Sponsored

Can Any Owner Tell Me: Can You Crawl Under The Front End Without Jacking The Vehicle?

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive a lot, and I do my own oil changes. The one thing I hate about most cars, is that the low ground clearance prevents me from getting under the vehicle without the use of ramps and jackstands, and I would much rather scoot under the vehicle without having to lift it.

On paper, the Maverick's ground clearance is similar to my last gen Ranger, which the Maverick would be replacing. But the Maverick appears to have a front skirt which severely cuts clearance underneath.

Has any current owner tried getting under their stock XL/XLT model, without jacking it? Can it be done?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
I've been asking everyone who has posted on their delivery to crawl underneath and see what access to the oil filter is like. No replies.

pgstick02

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1973 Super Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think it will present much an issue. Then again I'm a 155lb man so I have that going. If your worried about oil changes and jacking it up I recommend using a fluid extractor, best expense I ever made makes changing oil on smaller vehicles a breeze.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would counter your question with a question... would you describe yourself as "jolly" or "zaftig"? :p

AFAIK, its 8.2" of ground clearance that supposedly includes the skirt for FWD and 8.6" if AWD. Another question would be if the oil drain pan is one of those with the plug at an angle to where you can actually drive the front wheels up onto ramps and still completely drain the oil pan which would be nice, especially since it has that annoying shield to remove.

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok I just went out to check. Can you get your face and an arm under there to make a quick inspection: Yes.

Can you perform a full oil change without jacking up the truck: Probably not.

Maybe if you didn't have to take off the underpanel / skid plate, but I'll definitely have to jack it up a bit to get to all the fasteners and be able to move around under there.

Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Ok I just went out to check. Can you get your face and an arm under there to make a quick inspection: Yes.

Can you perform a full oil change without jacking up the truck: Probably not.

Maybe if you didn't have to take off the underpanel / skid plate, but I'll definitely have to jack it up a bit to get to all the fasteners and be able to move around under there.
Thanks for confirming that $50 oil changes still make way more sense to me than doing them myself to save $10. :LOL:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for confirming that $50 oil changes still make way more sense to me than doing them myself to save $10. :LOL:
I highly doubt they are only charging $10 in labor, usually its about $25 for the labor, plus the inconvenience of being in a queue where you have to wait your turn, and hope that the person doing your oil change actually cares because most of the time it goes to the least experienced youngest techs that could give two poops about preoiling your filter, getting the level right, or torqueing anything properly.

Usually where they save costs is they use the cheapest filter and oil they can find, and you generally don't have any choices. You can't just say yeah I'd like Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 oil and a Royal Purple synthetic media filter, its whatever they buy in bulk that's cheapest.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I justify dealer oil change cost by factoring in not having to go to restaurant and having to buy pie and coffee because I can get 2-3 cookies and 2-3 cups coffee free in dealers waiting room. But covid = NO cookies.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I highly doubt they are only charging $10 in labor, usually its about $25 for the labor, plus the inconvenience of being in a queue where you have to wait your turn, and hope that the person doing your oil change actually cares because most of the time it goes to the least experienced youngest techs that could give two poops about preoiling your filter, getting the level right, or torqueing anything properly.

Usually where they save costs is they use the cheapest filter and oil they can find, and you generally don't have any choices. You can't just say yeah I'd like Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 oil and a Royal Purple synthetic media filter, its whatever they buy in bulk that's cheapest.
5 qt jug of motorcraft synthetic blend at AutoZone - ~$30
Motorcraft oil filter at autozone - $9

A package at my local ford dealer that includes an oil change with the above plus rotating tires and topping off fluids - $50.

Since I'm HAPPY to pay $1 for tire rotation and fluid top off, seems like the math checks out at around $10 labor for me. 🤷‍♂️

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
5 qt jug of motorcraft synthetic blend at AutoZone - ~$30
Motorcraft oil filter at autozone - $9

A package at my local ford dealer that includes an oil change with the above plus rotating tires and topping off fluids - $50.

Since I'm HAPPY to pay $1 for tire rotation and fluid top off, seems like the math checks out at around $10 labor for me. 🤷‍♂️
Motorcraft oil: $10.00
Motorcraft oil filter: $3.97

$50 - $14 = $36 labor.

If you believe they are touching your other fluids, I have some ocean front property in Kansas that you may be interested in. Generally speaking you don't rotate tires without also having them balanced, which you can have any tire shop do but is a one time purchase for the life of the tires (but really the vehicle if you stick with the same tires).

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oil changes are easy. I will be making an access panel after I get mine

Last edited:

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I cant fit under my Maverick, I'll need to use my ramps to change the oil. More annoyed that the whole skid plate needs to be removed every time.

Txjay

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ
I cant fit under my Maverick, I'll need to use my ramps to change the oil. More annoyed that the whole skid plate needs to be removed every time.
It's not that big of a deal just use a cordless nut driver to remove shield. The oil drain is toward the rear of the vehicle so when it is on ramps the oil flows toward the drain and should drain better.
This is based on my 2018 escape 2.0 and 2020 lincoln Nautilus 2.0.
For me it works out to need changing about twice a year.

Radar

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, F150
For me it’s not about the little savings. It’s that I hate waiting. If you want to do it yourself, I would buy some ramps. It’s likely a once in a lifetime purchase. I’ve had mine for 20 years.
However, I advise against DIY maintenance while the power train warranty is in effect. If you get a lifetime power train warranty and DIY oil change, you likely voided the warranty.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
It's not that big of a deal just use a cordless nut driver to remove shield. The oil drain is toward the rear of the vehicle so when it is on ramps the oil flows toward the drain and should drain better.
This is based on my 2018 escape 2.0 and 2020 lincoln Nautilus 2.0.
For me it works out to need changing about twice a year.
I mean I guess it isn't a huge deal, but it's still more annoying than any other vehicle I've changed the oil on. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.
Sponsored