2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Noteworthy issues after a week of ownership:
  • Well noted on this forum, but DO NOT use the Remote Start feature if you have a Hybrid. Ford needs to fix this as I foresee major issues. Cat convertor glows red hot and all sorts of nasty odors. I hope no long term affects from this issue. Salesman said it was some sort of factory coating burning off. Clearly not.
  • Ford needs to identify which Mavericks have the fuel tank issue. I'm told it's just the Mavericks that came with the spray-in bed liner, but nothing definitive.
  • Needs larger rear wheel wells as brake lines and other components will be exposed to the elements and will cause premature failures.
  • Protrusion under the bed trim on the driver's side as if a bolt wasn't fastened fully underneath (curious if this is just an issue with mine?)
  • Ripples and creases on the doors where the door handles are. I assume this is a part of the stamping process and not necessarily a "flaw"?
  • Regen braking system does not give much user input as to when it's being applied vs. hydraulic brakes. There is no means to adjust the level of "regeness".
  • Atkinson cycle engine runs rough when first engages and under acceleration is rather loud as if exhaust noise is artificially created under the vehicle. Perhaps there is?
  • Base Lariat wheels are next to impossible to clean, lots of nooks and crannies.
  • Tires are too small with tread meant for car or small SUV. I get the purpose (ride quality and low rolling resistance), but not the best look for a truck and inspires no enthusiasm for any thoughts of off-road grandeur.
  • It seems that the cubby next to the Infotainment was an after thought and they shrunk the screen at the end of the design process. Maybe a new and larger screen awaits us?
  • Drive modes reset back to "normal" at start up. More of an annoyance than an issue.
  • Needs a front-end leveling kit
  • Rear view mirror is basically worthless.
  • Back up camera is blurry.
  • Automatic bright headlights are an annoyance and need to be overridden basically every time.
  • Unfortunately doesn't have heated seats or mirrors, maybe these features can be ordered a la carte in future model years.
  • The FX4 package should be made available with the Hybrid in future model years.
  • Lack of fog lights
  • Needs all new speakers (and I doubt the B & O is much better). Most factory radios suffer from poor speakers , but these are especially poor.
Welcome surprises:
  • The faux leather seats are very nice and are likely to last a long time. I was wanting the XLT for those cool tweed retro seats, but glad I sprung for the Lariat.
  • Bronze accents on doors and dash are very classy.
  • Overall interior layout is great with great use of space.
  • The ambient lighting and auto lighting when near the vehicle work well and a welcome addition to the Lariat package.
  • Perfect load height for bed.
  • Great bed light. Super bright and handy.
  • Aluminum roll-up Tonneau cover is very sturdy. You can put heavy objects on top when loading/unloading and I feel like this will hold up in the long term. Does a good job keeping dirt and water out.
  • Ride quality is "truck like" in a good way. Feels sturdy and secure. Perhaps I got one of the good ones as I have read about rattling issues and suspension failures.
  • Oxford white goes very well with the black trim (I was expecting a fleet-type look, but very pleasantly surprised, although I have to wonder what Hot Pepper Red or Area 51 look like on the Lariat.
  • Blissfully simple as ordered without the co-pilot 360.
  • Easy to park and maneuver when compared to other trucks.
  • Center gauge screen is fantastic and dare I say beautiful?
  • Seating height is great, gives a truck-like feel when driving. Love it!
  • Headlights are phenomenal.
  • Easy to get in and out and no need for running boards.
  • No water leaks so far!
Overall Ford is 90% there making this truck a great one. Maybe some of these minor gripes will be addressed in future model years. I hope they are vigilantly reading these forums. :)
I am awaiting a Lariat hybrid so I'll ask someone who has one.... I have read that the truck makes noises through external speakers when it is using only the electric motor to move (like when backing up or driving slowly forward). Does yours do that, and if so, can you turn the noises off?

Thanks for the review!
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am awaiting a Lariat hybrid so I'll ask someone who has one.... I have read that the truck makes noises through external speakers when it is using only the electric motor to move (like when backing up or driving slowly forward). Does yours do that, and if so, can you turn the noises off?

Thanks for the review!
Unless you plan on sneaking up on people to commit illegal acts, do not do this. The noise is to alert others that you are approaching, replacing the engine noise as a cue to people who may not see you for any reason.

Dangro

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
  • Ford needs to identify which Mavericks have the fuel tank issue. I'm told it's just the Mavericks that came with the spray-in bed liner, but nothing definitive.
Ford has very clearly identified the Mavericks with POSSIBLE fuel tank issues. They were built from May 20, 2021 through October 29, 2021 with factory bed liner. If you do not have a factory bed liner or a build date in that range you are good.

Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed January 28, 2022.

• Automatic bright headlights are an annoyance and need to be overridden basically every time.
If you go to page 97 in your manual you will find the information on Automatic High Beams. That feature can be disabled.

SWITCHING AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL ON AND OFF
1. Using the instrument cluster controls on the steering wheel, select Settings.
2. Select Vehicle.
3. Select Lighting.
4. Switch Auto High Beam on or off.

You can also go to

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks Boe

Are the warnings of "not parking over leaves and grass" in a statement in print somewhere?

Out of all the issues with the Mav this is the most concerning to me to date.
Page 181, owners manual; do not park, idle or drive***dry grass, dry ground cover *** heats up creating a risk****
usual warning
All of the vehicles i have purchased have this warning, its not unusual or rare.

OP
OP
ehspeakers

ehspeakers

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for the review!
Yep. Makes soft beeping noises when backing up. Like a muzzled R2D2. Not annoying and I rather appreciate it. Don't think it can be turned off. Nothing too obtrusive when driving just is a sudden change in sound when you go from Electric to gas mode, like starting a dryer?What color and features are you getting?

Last edited:

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for the review!
Reverse noise yes, is there, but it’s a low slow hummy boooop booop sound, maybe slightly percussive, not a shrill beep beep like a semi. I can hear it in the cab but it’s no problem to me, you cannot turn it off — federal safety regulations for electric modes at low speeds, I believe.

Low speed forward driving — if there is a sound I can’t hear it from inside, or it blends very well like a fatty tire sounds, maybe somewhat naturalish electric woosh or something. That probably didn’t make sense. Anyway, reverse sound is very obvious on the other hand.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep. Makes soft beeping noises when backing up. Like a muzzled R2D2. Not annoying and I rather appreciate it. Don't think it can be turned off. Nothing too obtrusive when driving just is a sudden change in sound when you go from Electric to gas mode, like starting a dryer?What color and features are you getting?
Cactus Gray, Lariat hybrid, 18" wheels, Lariat luxury package, Co-Pilot 360, tri-fold tonneau cover, spray-in bedliner, splash guards. Our present 2012 F150 Lariat is named Whiskey, so we thought Tanglefoot would be a good name for the Maverick.
My parts pile includes, LED backup bulbs, front switchback LED marker/turn signal bulbs, LED tailgate light bar, a box of sound dampening material, tailgate dampener, hybrid engine cover, black chrome tailgate lettering, small wastebasket and ...... well, it keeps growing.

OP
OP
ehspeakers

ehspeakers

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cactus Gray, Lariat hybrid, 18" wheels, Lariat luxury package, Co-Pilot 360, tri-fold tonneau cover, spray-in bedliner, splash guards. Our present 2012 F150 Lariat is named Whiskey, so we thought Tanglefoot would be a good name for the Maverick.
My parts pile includes, LED backup bulbs, front switchback LED marker/turn signal bulbs, LED tailgate light bar, a box of sound dampening material, tailgate dampener, hybrid engine cover, black chrome tailgate lettering, small wastebasket and ...... well, it keeps growing.
Can't wait to see it !

SilverSunDog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, 1998 Buick LeSabre
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No one has addressed the elephant in the room "Cat convertor glows red hot"

Can someone with some real insight reflect on this statement? Will I be starting brush fires with this truck?
I think that FOTOMOTO addressed the issue very well in post #32 of this thread. As a 'retired' ASE certified mechanic that specialized in engine performance, tune and troubleshooting, he is spot on.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@ehspeakers , I know this is an older post, but can you elaborate further on what you're talking about here?

Welcome surprises:
  • The ambient lighting and auto lighting when near the vehicle work well and a welcome addition to the Lariat package.
This sounds a lot like approach lighting, but I don't have that on my lariat lux...
Sponsored