I'd delete that ugly eyesore way before I'd take any of my time getting rid of tray on the dashboard.

Last edited:

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The most obvious reason in terms of why something in a Ford vehicle looks like a filler (blank plate, a slot that can hold a credit/ID card near your drive mode selector buttons, this open space)? There was supposed to be something there, generally in a higher end variant, that yours doesn't have.

So, the most obvious explanation is a larger screen. Just so happens that this platform has a larger (specifically wider) screen option, coming to Escape for 2023 and even showing up last year on Focus in Europe and elsewhere. Maverick is begging for someone (Ford or DIY) to do the same.

2023 Escape:

Ford Maverick Cubby Delete 1675117243831

2022 Escape:

Ford Maverick Cubby Delete 1675117273974

ZachSD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Canyon 3.5L (159k)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Something that has been in the back of my mind is how well it would accommodate a HUD. Something I may tinker around with when I get my truck in April/May.
Ford Maverick Cubby Delete e194845061484b8eb287031d9d73215f

Sponsored

OP
OP
RatherBeDrivingaManual

RatherBeDrivingaManual

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA Miata, Subaru Legacy, XLT Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@ZachSD not looking to get crazy and make a HUD.

@jsus the '23 escape would look nice to a lot of people. I think it would be okay if those were physical buttons under the screen. I hate the look of the '22, looks like stuck on Mazda garbage.

Over all I don't want an interior theme that's YUGE SCREEN. Every modern car does that. I am looking to create, driver focus. Angle the screen, bring it as close to the driver & delete the cubby.

Ford Maverick Cubby Delete 5a88b79e6b97734041ecd24849cd2b8b (1)

@FATONY1121 good suggestion, I think printing a new tray/lid could be easy & look seamless. I'll consider your method if it's not or if just bolting on a ram bar is cheaper.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in line with the larger screen theory. In fact, once the larger screen becomes available for the Escape becomes available from parts stores, I plan to experiment with swapping out the one in the Maverick after I research the circuit diagrams.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The cubby works great for suction cup cell phone / GPS / Scanner mounting.

If you USE IT for something NO ONE will ask what it is used for!!!

šŸ˜

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Something that has been in the back of my mind is how well it would accommodate a HUD. Something I may tinker around with when I get my truck in April/May.
e194845061484b8eb287031d9d73215f.jpg
Great idea! Our Hyundai Palisade had a HUD feature and I rely on it. Miss not having that on the Maverick, so officially 'watching' this thread'. Thanks for posting this.

Sponsored

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have effectively zero chance to put in a bigger screen.

I'm sure with enough effort you could print something to hold the screen that didn't have a cubby. If you do so expect no warranty work on anything sync related because one look at your new setup & any dealer will punt it right back to you. I'd also say there is a non-zero chance you could brick the entire device and have to buy a whole new one to replace the one you break. I also believe that you are the only person who would ever know or care about the cubby or lack thereof.

hellokitty1984

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@ZachSD not looking to get crazy and make a HUD.

@jsus the '23 escape would look nice to a lot of people. I think it would be okay if those were physical buttons under the screen. I hate the look of the '22, looks like stuck on Mazda garbage.

Over all I don't want an interior theme that's YUGE SCREEN. Every modern car does that. I am looking to create, driver focus. Angle the screen, bring it as close to the driver & delete the cubby.

5a88b79e6b97734041ecd24849cd2b8b (1).jpg

@FATONY1121 good suggestion, I think printing a new tray/lid could be easy & look seamless. I'll consider your method if it's not or if just bolting on a ram bar is cheaper.
Most of the "Mazda" garbage existed when Ford and Mazda were still united. Mazda separated and made quite a bit better products individually, and I believe the CX-5 first gen speaks for that. I own one. :)

Fitzovich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your truck, enjoy. Not an issue for me. I think the cubby next to the screen is a waste of space and I really, really wonder about Fordā€™s market research and focus groups. That said, I donā€™t worry about wh others think of my choices.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your truck, enjoy. Not an issue for me. I think the cubby next to the screen is a waste of space and I really, really wonder about Fordā€™s market research and focus groups. That said, I donā€™t worry about wh others think of my choices.
I think it's pretty obvious that it's just a place holder for the wider screen that's used in the current escape and European Ford focus. Could see it used on MY24 or MY25. That being said this is one of the more ridiculous threads I've seen on this site. I 3d printed a phone mount that I use in the cubby and wired my lightning cable through it. OP sounds like they have horrible friends or are just really insecure
Sponsored