Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really need to get me a set of traction boards…..that and learning to stop trying to get out without them before digging myself in too deep.
My first time with traction boards- I got the smaller set, these help but not that much- Going to replace with the longer option.
Sponsored

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And the reason you went there was to test the truck or refresh your skill set?
Sometimes it is best not to make the plunge. But at least you now know there may be limitations to the truck so you can recalibrate your go/ no go gauge.

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And the reason you went there was to test the truck or refresh your skill set?
Sometimes it is best not to make the plunge. But at least you now know there may be limitations to the truck so you can recalibrate your go/ no go gauge.
No skill set retest needed - The trek was required to see what the Maverick could/could not do compared to previous vehicles and off-road locations - Benchmark - Next up mixed off-road conditions minus wet /deep snow + red clay which is hard for any vehicle - Hoping for good things out @ Goblin Valley / Swell after that is sand with support vehicle -)

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the sand trip can you use the power outlet in the bed to power a compressor to reinflate your tires? I have seen the compressor option on here someplace IIRC.

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the sand trip can you use the power outlet in the bed to power a compressor to reinflate your tires? I have seen the compressor option on here someplace IIRC.
Yeah but it's too low in wattage for a real air inflator - Will connect @ battery terminal -

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So tested out the reverse function this morning in slippery snow in reverse up a slight incline and I can feel the rear wheels spinning (easily) and it shows the rears/fronts both working but the question I am now asking myself again is that do the Toyo AT3's just suck for snow/traction while in reverse ? Had a similar problem with these same tires years ago on my Honda Element- Thought it was just a weird one off occurrence but after replacing with a set of Cooper Discovery's the issue went away- I may need to change out these Yoyos- Ugh

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That looks like awesome good fun! Unfortunately our Tremor wont be likely to see any snow since i live in Hawaii now. But when I lived in Ohio I loved winter offroading. I know people talk about all terrains and their siping and snow ratings and stuff but I always wheeled my old CJs on used low tread super swampers. I honestly rarely got stuck in the winter unless I was ice breaking in a river or something. I know when our stock Falkens wear out I plan on putting on 245/70 Maxxis Bighorn MTs. They are one of the few mud tires that fit our trucks. I really cant see doing any good offroading on anything less than wide void mud terrains. They have always worked for me in every situation on any vehicle. TSLs are the best but others will do.

But that seriously looks like a great time. Figuring out how to recover yourself is very invigorating. Who needs heroes to look up to in the world when you can save yourself.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So tested out the reverse function this morning in slippery snow in reverse up a slight incline and I can feel the rear wheels spinning (easily) and it shows the rears/fronts both working but the question I am now asking myself again is that do the Toyo AT3's just suck for snow/traction while in reverse ? Had a similar problem with these same tires years ago on my Honda Element- Thought it was just a weird one off occurrence but after replacing with a set of Cooper Discovery's the issue went away- I may need to change out these Yoyos- Ugh
The difference in snow and ice traction between a 3 peak rated tire and an actual dedicated winter tire is like the difference in off road ability between a Maverick Tremor and a Bronco Raptor. All terrain all seasons or even all weathers are just too hard in cold weather and the open country at3 doesn't exactly have amazing siping even compared to some other all terrain tires. That being said the Open country is still a pretty good tire....

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You do realize that Toyo AT3 tires are not ‘directional’, right?

They are symmetrical, the tire has no forward or reverse.

Last edited:

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've had zero issues with my Toyos. 10/10 would recommend. Sand mode helps with getting unstuck (most times).

Ford Maverick AWD in reverse- PXL_20221119_201633434~2

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You do realize that Toyo AT3 tires are not ‘directional’, right?

They are symmetrical, the tire has no forward or reverse.

Good point - Still perplexed why it's so easy to get these tires to just spin in reverse but maybe it's the old fact of trucks not having much weight in the rear - Will remember my sand bags for the next adventure I guess.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, this concept (AWD in reverse) was bugging me too, so I tested at my cabin yesterday....no snow, but it's a 12 degree up hill grade on gravel. Went up forward & again in reverse, no change on the intelligent AWD screen.....pretty much 50/50 both directions. No issues either, going either direction.

So I think it comes down to tires, surface condition, and weight transfer. The AWD system seems to be doing it's job just fine, no matter which direction you're traveling.

I feel better now.... 🤠

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, this concept (AWD in reverse) was bugging me too, so I tested at my cabin yesterday....no snow, but it's a 12 degree up hill grade on gravel. Went up forward & again in reverse, no change on the intelligent AWD screen.....pretty much 50/50 both directions. No issues either, going either direction.

So I think it comes down to tires, surface condition, and weight transfer. The AWD system seems to be doing it's job just fine, no matter which direction you're traveling.

I feel better now.... 🤠
I hear ya- After a rough day out in heavy deep snow I was having flashbacks to my Honda Element which was/is still such an awesome rig, got it all over the western US - Down ATV trails, crazy stuff for something with a pretty basic part time AWD system that did not function in reverse unless you had tons of front wheel slippage and by that time the fronts would just dig deeper holes and the maverick seemed to do the same thing.

We back out of our garage onto a sloped broken asphalt alley path so its a good test of in-reverse traction tests. With just a couple inches of slick snow the AT3's would just spin trying to coast back over a berm about 3 inches tall- traction light coming on instantly- Its weird but I guess I will chalk it up to slick snow/lack of weight in the back of the truck and tires that seem to hate reverse but are otherwise good- The AWD does work in reverse which gives me some piece of mind after further analysis.

Life isn't fun until you are stuck, trying to self rescue and actually break one of your recovery boards- That's adventure !

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hear ya- After a rough day out in heavy deep snow I was having flashbacks to my Honda Element which was/is still such an awesome rig, got it all over the western US - Down ATV trails, crazy stuff for something with a pretty basic part time AWD system that did not function in reverse unless you had tons of front wheel slippage and by that time the fronts would just dig deeper holes and the maverick seemed to do the same thing.

We back out of our garage onto a sloped broken asphalt alley path so its a good test of in-reverse traction tests. With just a couple inches of slick snow the AT3's would just spin trying to coast back over a berm about 3 inches tall- traction light coming on instantly- Its weird but I guess I will chalk it up to slick snow/lack of weight in the back of the truck and tires that seem to hate reverse but are otherwise good- The AWD does work in reverse which gives me some piece of mind after further analysis.

Life isn't fun until you are stuck, trying to self rescue and actually break one of your recovery boards- That's adventure !
For sure, there are SO many variables, especially regarding snow & tire applications. A wet, slushy snow is a whole different animal vs. dry powdery snow. And some AT tires suck worse in snow than others, and tire wear also plays a big factor.

So far, been fairly impressed with the all around performance of the Falkens on my Mav., and how the AWD system works.

Reactions: bgn
OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For sure, there are SO many variables, especially regarding snow & tire applications. A wet, slushy snow is a whole different animal vs. dry powdery snow. And some AT tires suck worse in snow than others, and tire wear also plays a big factor.

So far, been fairly impressed with the all around performance of the Falkens on my Mav., and how the AWD system works.
I wish my full throttle demon speed escape thru the snowmobile type Planet Hoth snow could have been captured on video. If the Mav didn't make it - Only option was a $850 tow out or bribing a friend to come to the middle of nowhere as the sun was setting. However we got it done and no damage to the undercarriage from what I can see. Longer more legit recovery boards all ready on order -)
Sponsored