2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pathfinder, CRV, Ninja ZX6R
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey guys, tried searching but didn’t see anything sorry if it’s been mentioned elsewhere.

I have a 23 CG Lariat Hybrid.

Went out to the truck this morning started everything normal routine got the gps set up and put truck in reverse, the engine kicked on and started revving high. Scared the hell out of me so I threw it in park quickly. Froze for a second then put in reverse again and everything is normal. Super weird never happened before have 5k on it in last 6 months.

Anyone have this happen? Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP

SteelCity87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No fairly mild around 50 when I left. It’s hit much cooler temps here already this year.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Reverse is electric-only. So normally, the ICE shouldn't come on, unless the battery was low or you had the A/C or heat turned on.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Reverse is electric-only. So normally, the ICE shouldn't come on, unless the battery was low or you had the A/C or heat turned on.
Or if the ICE isn't up to operating temperature, which is highly possible on a cold start.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Mostly this, I'd have to agree:

Really not usually because of this ⬇
Or if the ICE isn't up to operating temperature, which is highly possible on a cold start.
If battery was lower than 30% AND the engine was cold AND you pressed the pedal hard while in reverse, yes the engine will rev higher than normal. If the battery could not provide the power for reverse the generator would have to. But I think you'd have to be into the go pedal pretty hard to rev the engine.

Were you going UPHILL in reverse?

Uphill in reverse with a trailer attached is "probably" the reason why the Hybrid is rated at 2000 lbs towing. It can pull 4k forward just fine. Reverse is rather limited. The gas engine can't apply any torque in reverse.

OP
OP

SteelCity87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I did have the heat on, and my driveway is pretty flat so doesn’t take much to get it to move.
That’s a good call though maybe the battery needed charged so the engine kicked on and revved up to charge quickly.
Sponsored