Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just installed the Bakflip MX4 on my new Maverick.
The instructions suggest the cover's rubber seal should rest 1/4 inch on the tailgate. Mine is at most 1/8 inch.
ie. there are 3 rubber fins, the first and second should rest on the tailgate. Right now only the first fin does.
I'm concerned that it't not overhanging enough.

But I'm also concerned that nudging the cover up another 1/4 inch will shortchange how the cover sits on the seal by the cab at the other end.

Has anyone figured out the right protocol here to get the cover to have proper coverage at both ends?
Or how to shimmy the whole cover down a 1/4 inch?

Any experienced advice would be appreciated.
(side note: using a bedrug liner)
Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your interpretation of the instructions are different than what I read. Mine specify a 1/4" clearance between the cover frame and the tailgate. No where do I see how many "fins" should be in contact.

HRG

Ford Maverick BakFlip MX4 Tonneau install Mx4 install.JPG

OP
OP
earlyhike

earlyhike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Your interpretation of the instructions are different than what I read. Mine specify a 1/4" clearance between the cover frame and the tailgate. No where do I see how many "fins" should be in contact.
You are right that the 1/4 inch reference is related to the clearance between cover and tailgate. So I misunderstood that.

But the fins I speak of are in the Maverick-specific instructions below.

The Maverick specific install manual is here: https://static.thiecommerce.com/ass...on-guide/dfcb7efdf10c142af07fc7f1a33a5ccd.pdf

This is the section dealing with the fins:

Ford Maverick BakFlip MX4 Tonneau install Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 4.18.35 PM

So the question is really how much of these fins need to sit on the tailgate to be properly sealed. Right now only the first fin sits on the gate. Am I overthinking this?

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks! My install guide is dated 1.8.2020, your link is dated 12.10.2021. I'll be the first to admit, I don't subscribe to the theory that the cover should be waterproof, too many seams and edges to try and seal. I'd leave it as you have it, you can always adjust the placement down the rod.

HRG
Sponsored