Sponsored

Anyone else feels Maverick steering is a bit "heavy"?

Gray Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, so day 3 of owning a Maverick and overall more than happy with the vehicle. One thing i did notice is how heavy the steering is. It takes much more effort than any other recent vehicle i owned.....
Sponsored

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
About the same as my Caddy, and lighter than my coupe ;) Feels about right for the AWD with bigger tires.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ok, so day 3 of owning a Maverick and overall more than happy with the vehicle. One thing i did notice is how heavy the steering is. It takes much more effort than any other recent vehicle i owned.....
I think it's just about right. You might notice a difference if your last vehicle had hydraulic power steering. The Mav has electric power steering which has a little less feel. You'll get used to it.

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s a little tight but the overall ride is very smooth. When I drive our Subaru Ascent at 80mph, the hood shakes. The Maverick is air tight.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Drive it for a while and go back to a hydraulic setup. The latter will feel very floaty.

Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the steering weight is programed to feel more truck like than Escape like. I like it

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, but super easy for a truck, I do notice a change switching to Japanese cars to:from a Maverick. Like the Maverick, response effect, it’s perfect. My Toyota Prius is ok, but soft in the center and fights back on real turns. Not like the Mavericks with lane correction ( that feels nuts/scary first time )

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did feel a difference in a year old Maverick XL verses a new 2023 Lariat. 2023 did feel heavy compared to older 2022.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I switch between over-boosted hydraulic Odyssey, stock OLD (hydraulic) Miata, and Mav. They're all quite different! I really do like the Mav steering and driving feel!

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the steering feels well planted on road. I really like the adaptive cruise and lane keep system keeps me planted in the middle of the lane. Not like my wives Explorer that want to plant me almost on top of the yellow center line, I’m always having to fight it to guide it to more center. The maverick is dead center, I generally just keep my hand lightly on the wheel. So lightly that it will remind to put my hands on the wheel at times.

Dmthomp32

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m happy with it. I drove my father in law’s Chevy Silverado today. It’s a nice and pretty new truck 2022 I believe. Honestly though the whole truck felt bloated and clunky compared driving my Maverick. I wanted a Silverado but couldn’t justify the crazy post pandemic prices. Now I’m really happy I went with the Maverick. The steering and handling is great.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Did feel a difference in a year old Maverick XL verses a new 2023 Lariat. 2023 did feel heavy compared to older 2022.
Unless you have the same tires on there, yeah it's going to feel different. The XL has 17" wheels and the Lariat has 18" wheels, so again different driving feel. Also depending on the options you have, the 23 could be heavier overall.