Check your Tire pressures!

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
The Ford Pass app displays each tires pressure. You can check it anytime even from your livingroom without it running.
Sponsored

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
John, RGB, Tony,
If you haven’t tried it, YOU DON’T KNOW!
I’m done…….
Your advice, is dangerous.
Ultra miler contests were won by using skinny hard solid rubber tires, for reduced rolling resistance, just like land speed vehicles also get by using solid metal ones. Reducing the contact patch has that one good point, but the main negative one is you now are on a thin blade that literally can kill as far as cornering or braking abilities. Inflation settings are designed very specifically by manufacturers with many factors based on wheel width, vehicle weight, tire size and even ABS settings to maintain as flat a contact patch as possible under most conditions. If you are wearing out just a couple of inches of adjacent treads first on your rear tires, then why not save even more money by getting thinner wheels and tires? That's what you're doing by over inflating tires. Bike tires at Walmart are cheap and can take 60 PSI! Think of the savings! Hope your insurers don't find out!

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Your advice, is dangerous.
Ultra miler contests were won by using skinny hard solid rubber tires, for reduced rolling resistance, just like land speed vehicles also get by using solid metal ones. Reducing the contact patch has that one good point, but the main negative one is you now are on a thin blade that literally can kill as far as cornering or braking abilities. Inflation settings are designed very specifically by manufacturers with many factors based on wheel width, vehicle weight, tire size and even ABS settings to maintain as flat a contact patch as possible under most conditions. If you are wearing out just a couple of inches of adjacent treads first on your rear tires, then why not save even more money by getting thinner wheels and tires? That's what you're doing by over inflating tires. Bike tires at Walmart are cheap and can take 60 PSI! Think of the savings! Hope your insurers don't find out!
I know…….I said “I’m done”. And I am.
But, for the record, I run at 40psi.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would it be possible by over inflating the tires and then rolling down the highway, heating your tires, then push that psi to the point of the tire bursting or breaking the beam on the rim causing a blowout? Is that possible? Where is Mythbusters when you need them? 🤔 😁

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would it be possible by over inflating the tires and then rolling down the highway, heating your tires, then push that psi to the point of the tire bursting or breaking the beam on the rim causing a blowout? Is that possible? Where is Mythbusters when you need them? 🤔 😁
I've heard of people deflating PS4s or SC2s a few pounds when they take them to the track and by the end of the day, they're running close to the 50 PSI max.

Of course, highway driving is not a track day so I kind of doubt it would happen.

Sponsored

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
I've heard of people deflating PS4s or SC2s a few pounds when they take them to the track and by the end of the day, they're running close to the 50 PSI max.

Of course, highway driving is not a track day so I kind of doubt it would happen.
Deflating tires from their normal pressures also causes more sidewall flexing initially, IE: more heating them up and increasing pressures. Not recommended to do initially for novice track day drivers who usually only get a few laps in a session. Not enough time to warm up, pit to check, reset pressures and then go out in the same session again. Never guess to low, a debead is as embarrassing as a bent wheel on the curbing from a very stiff tire because the session is usually lost to everyone while you're flat-bedded in. Of course your crew can always put on the rain tires!

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another word of warning to people saying they want to run them near max pressure realize pressures go up as the tire warms up. I can tell you with the Falken tires even in below freezing temps after a few miles they increase pressure 3-4psi so if it was already warm out and you were really pushing them I can imagine they will get considerably higher.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Deflating tires from their normal pressures also causes more sidewall flexing initially, IE: more heating them up and increasing pressures. Not recommended to do initially for novice track day drivers who usually only get a few laps in a session.
I think (I can't track my car because it's a convertible even though it would run circles around some of the cars I've seen at track days) that we're talking going from 32 to 30. So not a huge reduction. Just a few PSI.

I really would like to track my car a few times to see what it can really do. But if I did, it would permanently have the top down because that's the only way the roll bar would fit in there. 😏

davidalexispr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT AWD FX4 4KTow
Got my maverick over the weekend and when I figured out the TPMS system it was at 42psi!!!! Door sticker says to be at 35psi.

That also helped the hood flutter. Had to realign the hood (4bolts) as it was off.
Same! Mine were at 45, I lowered them to 35 and was thinking about going up again to maybe 40? I like the rough ride of super inflated tires.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
John, RGB, Tony,
If you haven’t tried it, YOU DON’T KNOW!
I’m done…….
There are quite a few things that I haven't tried, but I know that I shouldn't. You know, regular stuff, like juggling knives, touching bandsaw blades, licking frozen metal (OK, I did try the last one, and my tongue did indeed stick to the screen door until my mother poured her tea on it).

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go into menu settings easier to find on lariat.

The-X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got my maverick over the weekend and when I figured out the TPMS system it was at 42psi!!!! Door sticker says to be at 35psi.

That also helped the hood flutter. Had to realign the hood (4bolts) as it was off.
My dealer did this on the last car I got too. 42 on all of them. I'll have to check whenever my mav shows up. Its also i guess neat that tire pressure monitors are accurate now. My old car just kind of gave me a "theyre fine" or "this ones low" (til the batteries went out)
Sponsored