MrCigar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT EB FX4 Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With all due respect, you've had it 4 weeks.
I certainly hope you don't have problems and I really hope that a lot of this is just first year model blues and the 23's will be better sorted. Time will tell.
Yes, my glass is half full, life tastes better that way.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You are correct. My wife has always called the buffeting "cavitation" and I never bothered looking into it myself. Did a quick search yesterday and found the term does indeed refer to liquid. Edited initial post to reflect updated info. Thanks for the heads up on that (y)
I "knew" it but had to look it up to be sure, I guess thats the level scientific expertise I obtained by learning as much from movies and The Learning Channel/Discovery Channel(pre-reality tv) as I did by learning through osmosis(head down drooling on textbook) in school. :ROFLMAO:

apstephen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat 2023 to 2024 in waiting
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately its telling that the long time owners in this thread that are defending the Mav are not doing so by saying they feel like it has good build quality, they are doing so by saying "you get what you pay for." Unfortunately that speaks volumes because if current owners disagreed with the title of this post, they would be up in arms saying they are not experiencing the same thing, but that is not happening...is it? Trust me, as a guy who has one on order, I hope this is not the case but where there is smoke, there is fire.
That is being said because it is true. The persons who have taken delivery and those of us still waiting, have gotten or are waiting for an entry level vehicle. This is the most inexpensive vehicle that Ford makes. "Things" have to happen to produce it at the price point that it starts at. I know that, and you should know that.

I don't know if this truck is going to be a success or not. There just isn't enough miles on all the Mavericks that have been produced at this point, to make much of a judgement on the perceptions regarding build, and component reliabilities. Time will tell.

We should all have known that buying a 1st or 2nd year production vehicle is a leap of faith...especially...on a vehicle that most people have never even seen, nor have done a test drive in, and then ordered! Ford has also been proud to talk about how fast they were able to get it off the drawing board and in production, how they able to speed up the process. Now think about all of this information taken together. New production model, fastest design to production, most inexpensive vehicle model in the company line up....We all choose to order / buy, understanding these facts...or you should have known about this.

Yet Ford can't make them fast enough...I have yet to see ANYONE on this site asking Ford to slow production down to get (perceived) things right and if need be, to increase the price for production changes.

There have been posts on this forum regarding Mavericks that have been in some significant accidents and their vehicle's build quality has so far been impressive in keeping the cockpits intact. That means a lot to me, especially with an entry level vehicle, that I will be driving 110 miles a day as a commute vehicle.

3 or 4 years and we will all know just how bad or successful this entry level vehicle has been.

Bright Idea

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I dont have a Maverick yet and with the order situation, I may or may not get one. As far as build quality, I have not set my expectations very high. Economy, safety, and reliability are far more important to me. I try not to have champagne taste with a beer budget, it always seems to lead to frustration and disappointment. With that said, I am not really sure at what level of expense that you can expect to have high quality. Our new normal, I dont like it but I try hard not to let it beat me up.

Burdy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01' Excursion 7.3, 82' CJ-8, 01' ACTY, 23' MAV HYB
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is being said because it is true. The persons who have taken delivery and those of us still waiting, have gotten or are waiting for an entry level vehicle. This is the most inexpensive vehicle that Ford makes. "Things" have to happen to produce it at the price point that it starts at. I know that, and you should know that.

I don't know if this truck is going to be a success or not. There just isn't enough miles on all the Mavericks that have been produced at this point, to make much of a judgement on the perceptions regarding build, and component reliabilities. Time will tell.

We should all have known that buying a 1st or 2nd year production vehicle is a leap of faith...especially...on a vehicle that most people have never even seen, nor have done a test drive in, and then ordered! Ford has also been proud to talk about how fast they were able to get it off the drawing board and in production, how they able to speed up the process. Now think about all of this information taken together. New production model, fastest design to production, most inexpensive vehicle model in the company line up....We all choose to order / buy, understanding these facts...or you should have known about this.

Yet Ford can't make them fast enough...I have yet to see ANYONE on this site asking Ford to slow production down to get (perceived) things right and if need be, to increase the price for production changes.

There have been posts on this forum regarding Mavericks that have been in some significant accidents and their vehicle's build quality has so far been impressive in keeping the cockpits intact. That means a lot to me, especially with an entry level vehicle, that I will be driving 110 miles a day as a commute vehicle.

3 or 4 years and we will all know just how bad or successful this entry level vehicle has been.
Do you believe build quality in 2022 should be better or on par with build quality from 2001? I'm asking because my current Ford vehicle that is 20 years old and has 497k miles on it seems to exhibit less concerns, than these trucks. I'm not even comparing the engines, which is no contest, I'm talking about the rest of the vehicle.

Sponsored

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Again, love the build quality on mine. That satisfy you Burdy? Almost 8 months of ownership and 13k miles. One long cross-country trip mixed in.

This replaced a 2012 F150 Lariat. There were things that were better in the F150 of course. But I can't say the build quality was that much different. Especially since the plugs were so easy to foul in that engine (3.5 Eco).

But again, I'm in am Eco with Lariat-Lux/FX4 so my build choice might have avoided some of these issues.

apstephen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat 2023 to 2024 in waiting
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you believe build quality in 2022 should be better or on par with build quality from 2001? I'm asking because my current Ford vehicle that is 20 years old and has 497k miles on it seems to exhibit less concerns, than these trucks. I'm not even comparing the engines, which is no contest, I'm talking about the rest of the vehicle.
Can't compare two different models 21 years apart. They aren't the same. Especially if one is body on frame and the other is a unibody.

Do you expect the build quality to be the same on a 2022 Super duty Platinum vs a 2022 Maverick? I surely don't. Entry level vehicle, compared to upper part of Ford vehicle lineup. I would be pissed to buy a Platinum and have equal or worse build quality to a maverick. Especially since the OP is talking about Maverick "unimpressive" build quality.

Apples to Oranges.

oleafo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Corwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The tailgate cables that hold it at 90 degrees have stretched a little on mine. It hangs on one side only now unless I put weight on the gate.

Gate hangs downwards past 90 now.

Also, the plastic trim pieces on the top of the bed sides are deformed. I never noticed it until I parked next to another new maverick a few months after I got mine. Called the dealer about it and I've got to wait until late Jan before they will even look at it.

mtd14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Chevy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I went Target and bought the cheapest watch they had available I'd never think to complain about the quality of the band, or how easily the face scratches, or expect it to be something that I'd be passing down to my son in 40 years. Now if I bought a Rolex, sure, I'd be upset if parts of it seemed flimsy. Let's all be realistic here. And keep in mind that the average price of a new car in 2022 was $48,301 -- that's significantly more than the most loaded-up Maverick you could buy.

source: https://money.com/new-car-prices-average-50000/
I don't see many people comparing build quality to newly built $50,000+ vehicles in here, can you point them out? I'm just seeing the Civic among newer builds then 3-20 year old RAV4, Fiesta, Ranger, etc. I reckon any price similar comparisons under $35-40k are probably fair, but not applicable to everyone since someone buying a base XL for $23.7k doesn't care is a $29k RAV4 has better build quality while a loaded Lariat for $35k does care that a RAV4 Hybrid for $35k does care.

Mikecando

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes its a 20-30k truck so i shouldn't expect luxury. these are some of the build quality issues ive come across not even gotten through my first tank of gas.

1. There is no insulation between the engine and the cab. When i open my drivers door i can see inside my engine bay. Ill elaborate more on this later on.

IMG_20221125_232306107.jpg

2. The fender liners dont align, mate, and cover the wheel well. tons of dirt, salt, etc gets up inside the engine bay from here and accelerates corrosion in hard to reach spaces, especially the pinch welds. Dirt and grime also easily migrates to the door seals, door wiring boot and can seep its way inside the frame.

IMG_20221125_231729004 - Copy.jpg

3. The rear wheel well fender liner and splash guard doesnt cover or protect the rocker panel and the wheel constantly shoves water and dirt into it accelerating corrosion. i dont think there is a product that could even help this as theres just to much water flow.

IMG_20221125_231113925.jpg

4. this one is a little more specific to me, The steering wheel upholstery is torn and not fitted well, you can easily see inside the steering column into the engine bay.

IMG_20221125_232427607.jpg

IMG_20221125_232746489.jpg

besides the torn upholstery are these same issues on everyone else mavericks? or worth raising a warranty claim?. Anyone else have things they've noticed?
I am completely impressed with the build quality for the low price point. I have an XLT and there is a black plastic shroud between the door and fender. Can not see into the engine bay. Also front and rear tire wells are completely covered leaving little place for dirt to accumulate. I will be installing front and rear Ford splash guards to protect lower paint from stone and debris. I would try and locate an XL and see if it is set up like yours. A trip to the dealer will handle any other problems that you may think are service related

Sponsored

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been nothing but impressed with my XL Hybrid. In the first month of ownership I’ve put 7000 miles on mine. Loaded with tools I averaged (calculated from receipts) 38.6 mpg. I couldn’t be happier. Ford hit a home run with the maverick.

It’s best to not make it into something it’s not, and if you’re disappointed you’re in this for the wrong reason.

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because it increases the probability that ford was able to divert those budgets to more important areas like the powertrain.
I hate to break it to you...

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't see many people comparing build quality to newly built $50,000+ vehicles in here, can you point them out? I'm just seeing the Civic among newer builds then 3-20 year old RAV4, Fiesta, Ranger, etc. I reckon any price similar comparisons under $35-40k are probably fair, but not applicable to everyone since someone buying a base XL for $23.7k doesn't care is a $29k RAV4 has better build quality while a loaded Lariat for $35k does care that a RAV4 Hybrid for $35k does care.
I'm just pointing out that we're talking about a base model vehicle here. It's designed and built to a price point, so some compromises are expected. Arguing about relative quality vs another make or model, especially ones that are20 years old, is purely speculative. I had a 1998 Honda that rusted though 3 exhaust systems and had countless heat shield rattles before it hit 100K miles, so does that make it a better or worse vehicle than my 2022 Maverick with no issues in 750 miles? I also had a 2001 Audi that was flawless though 110K miles but then needed a $3500 repair to the AC, while the valve of the car it self was only about $6K at the time... so is that a better car?

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If I went Target and bought the cheapest watch they had available I'd never think to complain about the quality of the band, or how easily the face scratches, or expect it to be something that I'd be passing down to my son in 40 years. Now if I bought a Rolex, sure, I'd be upset if parts of it seemed flimsy. Let's all be realistic here. And keep in mind that the average price of a new car in 2022 was $48,301 -- that's significantly more than the most loaded-up Maverick you could buy.

source: https://money.com/new-car-prices-average-50000/
This article used a slightly smaller figure for the average new vehicle price of $45,927. But they also say the average price for a full-size pickup truck was $60,289, with small/midsize trucks averaging $40,120. They included the Maverick and Santa Cruz in the "small/midsize" category, so that brought the average down significantly.

Any way you slice it, to me the Maverick feels like a bargain, no matter which trim level you prefer.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Unfortunately its telling that the long time owners in this thread that are defending the Mav are not doing so by saying they feel like it has good build quality, they are doing so by saying "you get what you pay for." Unfortunately that speaks volumes because if current owners disagreed with the title of this post, they would be up in arms saying they are not experiencing the same thing, but that is not happening...is it? Trust me, as a guy who has one on order, I hope this is not the case but where there is smoke, there is fire.
Except that if the Internet has taught us anything, it's that negative voices speak much louder than positive ones. People who feel "wronged" are FAR more likely to complain about something and give bad reviews, while those who have had good experiences generally remain silent. Just look at any restaurant review site for your personal favorite restaurant - I'll be the negative reviews will shock you! (Our favorite local burger joint averages 3 stars on Yelp, with people complaining about everything under the sun, like they were going to a 5-star restaurant for their meal...) So for every 1,000 Maverick owners, there might be 10 who are actively complaining, while 990 are silently enjoying their purchases. (Statistic made up from thin air, so take it with a large teaspoon of salt.) And possibly even more happy customers are spending less and less time on the MTC, because they got their truck and are no longer as interested in the "did you get yours yet?" and "I ordered before the dinosaurs roamed the earth and still don't have my truck" posts...
Sponsored