Chip Shortage likely to blame for missing options

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I was just thinking about a few options that the Maverick is missing, and thought it’s likely because of the Chip shortage.

AWD hybrid,
Larger Touchscreen with Sync 4,
Cooled front seats,
Ford My Key.
Advanced Ford360 on more trims.

Those are some high demand items that Ford didn’t include. I’m assuming they are trying to get as many models out now. Then once the shortage is over (2023? Models) they will add all that.

Plus manufacturers LOVE holding out options for later models so you are more likely to trade in your old model.
Sponsored

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
It feels like most of the omissions can be chalked up to trying to hit a price point. If any more was packed in it would push some builds up to 40k. I think Ford would rather sell you a ranger at that point

The touchscreen and analog dials in XLT and above are definitely due to chip shortages though

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
No, AWD hybrid isn't chip related, there are articles on this...
2022 Ford Maverick: Why There’s No AWD Hybrid Version of the Small Truck—Yet (motortrend.com)
The other options you mention - what Bunkyg above said.
oh I agree. Cut down on RnD cost to keep base prices lower. Also add in Covid closing Michigan for 18 months shortened their timeline.

but I see in a year or so, once the Chip shortage is over, when Covid is over, and when ford makes their money back and then some. You will see a lot nicer things added to the maverick.
PHEV, St, AWD Hybrid, BEV, self driving etc.

Also I think that’s why Hyundai made the Santa cruz so gimmicky. They know it won’t sell that well and only make 30k units a year. It likely won’t get any major refresh or new options during its 7-10 year life span.

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Makes me yearn for a new (old) class of truck. Bring back an F100 model. It could be based on the F150. Make it super basic - a work truck - no extensions to the cab. Limit the number of 'features' to A/C, automatic transmission and 2WD. Keep the obvious safety items - air bags, roll stability, but eliminate any touch screens, use a smallish screen for the federally mandated backup camera. Perfect as a no frills work truck. Sell as cheap as possible. Unfortunately, volume production isn't where the profit is - selling $90,000 Lariats is. I suppose the Maverick XL is as close to a 'new' F100 as we will ever get. I expect to see a large quantity of white Maverick XL's on the used market in a few years.
Sponsored