Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What were you not? Did you watch he same video the rest of us did?

The FX4 package should have included the rear clutch packs the upgraded bronco sport has. There is NO excuse for it not to have this included.
You can play the "should have" game all you want, it doesn't change what it *IS*.

It's certainly not a mystery what type of AWD system the Maverick has, so again, why everyone is so shocked by it's poor off-road performance with anything other than a semi-smooth dirt/gravel road is a bit comical.
Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can play the "should have" game all you want, it doesn't change what it *IS*.

It's certainly not a mystery what type of AWD system the Maverick has, so again, why everyone is so shocked by it's poor off-road performance with anything other than a semi-smooth dirt/gravel road is a bit comical.
Nobody is arguing this should be a rock crawler or true "off road" machine, but any vehicle purchased with this package and large decal affixed to the side should be able to go up a dirt road with some minor obstacles like small rocks or wood. Its performance was pathetic and I'm sure it stunned quite a few people here. An FX4 should also NEVER have been equipped with those all-season street tires. The sticker below implies general OFF-ROAD prowess. The video demonstrated it has none on a pretty simple dirt road incline.

Ford Maverick AWD and FX4 2022-ford-maverick-flexbed-20

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nobody is arguing this should be a rock crawler or true "off road" machine, but any vehicle purchased with this package and large decal affixed to the side should be able to go up a dirt road with some minor obstacles like small rocks or wood. Its performance was pathetic and I'm sure it stunned quite a few people here. An FX4 should also NEVER have been equipped with those all-season street tires. The sticker below implies general OFF-ROAD prowess. The video demonstrated it has none on a pretty simple dirt road incline.

Ford Maverick AWD and FX4 2022-ford-maverick-flexbed-20
lol... Well, all I can tell you is, pay less attention to the decal, and more to the hardware. 🤠

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The tires on his Maverick were basically an all season tread pattern and I’m actually surprised it performed as well as it did through the last course. The system is capable, but the tires weren’t. Same situation as those who say you don’t need AWD in the snow, just the appropriate tires for the job. It amazes still how much bitching and complaining the Maverick endures on a website for “fans”.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
lol... Well, all I can tell you is, pay less attention to the decal, and more to the hardware. 🤠
Yup....I didn't buy it for the decal, It was the best "bang for the buck" in what it brought to my XLT Lux (no 4k). I think it is kind of funny. It'll still do what I want it to do though. I won't remove the sticker....but I may modify it a bit. 🙄
Ford Maverick AWD and FX4 FX4 Soft Road

Sponsored

TMFord

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wasn't shocked at all that it didn't do great on a sports car tire. No sidewall, no tread, wow how could not thrive on an off road situation ?

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Just to be sure I attached page 189 from the owners manuel, just to clarify my question.
Thanks for all y'all replies!
Screenshot_20211012-101127_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
I'm with you Nandark, the way Ford's worded it almost seems to say "yeah plain AWD is kinda/sorta ok but with FX4 you get REAL AWD". That's not true but it read strange to me.

For grins I looked at the 2021 Escape owners manual (Escape comes with AWD as an option too) to see what they said. Certainly no FX4-like option available on the Escape. The AWD part for the Escape says basically the same thing as the Maverick, but ordered differently such that it makes much more sense reading it:
Ford Maverick AWD and FX4 awd escape.JPG

In the Maverick, the FX4 option gives you Mud/Ruts and Sand drive modes. But for going up your steep gravel road I'd think you should be fine - of course I don't know how steep or how loose the gravel is. Slippery mode (pg. 227 in OM) could help in your situation. That, and good tires.

OP
OP
Nandark

Nandark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Thunderbird, 2018 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm with you Nandark, the way Ford's worded it almost seems to say "yeah plain AWD is kinda/sorta ok but with FX4 you get REAL AWD". That's not true but it read strange to me.

For grins I looked at the 2021 Escape owners manual (Escape comes with AWD as an option too) to see what they said. Certainly no FX4-like option available on the Escape. The AWD part for the Escape says basically the same thing as the Maverick, but ordered differently such that it makes much more sense reading it:
awd escape.JPG

In the Maverick, the FX4 option gives you Mud/Ruts and Sand drive modes. But for going up your steep gravel road I'd think you should be fine - of course I don't know how steep or how loose the gravel is. Slippery mode (pg. 227 in OM) could help in your situation. That, and good tires.
Thanks for that info Probity! It's still a little vague though, Ford should reword their Maverick AWD explanation. With their wording its like they want us to get the FX4 package if we're planning on driving on dirt roads.

MarkG

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
With everything that is included in the FX4 package $800 is a bargain. The truck absolutely would perform better with more aggressive tires. If that's what you are looking for then your first stop after delivery should be your local tire shop.

I personally am glad Ford kept the price of the package down by not going with a more expensive tire.

I will probably run the stock tires for the life of the tread and my next set will be determined by my needs based on how I am using the truck.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The FX4 gets you tow hooks and a better radiator along with black wheels and a metal skid plate that needs to be removed just to do an oil change. The FX4 package is a good buy if you are NOT getting the 4K tow pack IMHO.
Yeah, although just to add I'd probably just go with the 4K tow package because you get a lot more that way and skip the FX4 unless you really want the black wheels and tow hooks.
With everything that is included in the FX4 package $800 is a bargain.
The best non-appearance parts are redundant with the 4K tow package though, and you get no discount getting both, so that's why I'd get 4K tow and skip the FX4, and you can always put more aggressive tires on the 4K package.

Sponsored

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
I can't believe you people are still bickering about what the FX4 is and isnt, for $800 it is basically a GIFT, Mr Boom was mentioning that to get tow hooks on a non FX4 would be more than $500 , now add the value of skid plates, black wheels and that package is basically free.

I bet all these off road warriors are the kind that go off road on youtube and never in real life and have been watching all these videos of people doing extreme offroad and now assume that is the standard which it's not, most people won't ever do more than a dirt road once in a while, anyone who in real life has done "extreme offroad" would never even consider the maverick for that, there are wranglers, side by side and plenty of other trucks for that.

As to continue with the civic analogy, you don't buy a Civic and take it to a race track and expect it to perform like a Porsche?

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't believe you people are still bickering about what the FX4 is and isnt, for $800 it is basically a GIFT, Mr Boom was mentioning that to get tow hooks on a non FX4 would be more than $500 , now add the value of skid plates, black wheels and that package is basically free.

I bet all these off road warriors are the kind that go off road on youtube and never in real life and have been watching all these videos of people doing extreme offroad and now assume that is the standard which it's not, most people won't ever do more than a dirt road once in a while, anyone who in real life has done "extreme offroad" would never even consider the maverick for that, there are wranglers, side by side and plenty of other trucks for that.

As to continue with the civic analogy, you don't buy a Civic and take it to a race track and expect it to perform like a Porsche?
You make some good points. I happen to love the black wheels, tow hooks, drive modes and skid plates. I think it's well worth the $800. I also expect this to be a pretty rare configuration for the Maverick.

Side note, one of the guys I work with just took delivery of a brand new Dodge Ram. Which took massive damage after a bouncing betty of a rock hit him just right underneath. Pickup has less than 1k miles on it. I've never heard of anything like that, and I have had a ton of weird stuff happen to me over the years, but i'm not 'unhappy' to have the skid plates, lol.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Side note, one of the guys I work with just took delivery of a brand new Dodge Ram. Which took massive damage after a bouncing betty of a rock hit him just right underneath. Pickup has less than 1k miles on it. I've never heard of anything like that, and I have had a ton of weird stuff happen to me over the years, but i'm not 'unhappy' to have the skid plates, lol.
Regular Mavericks still have a plate under there, its just plastic instead of metal. For a bouncing rock even the plastic would probably deflect it a bit. The plastic just wouldn't work for actually impacting hard terrain, but as was shown if you're doing that you're probably scraping other plastic. Maverick is best suited for campsite trails and the like, not really a Wrangler.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am glad folks were shocked. Traction control is a miserable way to vector power to the wheel not spinning. My Subaru is a little better than this but not much. This vehicle will never be a rock crawler. I'm sticking with 2WD and A/T tires. Maybe a hitch mounted winch. I tend to stop and walk when the going gets tough.

The AWD system is, however, always on and sensitive to wheel spin and therefor could be great for slippery roads. Watch the videos of Subaru symmetrical all wheel drive system vs. the competition. Subaru has the best AWD system out there.

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB

Everyone seems to be forgetting that it adds the 6.5" cluster screen to an XLT, that alone should be an $800 option! Then they give you different wheels, tires, tow hooks, metal skid plates, larger radiator and cooling fan?! I don't care if I never go off-road, the FX4 package is still worth it.

You hit the nail on the head with all these "off-road warriors"... If you were truely an off-road enthusiast you would know enough about body-on-frame vs unibody construction to have selected a Bronco or Ranger. Sorry not sorry.
Sponsored