First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux. Pkg., '16 Miata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, what arrives in today's mail but the January 2022 issue of Consumer Reports. [Maybe old news for those who read CR online, but new news for us dinosaurs...] The headline article is "The 10 Most Reliable New Cars." The Maverick is of course too new to be reviewed, but there are clues to its future placement. Consider:

• the most reliable small SUV is the Bronco Sport
  • the most reliable mid-size pickup is the Ranger
  • and hybrid engines are deemed to be the most reliable generally ["Compact hybrids and plug-in models are the top-scoring category"]
So, a vehicle that borrows from the Bronco Sport (and maybe a bit from the Ranger) and is a hybrid looks like it is in pretty good company!
Sponsored

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t have access to consumer reports at the moment. Need my computer with military ID reader (CR is free for military, ask for more info). I did look into this and USAToday says a different story. I’m not backing any of this information one way or the other. I think that vehicles will all have their issues but most will work well enough. In general people worry too much about what might happen and waste money on fear.

Ford is 18th least reliable manufacturer and Lincoln is 28th (dead last). USAToday is claims to receive the data from consumer reports.
Ford Maverick Consumer Reports Most Reliable New Cars 502A9E0B-2A13-4D9E-9554-B85DB49AE16F

Worst vehicles make Ford look even worse. Not sure why we don’t see a Lincoln on the list.

Ford Maverick Consumer Reports Most Reliable New Cars E35C5C10-1649-4FED-ADDA-AC1A0E2F7C77

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don’t have access to consumer reports at the moment. Need my computer with military ID reader (CR is free for military, ask for more info). I did look into this and USAToday says a different story. I’m not backing any of this information one way or the other. I think that vehicles will all have their issues but most will work well enough. In general people worry too much about what might happen and waste money on fear.

Ford is 18th least reliable manufacturer and Lincoln is 28th (dead last). USAToday is claims to receive the data from consumer reports.
502A9E0B-2A13-4D9E-9554-B85DB49AE16F.jpeg

Worst vehicles make Ford look even worse. Not sure why we don’t see a Lincoln on the list.

E35C5C10-1649-4FED-ADDA-AC1A0E2F7C77.jpeg
Yeah but every other car maker is for lame people.

Deleted member 4163

Having a recall so early does not speak well for its reliability as far as I am concerned.

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having a recall so early does not speak well for its reliability as far as I am concerned.
Devils advocate here. Would a recall early on mean Ford is working diligently to ensure quality?

Last edited:

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And the Ford Escape is 13th on that list. The vehicle that shares the platform with the Maverick, especially the powertrain.

Deleted member 4163

Devils advocate here. Wouldn’t a recall early on mean Ford is working diligently to ensure quality?
It means they didn't do the quality control either pre-production or in-production. Reliability is not based on after-the-fact recalls. Recalls cost automakers and consumers time and money (the value of their vehicle goes down.) Do the job right the first time and there won't be a need for a recall.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlatheadKen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Milan, 2022 Kona N
Consumer Reports is a biased and easily bought rag of a entity. Dont take ANYTHING they say without a massive grain of salt. They're proven to have manipulated tests to push biases. THeir views are worth less than nothing and I encourage others to view the facts.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-90s-scandal-consumer-reports-hopes-you-forgot-about/

ir
They still influence the market for people intending to buy a vehicle. And the reliability ratings are based on unbiased statistics from actual users. Discrediting them by citing a debacle from the 80's is akin to judging Ford's quality by judging the Bronco II from that era. I also encourage you to view the facts.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It means they didn't do the quality control either pre-production or in-production. Reliability is not based on after-the-fact recalls. Recalls cost automakers and consumers time and money (the value of their vehicle goes down.) Do the job right the first time and there won't be a need for a recall.
Recalls can impact value positively, negatively, or not at all. Recalls are factored in to the total cost of the vehicle. It is impossible to avoid any and all recalls.

Aren’t we still just entering production. Recalls right now are saving a fortune. I would much prefer to find the bugs early than in 5 years with 500k units to repair. No recalls today would almost guarantee problems were swept under the rug

Your statement that reliability is not based on after the fact recalls doesn’t align with your first post.

While it may be true that heavily recalled vehicles are generally poorer in quality (with few exceptions). Should that conclude, based on 1 incident, that the Maverick will be highly recalled and poor quality?

I am not a fanboy but I question biases and black & white thinking.

Sponsored

Deleted member 4163

Recalls can impact value positively, negatively, or not at all. Recalls are factored in to the total cost of the vehicle. It is impossible to avoid any and all recalls.

Aren’t we still just entering production. Recalls right now are saving a fortune. I would much prefer to find the bugs early than in 5 years with 500k units to repair. No recalls today would almost guarantee problems were swept under the rug

Your statement that reliability is not based on after the fact recalls doesn’t align with your first post.

While it may be true that heavily recalled vehicles are generally poorer in quality (with few exceptions). Should that conclude, based on 1 incident, that the Maverick will be highly recalled and poor quality?

I am not a fanboy but I question biases and black & white thinking.
Call me old fashion, but I want something I buy and pay a lot of money for to be built right the first time. Excuses are just that, Excuses. Again, we pay a lot of money for these vehicles and we deserve better. The fact that they are already finding something worth recalling a vehicle for tells me they did not do a whole lot of pre-production testing or engineering which tells me this is just the beginning of the recalls. Look at how they pulled the 4k tow package for front wheel drive Mavericks long after people started ordering them. Do you seriously mean to tell me that their engineering team didn't know that the 4k tow package wouldn't work on front wheel drive vehicles before they offered it as an option? Once again, this speaks more to them rushing a product rather than their quality control after the fact. Great, they found a problem before thousands received them, but that is nothing to be proud of. They should have found it before they started producing them. That is what their engineers are paid to do. Expecting a quality product for one's hard-earned dollars isn't black and white thinking. It is required of us in a free-market capitalist economy. If we don't expect the highest of standards for our money, then who is to blame if we receive caca? Us, that's who. By the way, recalls do nothing to increase a cars value. My recalled and then checked and then frozen engine on my Sonata speaks to this devaluation. Ford would only offer me $1500 because they said the engine was replaced. I am giving it to my dad.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Consumer Reports is terrific. Their methodology is transparent, and their testing is reasonably objective. They are one of the few publications that doesn't accept advertising revenue, which keeps them clean.

Are they imperfect? Sure. Is there anything better? No.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Call me old fashion, but I want something I buy and pay a lot of money for to be built right the first time. Excuses are just that, Excuses. Again, we pay a lot of money for these vehicles and we deserve better. The fact that they are already finding something worth recalling a vehicle for tells me they did not do a whole lot of pre-production testing or engineering which tells me this is just the beginning of the recalls.
🙄

It's hard to overstate how ridiculous you sound. Is this your first car? If not, is this the first car you've followed closely? Because every manufacturer has recalls. Ford's seat belt anchor recall on trucks made in a 14 day window is not indicative of anything.

If you think this means something, perhaps you should buy a car or truck from a manufacturer that has no history of recalls.

Go ahead and name one. I'll wait.

Deleted member 4163

🙄

It's hard to overstate how ridiculous you sound. Is this your first car? If not, is this the first car you've followed closely? Because every manufacturer has recalls. Ford's seat belt anchor recall on trucks made in a 14 day window is not indicative of anything.

If you think this means something, perhaps you should buy a car or truck from a manufacturer that has no history of recalls.

Go ahead and name one. I'll wait.
How ridiculous I sound? Spare me. If you like spending $30,000 on a car that will be recalled three or more times in the next three to five years, then it is you that is ridiculous. This is not my first or second or third new car. Cars in the past were built with at least a modicum of attention to detail. Never before have there been so many recalls. Let's just put a car out there with under-engineered Takata airbags and see how many are killed before we notice a problem. Just because consumers like yourself have come to accept this garbage doesn't make it normal or right or acceptable, but hey, keep rationalizing. By the way, when your car is recalled five times only to have the last recall be about engine shards left in the engine after manufacture (affecting five years of the same model Hyundai Sonata), have your car checked out, told it was fine and then have it seize up on you while doing 45 mph, you will change your tune. Had I been on I-95, it could have been deadly. I am sick of recalls. They should not be happening with such regularity. Expecting a certain standard of quality does not make my comments ridiculous.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They still influence the market for people intending to buy a vehicle. And the reliability ratings are based on unbiased statistics from actual users. Discrediting them by citing a debacle from the 80's is akin to judging Ford's quality by judging the Bronco II from that era. I also encourage you to view the facts.
Yes they influence the market and give positive reviews for certain preferred manufacturers. Unbiased? Not in this lifetime. CR gives unreliable ratings to vehicles that JD Powers awards for quality. Look at the JD Powers quality awards then look up the CR review. CR's own staff perform the reviews. JD Powers quality ratings come from customer's reports. I'll choose JD Powers over CR on anything. The above scandal is just the tip of the iceberg. Do you ever question the controversy that takes place anytime CR is discussed. The controversy is based on their past biases.
Sponsored