Sponsored

Anyone notice a MPG increase after adding a bed/tonneau cover? (Aerodynamics)

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious if adding a bed cover would make the Maverick more Aerodynamic and possibly increase the MPG any noticeable amount? I know all trucks create a vortex/vacuum above the bed while driving on the freeway and thus a slight wind resistance. I threw an empty water bottle in the bed of my truck the other day and got on the freeway and all the way home, I saw it in the rearview mirror flying up and down and levitating from the wind vacuum.
Sponsored

Mark Rash

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There have been several studies on this and any difference is negligible. Most have found a less than 2% increase in fuel economy. Over the course of a year it could make a difference given our current gas situation, but I wouldn't add a tonneau cover just to try to increase mpg. I'd add it for the other benefits and consider any potential increase a bonus. :)

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Areodynamics increase.
Weight decrease.

Net, not worth the cost alone.

That said, if it's worth the functionality to you, more power to you. I'm not here to yuck your yum.

coherent

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, F250 Superduty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure about the cover but surely someone will chime in. I did see a show where they took 2 identical pickup trucks and drove one with the tailgate down (like folks do to improve mileage) and one with it up. Both drove the same roads, distance, speeds etc. The one with the tailgate up got the the best mileage. They obviously do extensive testing in wind tunnels etc and the airflow in the bed creates a bubble of air that helps airflow. I laugh whenever I see a truck with the tailgate down to increase gas mileage now.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Ford Maverick Anyone notice a MPG increase after adding a bed/tonneau cover? (Aerodynamics) 1646938242364

Aerodynamic drag may not change when adding a tonneau cover. The problem is the cab. A vertical rear window has always caused a problem (remember NASCAR Monte Carlo?) because the airflow can't make the turn.

You'd think a bed cap is the answer, except a low-drag cap will taper to the rear, resulting in an undersized entry. No one wants a too-small door.

Sponsored

Gryphandor

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Versa
I've heard it is about another mile per gallon. So short term it isn't much but over the long term I guess it is worth it. I am putting a cover on to keep from having to clean out my bed. Leaves, branches, and pine needles all over the place around here.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A bed cover should give you about 1 to 2 mpg depending on speed this effect is mostly an issue during higher speeds. The vortex created in the cavity creates drag.
Ford Maverick Anyone notice a MPG increase after adding a bed/tonneau cover? (Aerodynamics) 1646951638290

Sponsored

Caper

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will say that it seems to have improved my fuel economy but I have not actually measured it. My driving has been mostly short trips and in winter conditions. You would need to do some long distances in similar conditions to have a accurate comparison. I didn't buy it for better fuel economy.

BJ Wrangler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious if adding a bed cover would make the Maverick more Aerodynamic and possibly increase the MPG any noticeable amount? I know all trucks create a vortex/vacuum above the bed while driving on the freeway and thus a slight wind resistance. I threw an empty water bottle in the bed of my truck the other day and got on the freeway and all the way home, I saw it in the rearview mirror flying up and down and levitating from the wind vacuum.
I ve had soft & hard covers. When I used the hard covers the mpg improved 1 mile per gallon.
I did this on a 2018 f150. I have a trip fold tonneau on my 2022 Mav, EB,AWD.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There is absolutely no way that you will see any meaningful improvement on MPG.

Short of your accounting for weather, road conditions, distance, gas, weight, and wind, you're not going to have a good reading.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It may make a slight difference on an old truck with an 8' bed, but half that length I doubt it.
I am not planning on any kind of cover, I think it looks better without.
Sponsored