Sponsored

Anyone know if we can upgrade the power inverter ?

KingMat

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 4k Lux Ecoboost
I would like to get a little more than the included 400w, maybe something like 1000w.
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe invest in one of these - they don't require the engine to be running to use it. www.jackery.com This is just one of many brands.
I intend to use a Massimo 2k pure sign wave power bank 21nn watt hour battery 38lbs 9"x10.5"x15". On sale memorial day now at Costco $1,199.00. (+$200 after sale). If you get one like this charge or run with DC current (do not lose 120 v conversion twice). I believe the 400 watt inverter is on a 10amp 12volt fuze so it will take about 12 hours to charge if you use it. I believe that the fuze panel shows a place labeled at least 20amp if not 30 for aftermarket brake controller which I may look to use if possible. A 200 watt solar panel will charge it in 5 hours I think. The Massimo will handle 1,000 watts continuous. It will accept input DC at same time providing 120 ac output.

OP
OP
KingMat

KingMat

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your reply but i want an inverter that use the power of the Maverick. Not an overpriced battery that will be useless in 3-4 years due to battery degradation and when used with something that draw 1000w will provide me less than 120 minutes of power. A simple 1000 to 2000w inverter is what i want. My question is, can we upgrade the one that comes with the maverick and re-use the already there 120v outlets.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A few of the questions you have to answer first. Is the existing wiring heavy enough? Is the fuse rated for the power needed? What safeguards for draining your batteries so the truck won't start.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KingMat

KingMat

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When drawing a lot of power you never run that simply off battery, the truck must be on, like a generator.

A few of the questions you have to answer first. Is the existing wiring heavy enough? Is the fuse rated for the power needed? What safeguards for draining your batteries so the truck won't start.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for your reply but i want an inverter that use the power of the Maverick. Not an overpriced battery that will be useless in 3-4 years due to battery degradation and when used with something that draw 1000w will provide me less than 120 minutes of power. A simple 1000 to 2000w inverter is what i want. My question is, can we upgrade the one that comes with the maverick and re-use the already there 120v outlets.
I think the answer is yes you could IF you can use one of the 30 or 40 amp 12 volt unused fuze locations and run heavy wire to location. AND are willing to have maverick active to start and charge while you are drawing current. (I am not sure if there is a time limit or not for truck to be in ready status to start ice if needed). I did put a volt meter into my cigarette style power point and measured that current with truck in accessory mode and with AC ON was 14.1 volts presumably being maintained using high voltage battery to keep 12v battery from discharging. When I pushed dash button to remove truck from ready status the power point voltage dropped to 12.1 so that would be using just the 12v battery. I would expect that if you were drawing 30 Amps off the (small) 12 v battery that would trigger the high voltage battery to maintain 14.1 volts to keep it charged as well as to provide you the 30 amps. This in all likelihood would require the cycling of the ice to recharge the 1.1 kw battery about every 600 watts. I am thinking the 2,1nn w battery would be a wise use and should significantly reduce the cycling time of the maverick since it would be sharing the load on the mavericks 1.1 (functionally 600+/-(?) Watts). Most of the short life you are quoting is because people do not keep the batteries charged properly (monthly at least). A atv/4 wheeler glass mat battery comes with a six month warranty because most never put them on maintenance charge with agm charger.

OP
OP
KingMat

KingMat

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not hybrid, so the engine running the alternator will provide power to invertor.

I think the answer is yes you could IF you can use one of the 30 or 40 amp 12 volt unused fuze locations and run heavy wire to location. AND are willing to have maverick active to start and charge while you are drawing current. (I am not sure if there is a time limit or not for truck to be in ready status to start ice if needed). I did put a volt meter into my cigarette style power point and measured that current with truck in accessory mode and with AC ON was 14.1 volts presumably being maintained using high voltage battery to keep 12v battery from discharging. When I pushed dash button to remove truck from ready status the power point voltage dropped to 12.1 so that would be using just the 12v battery. I would expect that if you were drawing 30 Amps off the (small) 12 v battery that would trigger the high voltage battery to maintain 14.1 volts to keep it charged as well as to provide you the 30 amps. This in all likelihood would require the cycling of the ice to recharge the 1.1 kw battery about every 600 watts. I am thinking the 2,1nn w battery would be a wise use and should significantly reduce the cycling time of the maverick since it would be sharing the load on the mavericks 1.1 (functionally 600+/-(?) Watts). Most of the short life you are quoting is because people do not keep the batteries charged properly (monthly at least). A atv/4 wheeler glass mat battery comes with a six month warranty because most never put them on maintenance charge with agm charger.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went back and forth on this issue and decided I'd never use more than 400 watts. If I go camping or something I have a stand alone generator and battery backup. If it becomes a necessity you can get inverters that clamp to the battery. I had one and literally never used it.

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I had a 2400 watt inverter installed in my truck by a very reputable accessory place in Central Ohio.

It is really 2 1200 watt outlets in the same unit. When they ran the wires into the cab, they used 0 gauge wire run straight from a power distribution block from one of the batteries in my truck. It was fused with the biggest automotive fuse I've ever seen.

Watts = Volts X Amps.
Amps = Watts/ Volts

If you want to run a big inverter, you are going to need big cables and a direct connection to the battery. The cables, distribution block and installation cost almost as much as the inverter.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, the factory 400W inverter is located between the front seats behind the console. Probably not enough room there for a 1000W+ inverter. Probably would have to put it behind the rear seat.
Sponsored