First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Jetta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you misunderstood my reply. Or maybe I worded it poorly. As another Dave Ramsey fan, I would completely agree that the house if MUCH more important than any car. I've driven a LOT of POS cars in my lifetime, prioritizing housing over "quality" of transportation. The "well used" Karmann-Ghia I drove in college had no working starter. I push-started that thing for two years, always making sure I parked where it was either level, or there was a downhill I could use to my advantage. One girl I dated said she was embarrassed and wouldn't ride in it again, and my response was "Why? I'm not asking YOU to push, just to sit there while I do it. I could get it fixed, but then I couldn't afford to take you to on a date!"

So if it came off as me putting you down for not being able to afford a Maverick, I apologize. That was NOT my intent. It was intended to be more about zero percent interest rates (and why they aren't "real"), and how those lull us into buying things we should not buy. I've purchased a few new cars, but mostly after we were pretty "set" financially, with only our house for debt. Even then, we either paid cash or accelerated the payoffs dramatically. Nowadays, we're completely debt free, and living off our savings and investments (well, that and a tiny pension from 5 years at IBM, plus social security). And I chose to pay cash for my Maverick, even though 1.9% was still available at the time. I just didn't want the hassle of making payments - even though my financial adviser pointed out that paying 1.9% would have probably been financially smarter, considering we're earning at least 7-10% on the invested money.
No worries, I could've worded the original post better as I've received a lot of answers about finances. We are in a good place financially, the truck is definitely doable as it would replace the Soul albeit with an added $150 or so more a month at most. I'm just having a hard time swallowing the car payment amount as it feels like throwing away money at this point. We've also looked around for a $10-15k truck and in our area they all are over 100k miles. I like to keep my vehicles until they fall apart and with the Jetta only being at 52k miles, it'll hopefully last for years. The girl on the other hand likes the shiny new stuff.

I've also been in the "pop the clutch" club to start the vehicle lol.
Sponsored

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interest rates historically are not high. Everyone just got used to the Feds keeping the rate for banks at near zero % for so many years and are now complaining about what were still low rates at one time.

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So you're looking to finance $23k-30k for 60 months? Well, back when you ordered Ford's rate was 3.9%. So your prospective monthly payment is now a whopping $16-20 more. Yeah, over the life of a loan a total of $1-1.3k more but that doesn't sound like such a huge sum to be a sudden dealbreaker.
I think Ford will honor the rate for financing your truck that was available on the date you placed your order. Check with Ford (Not your dealer) and ask.

Crance

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I donā€™t get scheduled Thursday I may throw in the towel. The ā€˜24 Trax looks legit and is seriously tempting me

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think Ford will honor the rate for financing your truck that was available on the date you placed your order. Check with Ford (Not your dealer) and ask.
That's only for special rates. Ford wasn't running any special financing rates on Maverick in September 2022.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a 22 which I love and took 16 months to get. I ordered a 23 back in September and have no build date so I will probably let it run out and not order a 24.

The 23 was for my wife and in soon the Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrids will be available and the Honda HRV Hybrids will also be available and that better suits her needs.
Yeah, I have a XLT which took just over 16 months. I was shocked when the lariat I ordered last Sept took only 6 months for some reason. Love the Mav and can't beat the price. it took so long for the first one I almost saved enough to pay cash

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm convinced I'm not buying my Tremor, especially after seeing the new Rangers.

That is until it arrives at the dealer and I get a chance to drive it - then all bets are off.

emu_missing

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Fredric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AWD 4k XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone else looking at interest rates and considering not purchasing their Maverick? I have a June 12 build date and at this point the lowest interest rates I've seen are 5.5% which is crazy! I have two different trade in scenarios 2020 Soul ($5000 profit) OR 2017 Jetta (KBB $13k - all profit). Either way I'm sitting at a $430-$580 a month payment on a $30k truck. Maybe it's because I've never had a truck payment but that just seems very high to me.

Truck build, nothing special. Inlaws have property/cattle we're starting to get involved with so needed a few extras.

HPR - Ecoboost - Fx4 - 4k tow - SIBL/Rail
We bought our December ā€˜21 order yesterday, with some resistance from Spouse because she would have liked more driver assist stuff.
Due to all the constraints, we didnā€™t order Co-Pilot ā€” Hoping to get the Maverick sooner ;-)

dcp2

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For decades, automobile loan interest hovered around 8% and savings accounts paid around 5% Now, interest rates are 5-6% on those loans, and savings accounts are paying 2-3% (if you're lucky).
You can get 4.6% on a money market account at fidelity or vanguard with no minimum. If you have 1000 you can get a CD for 5.1% but your money is locked up for a year

mdwebby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3, 2006 Toyota RAV-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone else looking at interest rates and considering not purchasing their Maverick? I have a June 12 build date and at this point the lowest interest rates I've seen are 5.5% which is crazy! I have two different trade in scenarios 2020 Soul ($5000 profit) OR 2017 Jetta (KBB $13k - all profit). Either way I'm sitting at a $430-$580 a month payment on a $30k truck. Maybe it's because I've never had a truck payment but that just seems very high to me.

Truck build, nothing special. Inlaws have property/cattle we're starting to get involved with so needed a few extras.

HPR - Ecoboost - Fx4 - 4k tow - SIBL/Rail
No, Iā€™m not considering NOT buying my Maverick. Mine should be here at the beginning of June and I so ready for it to be here.

robbyrob

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Only if itā€™s never scheduled for production.

No intention of ordering a MY 2024 when the order bank opens in July 2023. Not interested in another year of disappointment.
came in yesterday 05/17 picking it up Friday 05/19

Ford Maverick Anyone else considering not buying?! shipped

Ford Maverick Anyone else considering not buying?! truck1
Sponsored