First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How does your FordPass app keep accumulating points unless you are buying stuff or paying for services?
We have three cars in the family. We always lease. Nearly every 12-18 months a lease is up for renewal. We lease a new car, more points.
On the last three cars we leased, we’ve made money— in one case $10,000–by purchasing the car at the end of the lease and immediately selling it.
Many people don’t like to lease cars, but we subscribe to the philosophy that you lease assets that depreciate and you purchase assets that appreciate. Automobiles always depreciate, so we always lease them. We never pay for service because the car never needs service during the lease. Other than routine oil changes. Unfortunately, while waiting for my Maverick, which was a 13 month ordeal, I had to have five lease extensions from Ford motor credit on my 2019 Ford Flex. During that time, I had to change the tires because they would’ve never passed inspection upon turn-in… and I don’t like driving on bad tires. I have yet to get an oil change in my Maverick but it has just turned 6000 miles.
Sponsored

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You can't go by something not listed on the label. You have to check the data sheet. If it didn't meet Ford requirements it would most likely be listed on the label to prevent lawsuits. Heck, Ford Motorcraft synthetic oil is mostly imported from Korea and that's not on the label.

OP
OP
BDennis

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The label list the specs it qualifies for, none are the Ford spec.

OP
OP
BDennis

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can't go by something not listed on the label. You have to check the data sheet. If it didn't meet Ford requirements it would most likely be listed on the label to prevent lawsuits. Heck, Ford Motorcraft synthetic oil is mostly imported from Korea and that's not on the label.
So if it is not on the label you should assume it qualifies 😂

OP
OP
BDennis

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most ridiculous reply ever, so your point if it is not listed assume. Pull the data sheet prove me wrong 😆

Sponsored

OP
OP
BDennis

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Read the label, Kirkland is GF-5 rated, not GF-6, this is why it is not rated WSS-M2C962-A1 for use in the hybrid as required in the owners manual.

The difference between Kirkland and as example Mobil 1
Kirkland
Labeled: API SN PLUS/ILSAC GF-5

Mobil 1
Labeled: API SN PLUS/ILSAC GF-6
Here are six things you should know about GF-6:

1. What do the new GF-6 standards mean for my engine?
    ILSAC standards are constantly evolving and improving to meet changing industry demands. The popularization of turbocharged engines among Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) has led to a new focus on turbocharger-specific standards for GF-6. The primary purpose of GF-6 is to combat problems with LSPI, a common issue with turbocharged engines. As in the 2018 upgrade of API SN to API SN Plus, the new ILSAC GF-6 standards also require added protection against the harmful effects of LSPI in today’s modern turbocharged engines.
  2. What is LSPI and how does it affect my engine?
    LSPI creates excessive pressure within the engine’s cylinders, which can cause permanent damage to cylinder walls, pistons, piston rings, connecting rods and spark plugs. The internal engine damage caused by LSPI can also lead to catastrophic engine failure. Learn more about LSPI and its effects on your engine.
  3. Do Mobil™ motor oils meet GF-6 standards?
    Yes, our Mobil 1™, Mobil Super™, and Mobil™ Full Synthetic motor oils meet and exceed ILSAC GF-6 specifications.
  4. When can I purchase the new GF-6 engine oils?
    We will be launching the new Mobil 1 ILSAC GF-6 engine oils on a rolling basis. You will see products with updated packaging on store shelves within the coming months. By summer of 2020, all of our packages will reflect the change.
  5. Will GF-6 apply to every kind of viscosity grade?
    Almost. There will be a split between 0W-16 viscosity grade engine oils and all other existing ILSAC viscosity grades. GF-6A will represent existing ILSAC viscosity grades and GF-6B will represent 0W-16 viscosity grade oils only.
  6. Does my vehicle need an ILSAC GF-6 engine oil?
    ExxonMobil advises checking your vehicle’s owner’s manual to determine if your engine requires an ILSAC GF-6 engine oil.

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This Ecoboost 2.0L engine has been around for more than a decade and it appears that they have made very few changes to the original design. The trannys and PTU had major changes due to issues but I don't know of major 2.0L engine redesigns since they started dropping them into Escapes in 2013. This is also not a super high reving ZO6 or finely tuned high performance sports car. It's a cheap and time tested 2.0L Ecoboost that is putting out almost the same HP and torque as it did in 2013 with more gears and better gear rations for optimum mpg. Use the oil you want but I''m sticking with synthetic brands that meet the general specs and not Ford branded oil with their "special specs". The do this with almost every model car owners manual. Pull out another model with a different engine and see if there isn't some similar note.

I would be more worried about an engine malfunction claim if I had installed some type of aftermarket tune. This would almost certainly be a cause for an engine warranty claim denial so make sure you're out of the warranty before you start custom tuning. I'm pretty sure they can pull the pcm info to see if there had been tune changes even if it was restored back after a meltdown.

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So if it is not on the label you should assume it qualifies 😂
No, I didn't say you should assume. You said that. I said that all the specifications aren't printed on the label and to check the data sheet.

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Read the label, Kirkland is GF-5 rated, not GF-6, this is why it is not rated WSS-M2C962-A1 for use in the hybrid as required in the owners manual.

The difference between Kirkland and as example Mobil 1
Kirkland
Labeled: API SN PLUS/ILSAC GF-5

Mobil 1
Labeled: API SN PLUS/ILSAC GF-6
Here are six things you should know about GF-6:

1. What do the new GF-6 standards mean for my engine?
    ILSAC standards are constantly evolving and improving to meet changing industry demands. The popularization of turbocharged engines among Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) has led to a new focus on turbocharger-specific standards for GF-6. The primary purpose of GF-6 is to combat problems with LSPI, a common issue with turbocharged engines. As in the 2018 upgrade of API SN to API SN Plus, the new ILSAC GF-6 standards also require added protection against the harmful effects of LSPI in today’s modern turbocharged engines.
  2. What is LSPI and how does it affect my engine?
    LSPI creates excessive pressure within the engine’s cylinders, which can cause permanent damage to cylinder walls, pistons, piston rings, connecting rods and spark plugs. The internal engine damage caused by LSPI can also lead to catastrophic engine failure. Learn more about LSPI and its effects on your engine.
  3. Do Mobil™ motor oils meet GF-6 standards?
    Yes, our Mobil 1™, Mobil Super™, and Mobil™ Full Synthetic motor oils meet and exceed ILSAC GF-6 specifications.
  4. When can I purchase the new GF-6 engine oils?
    We will be launching the new Mobil 1 ILSAC GF-6 engine oils on a rolling basis. You will see products with updated packaging on store shelves within the coming months. By summer of 2020, all of our packages will reflect the change.
  5. Will GF-6 apply to every kind of viscosity grade?
    Almost. There will be a split between 0W-16 viscosity grade engine oils and all other existing ILSAC viscosity grades. GF-6A will represent existing ILSAC viscosity grades and GF-6B will represent 0W-16 viscosity grade oils only.
  6. Does my vehicle need an ILSAC GF-6 engine oil?
    ExxonMobil advises checking your vehicle’s owner’s manual to determine if your engine requires an ILSAC GF-6 engine oil.
Do you work for Mobil 1 or something? How long are you going to fight this fight? lol.

We reached out to Warren. The Kirkland signature oil is literally Ilsac GF-6 for 5W30 and OW20. Its in the Technical Data we posted for the oil.

Brand name oils are a scam, shits expensive right now, quit spreading misinformation and quit scaring other users from affordable, good oil that meets Ford Specs.

todd92

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 (2), Edge ST, Edge Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Kirkland meets ILSAC GF-6A and API SP, therefore it meets Ford specs. I would have no problem using it. However, I'm a cheapskate and Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum are cheaper when they have rebates. Both are $24 for 5 quart jugs at Walmart and typical offer $10 a jug rebates 1-2 times a year. I just stock up.

Sponsored

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, I know this seems hard to believe, but Kirkland full synthetic lacks the required Ford WSS-M2C962-A1 specification that is in your owners manual. WSS is a Ford specific requirement and putting the wrong oil, even if it is the right viscosity could void your warranty. Do you have to use Motorcraft, no, I use Mobil 1. Use what ever brand you like just look for WSS. Fir semi syn the speciation is WSS-M2C963-A1.
Don‘T believe me, check out the packaging on you next Costco visit.
IMG_1286.jpeg
IMG_1285.jpeg
I just take my vehicles to the dealer for servicing. They do an extensive multi-point inspection and they top off all consumable fluids. I get Ford parts, oil and know how for around $55 and my wife and I can have our day to ourselves.
I used to change my own oil but I got over it. :)

OP
OP
BDennis

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I didn't say you should assume. You said that. I said that all the specifications aren't printed on the label and to check the data sheet.
On the label it is a GF5 synthetic, Ford requires a GF6

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

On the label it is a GF5 synthetic, Ford requires a GF6
Here's a picture of a bottle of the 5w-30 I have that was manufactured late 2022.

Ford Maverick Costco / Kirkland full synthetic oil is not certified for use in any Ford PXL_20240206_203411764

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs