Sponsored

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I'm not sure how we got a bunch of clueless responses after this has been answered.

In conclusion, yes! This is intentional and fine.
Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Pickup beds aren't air- or water-tight. But to me, it does seem odd that they opted not to put seam sealer there. The bed should have plenty of drainage already because of the holes in the bed pan at the front wall (closest to the cab).

If it were me and I got no support from Ford, I'd just put a thin bead of general purpose silicone adhesive such as Permatex 80855. Strong enough to keep the dust and water out, but easy enough to remove should the bed pan have to be replaced.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was unloading my gold clubs from the back of my Maverick and noticed light coming through from the underside of bed between bed and floor of bed. This can not be a good thing as it looks like the bedside and floor are not connected. The other side looks fine. I am heading to the dealer to see what they have to say. I am very unhappy about this because I love the truck and now I have concerns

20211115_134357.jpg

20211115_134426.jpg

20211115_134522.jpg

20211115_134532.jpg

20211115_134630.jpg

20211115_134640.jpg
Normal.

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking it's their to help drain the seam and the spray liner filled it in a bit. If anything it should probably be a little larger.

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It looks like the spot welds didn't knit the two panels together in a small area when the robots assembled the body. It does not appear to structurally weaken the bed and attempts to reweld the area would destroy any corrosion resistance/zinc primer that was applied at the factory. Report this with documentation and pictures to Ford and your Ford dealer in case there is a recall in the future. I would not do anything to seal up the area immediately unless a lot of water and dirt is being flung into the bed interior, wait for instructions or advice from the Ford factory rep. This is just what I would do, thanks for listening to my opinion.

Sponsored

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are all that way, for drainage
My dealer has one on the lot and is only 1 mile away, I'll try to look tomorrow and see it it is the same. I didn't notice it when I looked at the truck before. You are probably right, you have seen many more Mavericks than I have. Thanks

PostaL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GMC Terrain
I would be worried about the edges not being protected by paint or bed lined and bare metal being exposed. Fords way of making sure the bed rust out so you have to buy another vehicle

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I'm not sure how we got a bunch of clueless responses after this has been answered.

In conclusion, yes! This is intentional and fine.
It continues! End the madness!

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Bodageta

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Chevrolet K1500, 1989 Corvette Conv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You need to make sure no spotwelds were missed. I am a former reliability engineer with similar industry experience. It’s more common than you would think for an early production vehicle and maybe even later miss spotwelds. Usually in the things I’ve been involved with there were enough welds that the missing welds had negligible effects on structural rigidity which would have never been noticed by the customer. If your whole seam is designed to have periodic spot welds and they are missing or missed their mark then that’s a big deal. If not missing welds likely no big deal. Just cosmetic. I wouldn’t take a dealers word for it. I would make them show me and prove that the left and right sides are equivalently joined.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This should help:

at 3:27 min in the video where Ford is building a Maverick you will see the gap in the 2 panels -
it appears they don't fill that with calk. Don't know why but it seems normal production design element.

Ford Maverick Bed floor separation / gap from side of bed - normal or issue? Ford Production video - gap.PNG