Sponsored

Can Any Owner Tell Me: Can You Crawl Under The Front End Without Jacking The Vehicle?

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Antman Can - but only with the suit - get you a suit!
Sponsored

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I donā€™t trust some low paid person to not screw something up on my vehicle personally.
I agree, the only way to do something right is to do it yourself. Personally, I would go with Full synthetic with a Napa Gold filter. Another item is to consider a fuel filter every other oil change. The 2.0L have some known issues with the low pressure fuel pump that a clean filter should help avoid.

OP
OP

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just use ramps, I have some i put some memory foam scraps under them so they donā€™t slide and you drive up, put jack stands down and boom way more space.

Why donā€™t you like ramps?
A lot of the homes in my area have gravel driveways; plus, with ramps, being that I work alone, I am always concerned about driving too far off the ramp, etc.; it's a lack of familiarity I guess.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you get a lifetime power train warranty and DIY oil change, you likely voided the warranty.
Not true, unless they can prove you screwed something up.

Sponsored

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
I will still have to get my vehicle to know for sure, but if the cover under the MAV is anything like the plastic cover under my Transit Connect, I could envision cutting an access hole thatā€™s large enough to allow getting a wrench, or even just a hand (a properly tightened filter should be hand -removable), inside to remove/replace the filter. You might be able to cut a square or rectangular section out of the side of one of the 5-gallon oil containers, leaving protruding tabs on two opposing sides of the cover piece youā€™ve cut from the can, and then just bend the door into a slight arc, enough to allow the tabs to fit up into the access hole. If you get the tab shapes and dimensions correct, the flexible cover should remain in place. To avoid having to access the drain plug also from underneath, the idea of using a pump to get the oil out of the pan from under the hood might be a good idea. This sounds like a lot of trouble, and probably is for most people, but if you are determined to DIY, once you get the process down, itā€™s very doable. Itā€™s that, or remove the entire cover each time.

Wixron

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive a lot, and I do my own oil changes. The one thing I hate about most cars, is that the low ground clearance prevents me from getting under the vehicle without the use of ramps and jackstands, and I would much rather scoot under the vehicle without having to lift it.

On paper, the Maverick's ground clearance is similar to my last gen Ranger, which the Maverick would be replacing. But the Maverick appears to have a front skirt which severely cuts clearance underneath.

Has any current owner tried getting under their stock XL/XLT model, without jacking it? Can it be done?

Thanks in advance
Check out the youtube videos on oil changes to get a better idea

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For me itā€™s not about the little savings. Itā€™s that I hate waiting. If you want to do it yourself, I would buy some ramps. Itā€™s likely a once in a lifetime purchase. Iā€™ve had mine for 20 years.
However, I advise against DIY maintenance while the power train warranty is in effect. If you get a lifetime power train warranty and DIY oil change, you likely voided the warranty.
Save the receipt and product bar codes, sign and date them. Itā€™s saved my ass a couple of times for warranty work. Heck you can also snap a few photos in todayā€™s world.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Save the receipt and product bar codes, sign and date them. Itā€™s saved my ass a couple of times for warranty work. Heck you can also snap a few photos in todayā€™s world.
In the Fordpass app, you can log your self-service records and upload photos of receipts.

Anyway, I diy-ed my first oil change a few months ago. Drove the truck up on a few 2x4s to get a bit of extra clearance. I'm a skinny guy, and it was tight, but not uncomfortable. Removing the skid plate thing is not a big deal at all - I'd never cut "access holes" in it to save the 10 minutes it takes to remove/reinstall it like some people suggest

Last edited:

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:
Sponsored

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I change the oil on 4 vehicles in my household. These ramps have been great, should have gotten them years ago.

https://www.harborfreight.com/13000-lb-gvwr-portable-vehicle-ramp-set-63956.html

My Maverick was less than a 30 minute job, including removing/reinstalling the shield. I hate going to dealers and it would have no doubt been a minimum of an hour wait.

FYI Oil & Filter $30
https://www.walmart.com/ip/17034374 $24.47
https://www.walmart.com/ip/33678518 $5.93
I second these ramps, bought them for my last vehicle.
Also usually you can get Mobile One rebates once a year, time buying your oil at the right time and you get a top tier synthetic at a great price. My last oil change was incredibly cheap.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The answer is yes you can.
Will be more difficult.
2 ramps make is very easy.

Reactions: Guv

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 Ranger, ā€˜22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for confirming that $50 oil changes still make way more sense to me than doing them myself to save $10. :LOL:
The oil and filter cost $40?

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I justify dealer oil change cost by factoring in not having to go to restaurant and having to buy pie and coffee because I can get 2-3 cookies and 2-3 cups coffee free in dealers waiting room. But covid = NO cookies.
Jolly jokerā€¦.šŸ˜‡ I love it and now will utililize your Golden cookie/coffee rule.
Excellent money management and the calories cancel out crawling under the Mav anyway āœ”
Thanks!

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
I highly doubt they are only charging $10 in labor, usually its about $25 for the labor, plus the inconvenience of being in a queue where you have to wait your turn, and hope that the person doing your oil change actually cares because most of the time it goes to the least experienced youngest techs that could give two poops about preoiling your filter, getting the level right, or torqueing anything properly.

Usually where they save costs is they use the cheapest filter and oil they can find, and you generally don't have any choices. You can't just say yeah I'd like Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 oil and a Royal Purple synthetic media filter, its whatever they buy in bulk that's cheapest.
My feelings exactly. A while back my knee was giving me a hard time and I was forced to take my F150 in for an oil change. I got home and opened the hood to double check the oil level. There was oil everywhere, not a great amount but showed signs of very shoddy workmanship. It is a very important part of vehicle maintenance to be left to the lowest paid tech in the shop.
Sponsored