pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
after the slow start producing/delivering in-house made eCVT, they were still building hybrids to order the whole time though and parking them waiting for 1st EPA numbers and then OKTB. I have seen NOTHING reputable to date showing a mix anywhere near 60 or 70% hybrids in the pipeline from order to production to built to shipped to delivered to end customer.
yeah that's why I said 'orders' and not 'deliveries'. Everyone knows that it's the hybrid that has the most demand, you could have ordered an Ecoboost in October and gotten a production date of November, you order a hybrid in October and you'll wait til late spring. Ford estimated that it'd be a 40/60 hybrid to eco proportion and were stunned at what the actual numbers are. The 40mpg rating along with rising gas prices made it jump in addition to the trend to be greener.
Sponsored

track me

First Name
Soon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, / CRV
Not to mention efficiency. Most trucks are big, heavy, powerful, expensive and thirsty, but useful and capable. The mav is smaller, but still large enough not to feel small, still reasonably powerful, efficient (especially the hybrid, but the eco isn't bad compared to the big ones) and reasonably priced.

The only surprising thing is that automakers haven't recognized that giving good value will drive sales.

My only fear is that Ford can't make enough money off the hybrids and will find excuses to raise prices.
I agree. Capitalism working, but when supply and demand is manipulated, is it?
I think Ford is on a slippery slope. That $19,995 is an awesome attention getter, if not careful they would loose that appeal. But if the margin is there, and enough people want to buy a 35K Maverick, the entry level XL price should stick for a while. Time will tell.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree. Capitalism working, but when supply and demand is manipulated, is it?
I think Ford is on a slippery slope. That $19,995 is an awesome attention getter, if not careful they would loose that appeal. But if the margin is there, and enough people want to buy a 35K Maverick, the entry level XL price should stick for a while. Time will tell.
One of the problems with free market capitalism is the BS that goes with it. Market manipulation is just one element. Competition is the only cure.

track me

First Name
Soon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, / CRV
the Mav demographics proved all too well Fordā€™s vision to be trueā€¦.ā€˜itā€™s a truck for people that never considered to own a truck beforeā€™
I think it proved a lot of truck owners left the market, but are still out there looking for a basic truck.
The the older Chevy WT comes to mind.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
" Ford sold 13,258 Mavericks in the final three months of 2021, and 2,311 of those were hybrid. "

so much for the idea that hybrids were majority of all orders
This site a!one now list over 4,000 orders. Statistically, a significant sampling size (if not truly scientific). About 62% of those are for hybrids. It's silly to think that this site is an anomaly and that everyone else across the country favors the eco-boost instead. Ford itself is set to increase hybrid production in a few months to help catch up.with demand.

Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
" Ford sold 13,258 Mavericks in the final three months of 2021, and 2,311 of those were hybrid. "

so much for the idea that hybrids were majority of all orders
I read that as well and I have to wonder if it was an error in the print. We know from other statistics that the Hybrid over sold the EB.. so we need confirmation of these numbers.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What goes through my mind is that If Ford canabalizes their mid sized truck sales they will HAVE to raise the price on the Maverick. Otherwise their profits and their future may be severely impacted. But I believe that a large group of people want this small truck. I have driven trucks my entire life starting in 1984 ( VW pickup ) I am not about to start buying a car. So I kept buying bigger and bigger and now it's just too crazy they are too big for the City. I've been crazed asking why we can't buy a small truck. Here comes Maverick! I can't be the only one?

adkbiker

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm old enough to remember how popular the Mustang was when it came out in 1965. I couldn't wait till I could afford one, buying a used 1966 model after graduating from college in 1973. My feelings for wanting the Maverick are similar to that beloved Mustang. Perhaps it's a vehicle people fall in love with just by looking at it. That seems hard to predict by marketeers.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What goes through my mind is that If Ford canabalizes their mid sized truck sales they will HAVE to raise the price on the Maverick. Otherwise their profits and their future may be severely impacted. But I believe that a large group of people want this small truck. I have driven trucks my entire life starting in 1984 ( VW pickup ) I am not about to start buying a car. So I kept buying bigger and bigger and now it's just too crazy they are too big for the City. I've been crazed asking why we can't buy a small truck. Here comes Maverick! I can't be the only one?
That is exactly my conspiracy theory about why there isn't an AWD hybrid. Less margin compared to the EB AWD and would obliterate ranger sales. Not to mention put alot of pressure on the 23 ranger launch. Which tbh there already is. If I was on the ranger team and seeing what the mav team pulled off I'd be nervous. I think the hybrid AWD would have even peeled off enough f150 sales that it was at least something to think about

Sponsored

AKgoalie7

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Scion xB
How are they stunned?

You offer a truck that's standard with a hybrid that aims for 40mpg all for 20k. And people want it? How is this stunning?

I swear these automakers are really out of touch with what people REALLY want. That's why they're ten years behind Tesla with electric vehicles.

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow, really good article. My Wife falls into that category of being female and not wanting a big truck like mine but someone who would actually benefit from the truck bed and all the bells and whistles that come with the XLT AWD, The Luxury Package, Ford 360 etc. if the hybrid came in AWD Iā€™d have gotten that for her BUT we live in snow country, weā€™re getting older and I just wanted some of those extra safety features for her. She loves it to, she already put 700 miles on it since Dec 23rd;)

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A few excerpts:
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day and Ford by either design or sheer dumb luck and timing, hit this one out of the park. Henry Ford is Looking down and smiling at them and also cursing some of the dealers for being A Holes and trying to mark up the Hell out of signed Maverick orders;) if everyone one who gets a Maverick loves theirs even half as much as my Wife does, Ford isnā€™t going to be able to meet the production demand and all of us early adapters are gonna seem even smarter then we are (nah, we were all smart enough to see the potential of this truck segment;) Good luck to those waiting and to us who have one in our driveway!!!!!

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's how many were sold, not ordered. By far, the hybrid will outsell the ecoboost once Ford starts producing enough of them.
Especially when they figure out how to make the hybrid AWD, it will be 80% hybrid 20% Eco boost

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've wanted to try to extrapolate production figures for the Maverick for the 2022 model year for a while now, but until these December, 2021 figures were released, I was missing some information to try to do so. It's but an educated guess based on this latest info,
Good post.

I've looked at the same info, made some slightly more optimistic assumptions, and come up with slightly different figures. I'm expecting about 40,000 hybrids and 60,000 EcoBoost for a total production of about 100,000.

But I'm looking at it the same way you are and wouldn't be surprised if your figures turned out to be correct. A lot of it has to do with future shortages that we are really not in a position to be very precise about.

One thing I don't expect to see is a lot of MY2022 orders being unfilled and carried over to MY2023. I think Ford cut off ordering to prevent exactly that.
Sponsored