First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oil separators are done! The way the factory system sucks unfiltered oil/vapors directly from the valve cover and into the intake tract. This is HORRIBLE. I expected a PCV in line, there is nothing. So the key is to simply keep this oil out of the intake and even more importantly the intercooler. This can does that.

The pictured can is in raw aluminum, the production models will all be powder coated in wrinkle black. We will start welding those cans up tomorrow, we should be able to ship product next week, no issue.

We are able to do these for $279!
Ford Maverick Buschur's Maverick 2.0 oil separators DONE! IMG_0334
Ford Maverick Buschur's Maverick 2.0 oil separators DONE! IMG_0335

Q&A:

Can you tell us less knowledgeable more about the difference between sealed and unvented?
Sure. I'll try to explain the system. I'll try to type this out to make it make sense.

The crankshaft is spinning in the engine splashing oil around, same goes for the camshafts. The combustion process causes a lot of cylinder pressure, some of that sneaks past the rings and into the block. The cylinder heads have holes that drain the oil back to the oil pan, those same holes allow that combustion gas that ends up in the crank case to make it into the cylinder head area. So you end up with all these spent combustion gasses and oil inside your engine. The valve cover has a vent on it that, in this case, goes directly to the air intake tube. That tube is always under vacuum sucking those vapors and oil out of the valve cover and into the intake. Those gases and oil is then sucked into the turbo, compressed and travels through the intercooler pipes, intercooler and then back into the intake manifold, cylinder head/valves re-burnt and the processes goes on and on.

Over time, and in many cases not a lot of time, that oil/vapor builds up on the valves/pistons and combustion chamber. It also lowers octane values and the worst part is the oil coats the inside of the intercooler and keeps building up inside of it. We have dumped a solid 1/2 quart of oil out of intercoolers in the past.

The oil separator is put into this system and catches that oil and separates it by a filtering media that is in the can. You occasionally drain it and it keeps the largest majority of the oil in the can, that is the closed system you see here.

A vented can has a filter on the top of it and is not recirculated (I should say should not be). The valve cover vent goes to the can, the crankcase vents directly to the can and catches 100% of the oil and vapors and the intake tract where it use to re-circulate to is eliminated.

The system on the Maverick is good for performance but horrible for contaminating the intake tract. The performance side is good because it directly vents the crankcase pressure but it does so with no way to filter out the contaminates. So what you gain in a drop in crankcase pressure will soon be cancelled by an intercooler full of oil. Even a thin film of oil inside an intercooler drastically drops its efficiency.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Awesome!!! Looking forward to them becoming available. 😊

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

MaverickTime

Banned
Banned
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Ranger
Will this be an excuse for Ford to deny any engine warranty issues due to being a non factory modification?

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will this be an excuse for Ford to deny any engine warranty issues due to being a non factory modification?
It could be. Just like a cat back exhaust, a cold air intake, rims…

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
What am I looking at? Does the oil stay in the coffee cup?

Last edited:

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Needs a "Racing" engravement/sticker :)

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No idea, guess it depends what kind of prick you have for a dealer. Mine wants to sell out parts!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does a sealed separator can work better than a vented one on boosted applications?
I prefer vented, however, with the emission issues many have and the way this factory system is designed this is the “best of both worlds”. You can expect to see a vented can come from us, I ordered parts today for some of the prototype pieces we will need to have CNC’d.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What am I looking at? Does the oil stand in the coffee cup?
it’s an oil separator. The oil and oil contaminated air from the crankcase get sucked into the intake tract and contaminate the intake charge along with filling the intercooler with oil and completely ruining its efficiency. This traps the oil in the can, it can then be drained and discarded.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I prefer vented, however, with the emission issues many have and the way this factory system is designed this is the “best of both worlds”. You can expect to see a vented can come from us, I ordered parts today for some of the prototype pieces we will need to have CNC’d.
It doesn’t look like this can will be able to be upgradable to a vented one, correct?

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was hoping I wouldn't be the first to ask but here goes. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT...I know you said a wrinkle black finish will go on the final production product but is that the "fit" to expect from the final product? It looks a little R&D'ish and not real "polished".

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As been counters go yes but it actually should increase the longevity of the motor and turbo components. Its an emissions addition that Ford didn't even bother to put a PVC valve in to make sure only vapor gets in there. But an excellent mod for sure.
As positive crankcase ventilation boosts efficiency while reducing emissions
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.