Sponsored

Anyone else feels Maverick steering is a bit "heavy"?

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

2017 Camry was way too light. It would "wander", and you had to be on it all the time. 2017 RAV4 is perfect. 2023 Mav is "heavy" if I think about it, but actually negligible. I like it.
Sponsored

MMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R, Hiboy Scooter, 2024 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Way, way, way too light. Steering has been trending to lighter and lighter over the decades in the USA. It's not that way in Europe. There's also a trend towards less and less feedback.

What really blows my mind is that our Volvo has a setting for steering weight. And the heaviest setting is far too light. Apparently Americans want their cars to behave like video games, where they are totally divorced from the driving experience.
This is what I have noticed also. This vehicle is just plain numb. There is virtually no feedback to the driver.

When I see comments of how well this truck handles I have to laugh. Yes, its better than a full size truck, but no it does NOT handle well.

I've discovered that part of the problem is the software coders. So I always disable all the nannies. Pre-collision assist is the absolute worst system I've ever experienced. But it also will turn off the evasive steering assist. With all that off the coders will not be trying to "help" you and you can learn how the truck actually handles.

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t notice any issues with heavy steering. It might have slightly more resistance than some of our other vehicles, but also less than others. It’s not enough to feel like it’s a problem. I’ve had vehicles that could be steered with your pinky nail, but I found that way too floaty and disconnected from the feel of the road. I’ve also had vehicles with no power steering at all, and the Mav is nothing like that.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My 49 Chevy and 55 Chevy did not have power steering, nor power brakes nor any computer help.
Be thankful for what you have. Or, find a pre-1960 junk yard car. You will love it.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Can't say I ever gave the weight of the steering a single thought. Seems right-on to me. Maybe test drive another maverick just to make sure there's not something off with yours?
Sponsored